Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Gromazeka Woo who?
Re: The Book of Minions of Utgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
My instinct is that it's worth springing for a third squad of Minions
That is probably better most of the time. I did a little bit of playtesting, and found that the KMA could easily get height and pick of Atlaga in the first round. ( Or at least damage him) The minions have no choice but to kill them, leaving them vunerable to ranged attacks from the enemy's start zone. I was playing on a very small map, but without someother solid type unit, Atlaga becomes a huge target. If he goes down you have nine four-move minions without much ranged support.(Exept Repulsors, which are really ment to deal with a screen)

Despite what I said above, I agree with you about bringing three sqauds of minions, just pointing out that if Atlaga dies their could be problems.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:42 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromazeka View Post
Quote:
That is probably better most of the time. I did a little bit of playtesting, and found that the KMA could easily get height and pick of Atlaga in the first round. ( Or at least damage him) The minions have no choice but to kill them, leaving them vunerable to ranged attacks from the enemy's start zone. I was playing on a very small map, but without someother solid type unit, Atlaga becomes a huge target. If he goes down you have nine four-move minions without much ranged support.(Exept Repulsors, which are really ment to deal with a screen)

Despite what I said above, I agree with you about bringing three sqauds of minions, just pointing out that if Atlaga dies their could be problems.
Point taken. With some of the GenCon maps like "just passing through", there really is no place to stash a cheerleader/cleanup figure out of first-strike range. On just about every other map, though, I can put him 14+ hexes back from the opposing start zone, where almost all opposing figures have to spend two turns moving to get in threat range.

In a lot of cases, though, I'm going to pull Atlaga out early anyway. Bolt of Witherwood is a lot more valuable at the beginning of a battle than at the end. I can see myself putting round 2 OM 1 on Atlaga, and taking a shot at whatever the lynchpin opposing hero is. Sure, this exposes Atlaga a bit, but if my opponent is concentrating on Atlaga, then I can probably bring 6+ minions into the middle of the map (beyond any rat screen) before he goes down, and they can work from there even if they lose the move bonus. Much like Raelin, Atlaga can earn his value simply by getting targeted and brought down.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:58 AM

Gromazeka Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Point taken. With some of the GenCon maps like "just passing through", there really is no place to stash a cheerleader/cleanup figure out of first-strike range. On just about every other map, though, I can put him 14+ hexes back from the opposing start zone, where almost all opposing figures have to spend two turns moving to get in threat range.

In a lot of cases, though, I'm going to pull Atlaga out early anyway. Bolt of Witherwood is a lot more valuable at the beginning of a battle than at the end. I can see myself putting round 2 OM 1 on Atlaga, and taking a shot at whatever the lynchpin opposing hero is. Sure, this exposes Atlaga a bit, but if my opponent is concentrating on Atlaga, then I can probably bring 6+ minions into the middle of the map (beyond any rat screen) before he goes down, and they can work from there even if they lose the move bonus. Much like Raelin, Atlaga can earn his value simply by getting targeted and brought down.
I agree, but Atlaga is fragile enough, that you may never have a chance to witherwood. I was going to witherwood Q9, but he queglixed me to death in one turn. Alot of this is OM placement, If you can go in w/ Atlaga, and correctly predict when he is going to die, and after that have OM's on minions your opponent will be in trouble.
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, but Atlaga is fragile enough, that you may never have a chance to witherwood. I was going to witherwood Q9, but he queglixed me to death in one turn. Alot of this is OM placement, If you can go in w/ Atlaga, and correctly predict when he is going to die, and after that have OM's on minions your opponent will be in trouble.
As many have said, though, Witherwood is just icing on the cake, not the main reason you draft Atlaga. If he dies before using it, it's not the worst thing that could happen. I think the threat of Witherwood is probably more valuable than actually getting to use it during a game.

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
As many have said, though, Witherwood is just icing on the cake, not the main reason you draft Atlaga. If he dies before using it, it's not the worst thing that could happen.
Sure. I would just say that Witherwood just makes it worth throwing an OM his way at some point before the endgame. If a strong hero drifts into his threat range, then it's worth taking a shot with Witherwood, and you get his nice attack, too. After that, just leave him in a high spot until endgame.

