Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old October 26th, 2006, 11:17 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Heroscape Maps Approved for Competitive and Tournament Play

By-laws

Goal: To offer the Heroscape gaming community balanced, playtested maps for both tournament and competitive play. And to establish standards for playable, balanced, and aesthetic maps.

SECTION 1: Submission guidelines and tips
1. Maps shall contain 24 start zones.
2. Maps should be balanced for 1-on-1 competition between two (2) 500 point armies.
3. Maps shall be limited to 1 MS and up to 3 terrain expansions, no two of which can be the same, with the exception that 2 Road to the Forgotten Forests are allowed. Keep in mind the fewer expansions a map includes the more likely it is to be used. If the map makes use of a few wave expansion tiles, that will be acceptable. Submitted maps must state what expansions are needed.
4. Anyone can nominate a map for consideration, but it will not go through the judging process without a majority vote of the Council.
5. Submitted maps must include build instructions.
6. Glyphs are not required, but any number may be used to enhance a map.
7. Maps should not heavily favor any one special ability to the point that it makes the map non-competitive if an army does not contain that ability (i.e. flying, lava resistance, etc.).
8. Do NOT slap a map together and nominate it for consideration. Playtest your submitted map AT LEAST once, or judges will be likely to hunt you down and flog you with wet noodles.

SECTION 2: How maps are judged
1. Maps nominated for consideration will go through the following process after a majority vote of the judges.
2. Maps will be playtested competitively at least once by all judges, using 500 point armies. Candidates for approval will be playtested more than once.
3. Consideration for approved maps will be given, generally, based on the following criteria and in this order: balance, interesting play, and aesthetics.
4. Time for consideration is: as long as it takes for the judges to make an informed decision.
5. Great maps will be approved; not good ones. Don't let this discourage you.
6. Judge discussions will occur in a public forum on the official non-official Heroscape web site: Currently www.heroscapers.com
7. Voting on maps will occur in private, but vote totals will be presented publicly.
8. Maps that receive a super-majority of 75% of the Council will be formatted and given the Battlefields of Valhalla Seal of Approval. Judges may abstain from a vote on a particular map, thereby reducing the total number of votes needed for acceptance.

SECTION 3: Self-governance
1. The Council will contain six judges. The first judges are: CornPuff, Eclipse, Revdyer, Riggler, R˙chean and UranusPChicago.
2. Judges will maintain their position unless a) They are not heard from by fellow judges on the official non-official Heroscape web site for a period of 31 days, or b) They abstain for a total of three months or for three consecutive maps under consideration, whichever comes later.
3. If a vacancy on the council occurs, judges will be replaced by those who a) show interest in serving, and b) after consideration of the sitting judges receive 75 % vote of approval. Voting and discussion of a replacement judge may occur in private.
4. Judges will not be allowed to vote on their own maps. During the judging of their own maps their vote will be considered an abstention for the percentages needed to both playtest and approve the map. Their vote will NOT be counted as an abstention for purposes of the "three consecutive maps" criteria in Section 3-2-b.
5. These by-laws may be changed and amended at any time by a 75 % vote of sitting judges.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal
I think all boards should have a 24 starting zone, just add more tiles on the back side ( what I did in Canton was for the boards that didn't have 24 starting spaces, you could only add extra spaces if you needed them ). We used random glyphs in the canton Tourney and I think it worked out better then knowing what was where. In the Central Ohio tourney you had people wanting one side or the other because they wanted to be closer to the attack glyph verses the defense glyph. When they are random ( unknown ) you don't have this problem.

I also made a house rule where the curse only affectst he team that picks it up, it cost me the tourneyment but I really like that rule.

Truth was at both of these tourneys, maybe ask him what he thinks.
You have to be careful not to exceed the single master set limitation when adding anything to an official map. At Gencon we had exactly one master set per map to work with and ran short on hexes by trying to add to deployment zones.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Hey fellow judges, are we ready to do the process on Forsaken Waters?

Almost seems like a trial run, but probably one we need to do. New thread? Hov MAP: Forsake Water?

Old October 27th, 2006, 09:28 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Let's just throw down in this thread. We need a guinea pig map to work with and what better map to work with than Forsaken Waters. I think the only real decisions to be made are on glyphs and starting zones.

Let's get this thing rolling...

Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old October 27th, 2006, 10:05 PM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
Well, FW uses exactly one MS. Hasbro gave us 18 hex start zones. My proposed start zones are 21 hexes large, we will need to increase them somehow. We would have to increase it to 24 hexes without upsetting the glyph balance. Maybe we could add some expansion tiles to the back of each side?

Also, I vote for the Kelda, Valda, Astrid and Gerda glyphs to be present as they are in winter holdout. I vote for the removal of the glyph of dagmar, as I always hated that glyph placement because is causes movement over glyph confusion.

