Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old July 27th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Florida Frenzy 3.0 - NHSD

Tampa for me. Orlando probably isn't too far for me, but Tampa would definitely give me the highest chance of being able to make it on my already packed and erratic schedule.

Sup3rS0n1c = Alexander the Great (August Cave) = Siege (Floating Archipelago)
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:44 PM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
As location choice goes, I would immediately say Cool Stuff Games. However, that does seem a bit selfish since the main reason is that it will shave 3 hours off of my total driving time. I'll think about it.
3 hours? You going in circles or something? Even if you drive to Orlando then to Tampa it would only add about 1.5 hours not 3. Recheck your math?

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

If you take I-4, the distance between Cool Stuff and Armada is 90 minutes. I think Mr Migraine and others coming from the east (or north) will essentially have to pass Cool Stuff to get to Armada. Hence 90 minutes extra both ways, or an extra 3 hours.

Zealot, you make a strong case for Armada, but we need to allow Cool Stuff to try and match it. Cool Stuff does support the game, just no one is usually in the area to play.

Whatever is decided, I think we should say that wherever this tournament is, the next one will be at the other place. Fair enough?
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
If you take I-4, the distance between Cool Stuff and Armada is 90 minutes. I think Mr Migraine and others coming from the east (or north) will essentially have to pass Cool Stuff to get to Armada. Hence 90 minutes extra both ways, or an extra 3 hours.
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Quote:

Zealot, you make a strong case for Armada, but we need to allow Cool Stuff to try and match it. Cool Stuff does support the game, just no one is usually in the area to play.
We should at least give them a chance. Heck, they might even try to out-do Armada if supplies become the deciding factor.

Quote:
Whatever is decided, I think we should say that wherever this tournament is, the next one will be at the other place. Fair enough?
That sounds fair enough. Like the Superbowl, but a board game. We should at least go to our Site Sponsor once. They seem pretty interested; it would be pretty cheesy to completely blow them off.
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

A tournament at when then other sounds great, then I can make one

Okay, I see what your talking about with the three hours but at least it isn't all at once.

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
And while I'm gatecrashing anyway, is there any interest in setting up a Florida NERV region? (See the link in my signature for more details.)

YES, THERE IS.

Quote:
Edit: I see nothing wrong with having a Florida rating system like the NERV, but 1) we need a good name and 2) we need to have more tournaments.
I'm pretty sure ollie was talking about making a Florida Region in the NERV system. I think Ohio has done the same thing. It makes a Florida leaderboard in addition to adding our scores to the national board. It's not a different rating system.

Yes, you have it described accurately here Mr Migraine. We currently have three regions: Northeast, Ohio (OVAH) and Michigan (MPH).

It's probably best to think of it as a local system operating within a national framework. Each area uses exactly the same system but comparing ratings across regions is relatively meaningless unless there are inter-region games played regularly. GenCon will at least start us on that path. Ideally, there will be a local system maintained by someone based in Florida (volunteers?) and the regional lists will be merged periodically by me into the main list (link in signature; update coming this week that will include the Michigan region for the first time).

It's not an arduous job at all for the volunteer as long as they have access to a spreadsheet program (I use Excel). KCU Master 2007 and Damja both got everything up and running smoothly just by working from the templates I sent them.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:09 AM

himsati knows what's in an order marker himsati knows what's in an order marker
Talking Re: Florida Frenzy 3.0 - NHSD

Lots of good points by everyone, but what I'd like to see is some direct communication between myself and the two stores. Cool Stuff hasn't shown an interest in actually having me contact them and Armada has not returned my contact e-mail as of yet. That is a point I'd give in Sci-Fi City's favor is that Troy always promptly returned any contact and did at least show a casual interest in dealing with myself (and with Necro before me) in offering a place to play.

I'd like to know if Cool Stuff has sets that can be used as building materials, what hours are they willing to open up early and/or close late, etc. I'd like to actually hear from both locations, those who are their main players and contacts please have them reach me at rickdon@invisiblewar.com.