If someone tries to take him down, no problem; just get your minions into the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
I think the threat of Witherwood is probably more valuable than actually getting to use it during a game.
Perhaps, but a good opponent is not going to worry too much about Witherwood unless it's a matter of choosing between two good options on where to move or attack.
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Minions x2-220
Atlaga- 90
Q9-180
Isamu-10
500 10 hexes
Strategy: Kill some rats with Q9, then spread your OMs between Minons and Q9, leaving your opponent unsure on who to attack, try to grab and hold high ground w/ minions and cover them with Q9.
I like this army quite a bit, as it has an answer for both squads and heroes. Other Minions x2 + squad killer armies have won tournaments before (or at least placed well). I imagine that the above army would perform admirably.

Aforementioned Minions of Utgar Variants:

Minions x2 - 220
4th Mass x4 - 280
--------------------
500 Points, 22 Hexes, Record: 4-1

Minions x2 - 220
Marro Stingers x4 - 240
Marcu
Isamu
Otonashi ?
--------------------
500 Points, 21 Hexes, Record: Tourney winner?

Minions x3 - 330
Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan - 65
James Murphy - 75
Guilty McCreech - 30
------------------------------
500 Points, 12 Hexes, Record: Ollie 3-1

Minions x2 - 220
Runa - 120
Airborne Elite - 110
Marro Warriors - 50
-------------------------------
500 Points, 15 Hexes, Record: Killercactus 4-0

---------------------------------------------------

In reference to the 420 point Minions x3 and Atlaga core, what about Kumiko as your 'answer' to Deathreavers?

Minions of Utgar x3 - 330
Atlaga - 90
Kumiko - 80
---------------------------
500 Points, 11 Hexes

Personally, I think I'd prefer Deathreavers x2 as I seriously doubt that Kumiko will be able to kill off 80 points worth (i.e. 8 ) Deathreavers before she goes down. Anyways, the Kumiko variant army above is at least one army where she is actually viable, if not spectacular.

EDIT: Killercactus already suggested this idea.

-------------------------------------

Other Potentially Strong Minions of Utgar Variants:

Minions x2 - 220
Atlaga - 90
Airborne Elite - 110
Deathreavers x2 - 80
-----------------------
500 Points, 19 Hexes

The Deathreavers hold glyphs and tie up enemy forces to enable the Minions to advance and engage. When the Airborne Elite drop, they snipe from height and range while under Minion protection.

Minions x2 - 220
Atlaga - 90
Zelrig - 185
-----------------------
495 Points, 9 Hexes

Zelrig bombs ranged commons clumped up in their start zone. Minions are glorified clean-up and hero-killers. Atlaga is either the insurance policy against Braxas or the final end-game clean-up figure.
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccombju View Post

Minions x2 - 220
Runa - 120
Airborne Elite - 110
Marro Warriors - 50
By the way, I've officially named that army "Runa's Finest Hour".

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Warning! Reading my posts may make you smarter

mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness mccombju wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:

Minions x2 - 220
Runa - 120
Airborne Elite - 110
Marro Warriors - 50
Hmmm.... when I read your battle report, you said that Runa didn't do anything...

How can it be her finest hour if she didn't hit Mitonsoul?

PS. - Feel free to refresh my memory, since it's been a while since I read that BR.
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:14 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:

Minions x2 - 220
Runa - 120
Airborne Elite - 110
Marro Warriors - 50
Hmmm.... when I read your battle report, you said that Runa didn't do anything...

How can it be her finest hour if she didn't hit Mitonsoul?

PS. - Feel free to refresh my memory, since it's been a while since I read that BR.
Nah - she didn't do very much, but she was in a tournament winning army and at least did something. That's probably the most she can expect.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I find that it's best to use minions when the map resembles a pancake house.

Old October 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM

killergoat72 knows what's in an order marker killergoat72 knows what's in an order marker

Probably my favorite squad in Hexes in Texas this year I used 3 squads of them with Atlaga and went 4-1 (losing my last match to the winner of the tournament) and while I did face both Q9 and Raelin (not at the same time) neither were a problem.
Old October 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergoat72 View Post
Probably my favorite squad in Hexes in Texas this year I used 3 squads of them with Atlaga and went 4-1 (losing my last match to the winner of the tournament) and while I did face both Q9 and Raelin (not at the same time) neither were a problem.
What else was in your army? Any range?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units