This is a good start. Add three more hexes to the start zones in an intelligent way and we can call this one done.

Sudema is top notch in Heroscape: Legacy. Try out this alternative unit cost system at your next game day or tournament.
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornPuff
Well, FW uses exactly one MS. Hasbro gave us 18 hex start zones. My proposed start zones are 21 hexes large, we will need to increase them somehow. We would have to increase it to 24 hexes without upsetting the glyph balance. Maybe we could add some expansion tiles to the back of each side?

Also, I vote for the Kelda, Valda, Astrid and Gerda glyphs to be present as they are in winter holdout. I vote for the removal of the glyph of dagmar, as I always hated that glyph placement because is causes movement over glyph confusion.

This is a good start. Add three more hexes to the start zones in an intelligent way and we can call this one done.

We actually played this with 500 point armies when I ran the flagbears out the other night. we left the existing start zones and filled in the back side of the starting zones with 3 two-hex pieces on each side to bring the total up. That way you don't have to worry about upsetting the glyph or terrain distances. And the only reason most people would use starting spaces farther back is if they had to.

I've never had a problem with the Dagmar glyph on this map. Its a powerful glyph in my opinion, but it is right out there in the middle of the action most of the time. So there is ample opportunity to take it. I give it up quite often. I'm not concerned with my opponent having it until turn 2 hits and I'm not concerned with holding it myself until turn 3 of a round.

Sum up: I don't see a problem with all the glyphs in Winter Holdout. As for start spaces, why not add them to the back side of the start zones. My suggestion from the bottom up on the left side and fill in the middle on the right (to keep it behind existing start zones.)

Old October 28th, 2006, 01:03 AM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
I'll clarify my issue with dagmar (and its not that big of an issue). In my plays of this map, the 'stop on glyph' rule and the placement of the glyph of dagmar caused some frustration. Often times you would want to run over that space to attack, but would be forced to stop.

I like the glyph of dagmar, I just don't like the placement. I'd accept the glyphs on this map either way (with or wothout D), but my preference is to leave dagmar off.

Sudema is top notch in Heroscape: Legacy. Try out this alternative unit cost system at your next game day or tournament.
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Grungebob, that is a good point, I just have over 30 MS so extra tiles is not a big issue for me. Of course my tourneyment was one of the smallest, maybe the smallest with 9 people, I had 8 boards set up, so I had lots of extra tiels to use, and then some.

CornP - I would say add an extra 2 tile beside the dagmar so you could go around it? just an idea - of course this is using more tiles which may not always be feesable if you are limited on tiles.

FW has always been my favorite board from the MS.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal
Grungebob, that is a good point, I just have over 30 MS so extra tiles is not a big issue for me. Of course my tourneyment was one of the smallest, maybe the smallest with 9 people, I had 8 boards set up, so I had lots of extra tiels to use, and then some.
Well when you go out of town to host a tournament like at Gencon, there are limitations to what can be accomplished. The one master set per map is a necessary limitation and should be adhered to strictly.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old October 30th, 2006, 03:22 AM

I really expected judges to chime in faster than this. Were my expectations higher than they should have been?

Old October 30th, 2006, 10:33 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Riggler, I hate to disappoint, but I not going to be posting on a daily basis. Heroscape happens to be me favorite game to play, but falls short in priority to many things in my real life.

Have patience, grasshopper.

On to the map judging...

I am not a fan of of naming specific glyphs to a map, I am more of a fan of picking random glyphs from a glyph pool and placing them on a predetermined hex. I have no reasoning to say one way is better than the other, I just wanted to explain where I am coming from.

I agree with GrungeBob that we need to try to limit any "extra" hexes from appearing on tournament maps. Onesy and twosy extra hexes may not seem like a big deal to us, but that is because I am betting that we have most of everything that Hasbro has released and in multiples at that. I believe that we should limit maps to just whole Master Sets, none of the Wave figure expansions.

That being said, in able for Forsaken waters to reach the 24 hex starting zone and not mess up the balance of the map against the glyphs, it might be easier to stretch the starting zones back. Without changing the lay of the map too much, I think we can get away with moving the 2 three-hex grass pieces that appear toward the bottom of the map to behind the 21 hex starting zones that CornPuff suggested. What do you guys think about that idea?

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old October 30th, 2006, 07:14 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
I think those 3 hex grass tiles need to remain where they are at. I have seen both of those 3 hex pieces factor into games on FW; they should not be moved.

The additional 3 hexes are attainable like so:

the new black spots will work fine to accommodate the larger start zone of 24 hexes.

I feel strongly that the terrain already in place on FW needs to remain intact.

I have already stated my opinion that glyphs should be set for random; I am in agreement with UPC on that point.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios