Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old December 15th, 2010, 12:55 PM

scottwoods Woo who?
Scottwoods Custom Obstacles

First-time poster and HS rookie!

I haven't had the game long but I'm hooked and I couldn't help myself: I had to get in on the custom action. The ones posted here right now are still in progress, but they are largely just unpainted at this point.

Details on individual projects will follow this initial post. Thanks to all of you for keeping HS alive long enough for me to get to it!

hs_walls_combined by scottwoods

hs_wallc1 by scottwoods

hs_tombstone by scottwoods

hs_sphinx_scale by scottwoods

hs_rocks_combined by scottwoods

hs_jail2 by scottwoods

hs_jail1 by scottwoods

hs_jail4_detail by scottwoods

hs_excalibur3_scale by scottwoods

hs_column5 by scottwoods
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:03 PM

KRUG! knows what's in an order marker KRUG! knows what's in an order marker
Re: Scottwoods Custom Obstacles

Nice work, and welcome to the site! Looks like you are using green floral foam, except for your sphinx. What is the sphinx made of? Looking forward to checking out more of your work.

Withhold no sacrifice,
grudge no toil,
seek no sordid gain,
fear no foe.
All will be well.
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:37 PM

scottwoods Woo who?

You are correct, though I used two different types of floral foam to see which one worked best. You see both of them at play here.

For the tombstone, sphinx and Excalibur I used "Super Sculpy Firm". I did some experiments and even though I didn't really want a medium I had to bake, it worked out the best.
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM

KRUG! knows what's in an order marker KRUG! knows what's in an order marker

My guess was sculpy, or something similar. Your sculpy stuff came out fine, much better than I could do. I have zero sculpting skills

Withhold no sacrifice,
grudge no toil,
seek no sordid gain,
fear no foe.
All will be well.
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:27 PM

scottwoods Woo who?

I'll be investigating other mediums for this purpose ultimately. Some of this stuff is fine for certain items or sizes, but becomes more difficult to make look good for other things. Paperclay is often made to sound like mana from heaven, but it's really too soft and gritty for a lot of this tiny stuff until it hardens some...which just makes it brittle.
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

When working with the floral foam do you coat it with anything after working it to keep it from disintegrating? I have used it a couple of times but it seems to "shed" if I handle it too much.
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
When working with the floral foam do you coat it with anything after working it to keep it from disintegrating? I have used it a couple of times but it seems to "shed" if I handle it too much.
A couple of things you can do with it: use paper towels in a paper mache paste to cover it (gives sort of a stuccoed texture) or paint diluted white glue over the entire surface
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
...paint diluted white glue over the entire surface
I should have thought of that.
I do that very thing to protect blue foam from spray paint before painting.
Thanks, Cav.
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM

scottwoods Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
No matter what foam you use you're going to want to coat it with Mod Podge, or a diluted glue/water mix. I use it VERY lightly on the first coat so that I don't damage the detail work, but after that first coat I can go as heavy as I want.

I used raw Mod Podge, no water (but very light strokes!), though I TOTALLY see why people do cut it. By itself it's kind of thick and can be hard on really fine areas of the foam. The water can make it flow a lot easier into those tight spots (or parts that might crumble on the first coat). So on the wall...

hs_walls8 by scottwoods

...it wasn't that big a deal. But on my Old West jail...

hs_jail3 by scottwoods

...the exposed bricks and the hash marks on the cell wall were really fragile until I got a coat of MP on and let it dry. Once that dried I could go crazy.

Also, I use the matte version so that it isn't all shiny. Probably doesn't matter since I'll be painting it all, but it's my preference.

Everything I used to make everything on this page came from a trip to Michael's.
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:35 PM

DeathByUtgar Woo who?

very nice stuff

U.S Marines allowing enemies of the U.S a chance to die for their country since 1775.
my modest custom units and terrain
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

Awesome stuff!
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:45 AM

scottwoods Woo who?

Thanks everyone! It's a start.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles