Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old September 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Re: PacNW NHSD Event - Vancouver WA

Awe. Some.
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Anybody heard if the Seattle group is doing anything for NHSD yet? I haven't seen anything from them, nor could I find anything on a search. If they don't have anything yet, we might want to invite them.
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:08 AM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker

The info I got indicated they were probably doing something there but I havent inquired again since.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

hmm, I thought the Seattle one and this one were going to be the same. You guys are so lucky to have that much intrest that close together. Well, due to one guy leaving and my schedual changing I got my vacation days changed too so now my vacation starts Oct 16th, plenty of time to get to Vancover. I'm gonna have to see if there is a Seahawks game on the 19th. I'm a huge fan and I have to at least watch one game in quest field before I die. So yah, I'm in for Vancover. I'll stay with some relatives in Wenatchess Saturday night. I'm planning to bring all my stuff, so if someone has a place for me to crash in the Vancover area I'd be glad to help with setup and stuff. I have 1 ROTV, 2 Swarm, 2 tundra, 2 forest, 2 jungle sets. I'll buy probably some elves from my FLGS and see ya there!
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Just bring your figures and "entry fee" - we have more than enough terrain sets to cover the event for up to 32 people....and more in town that can bring theirs fewer miles. lol
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:49 AM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Any updates on the maps?
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:30 AM

We are going to get together this weekend again and look over options on maps - the one I would like to use will have at least one minor change to it from when it was uploaded on the site.

If anyone has a map they REALLY want to see in the mix, just say so....and conversely if there is one that you REALLY dont want in the mix.....speak up as well.
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think ones with too much snow or too much lava throw out the balance of the game too much. It's already heavily favored for ranged attackers and those terrains make it even more so. Though roads through the stuff helps counter that. So basicly if they have snow they should have roads too and if they have lava it should be just a small amount, not a full expansion sets worth.
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

I can agree with that (for the most part). The problem with snow can be mitigated by making it "normal" snow (and therefore just for aesthetics). I've found that maps with normal snow tend to be very range/melee balanced mostly because they tend to incorporate the best LoS blockers we have yet (namely the glaciers). Road does help as well, and you can rest assured that Ice + Road maps are being considered.
As for lava, if properly placed, it can be something of a hindrance to range by using it for the high ground that range units need to get decent attacks off. The paradigmatic example of this is yagyuninja's must-play map Fire Isles (one of my top 3 favorite maps ever, and I'm not just saying that because I know its maker watches this thread ). Between its small footprint and lava-laden high ground, I've found that most of the swarming ranged squads that dominate the metagame don't know quite what to do on Fire Isles, and that's a good thing. It's not the only map like that, but it's the new standard-setter (and, now that I think about it, it doesn't use the full expansion set worth of lava... ). Another good solution for making lava maps melee-friendly is the incorporation of the new jungle terrain. It also looks cool and lends a sort of tropical island feel to a map.
Just to further echo our fearless leader Bahde, I fully recommend posting or PMing maps you'd like to suggest.
I just came across this one of Dingan's on Sunday and PM'd it to him:

and while finding the link today in Dingan's map thread, I came across this one, too:

Both seem to fit the bill pretty well.
So, to summarize:
1) Snow & lava can be melee-friendly if used properly
2) Fire Isles is awesome. Play it.
3) Dingan is a fantastic map-maker
4) Bahde is way cool, doing a great job with the map selection, and very open to suggestions and feedback.
5) This tournament is going to rock.

Last edited by Nadom; September 9th, 2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Linked it up just like Legend of Zelda! (Wow, that was nerdy...)
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Those look awesome! You've got my vote for both of 'em.

And thanks for the Fire Isles praise. I don't even feel like its mine anymore...heck, I think you played on it before I did.
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja View Post
Those look awesome! You've got my vote for both of 'em.

And thanks for the Fire Isles praise. I don't even feel like its mine anymore...heck, I think you played on it before I did.
Now that I think about it, yeah, I did...
It only got inducted into the BoV faster than any other map before it and has been played at (seemingly) most of the tournaments since it's been released (and with good reason). You might not come out with as many maps as some other cartographers out there, but every one you do make is very creative (even innovative) and gets the most out of its materials.

Anyhow, I was mostly just trying to give some examples of the maps being looked at and how somebody might go about suggesting one for our (going-to-be-awesome) tournament.

I'm up for just about any map as long as it's not Forsaken Waters or any of its "remixes." Let's just say I've had some bad experiences...
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:28 AM

yes, I like both those maps and see that they are melee friendly. Another thing I have done is instead of just calling all snow the same, I'd use the ice on top of snow for heavy snow and snow without is just normal snow. But things would get confusing if different rules for different maps.
This will be my first time in competitive play. I have 2 different armies I've put together and debating which one I'm gonna use. One is probably more fun but I think the other is more likely to win. Gotta test them out and if the fun one can hold up I'll use it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day