I'm going to send off a couple of PM's in the next day or so to get people over here onto the thread to discuss so we can get a real good feel for who can make which location. That coupled with (hopefully) some contact from these stores so I can get a good comparison would be nice.

And finally, if we can get this settled soon enough we can help set up some carpools to help everyone get to the tournament for those that have some issues with the distance and cost for gas and such.

Scoring:
Absolutely hear you Ollie on the issue over when time is called and had definitely considered that. But I'm noticing it is just not an issue at places like GenCon with 32, 40 and 80 person tournaments. Weighing that against difficulties players wind up having (I've had to go recalculate for players more than a few times in the last few big tournaments we've had ), etc... If we were doing an elimination-style tournament I'd use fractional scoring since losing means you are out and any ties at all just are extremely problematic in that kind of tourney.

NERV:
Great idea we should join in. My suggestion is that we get FF3.0 off the ground and running and hold those results and then work on setting up a North and South area of Florida with a key person to coordinate in each (due to size of state) with a nice set of key locations available and those two could then work together to submit up the results and we'd have a North and South Florida Frenzy x.0 and x.5 each year plus individual tourneys in-between. Not saying right now I'd be running either long-term but just my suggestion.

Structure:
Looking to the future, with FF3.0 we really have set the precedent for the "Florida" Championship or if we divide and do North and South, state-regional champs. I'd like to keep this as close to how WotC/Heroscapers.com runs (especially at events like GenCon which is basically the North American Championship as it were) as possible; even though we most likely will never be part of a DCI-type structure, being part of something like NERV and following what is basically a standard format that keeps in line with how the truly epic events are being run. This is why (since we haven't actually done 500 in a while as it is) I have put forth the 500 point and then the 75 point reinforcements. Right now the Gen Con championship stands a good chance of going over 600 points for the reinforcement rounds.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by himsati View Post
Scoring:
Absolutely hear you Ollie on the issue over when time is called and had definitely considered that. But I'm noticing it is just not an issue at places like GenCon with 32, 40 and 80 person tournaments. Weighing that against difficulties players wind up having (I've had to go recalculate for players more than a few times in the last few big tournaments we've had ), etc... If we were doing an elimination-style tournament I'd use fractional scoring since losing means you are out and any ties at all just are extremely problematic in that kind of tourney.
That's cool. There are arguments each way, I just wanted to put the issues out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himsati View Post
NERV:
Great idea we should join in. My suggestion is that we get FF3.0 off the ground and running and hold those results and then work on setting up a North and South area of Florida with a key person to coordinate in each (due to size of state) with a nice set of key locations available and those two could then work together to submit up the results and we'd have a North and South Florida Frenzy x.0 and x.5 each year plus individual tourneys in-between. Not saying right now I'd be running either long-term but just my suggestion.
How many games are played between players from the north and the south? That's the key point when determining whether it should be one region or two. If there are a handful of players that attend both some "northern" and some "southern" events, that's probably enough to make it more efficient to be a single region; if it's rare for anyone from one half to play anyone from the other, then two regions makes more sense. It would be possible to have one region with two organisers, one responsible for the north and one for the south, presuming you could coordinate the sharing of information.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the thread and I'm very willing to help out in any way I can---I'm excited to have the NERV spreading. For example, if anyone wants to look through the spreadsheets to get a feel for what's involved, then PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the northeast ones.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

So far only a handful of players have played in both North and South tourneys. I've tried to make it up to Orlando before, but something always comes up. Players down here have been going up north less and less, I think, though if I can finally get up there, I may bring more players with me. I think how much players are willing to travel for games is still a bit up in the air as locations and patterns are changing a bit.

Ollie, we have our big tourney down here this Saturday. If you want to send me your templates and such, I'd be happy to begin experimenting with them. Then, we can see how many players end up able to do NHSD up north and feel things out from there.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Ollie, we have our big tourney down here this Saturday. If you want to send me your templates and such, I'd be happy to begin experimenting with them. Then, we can see how many players end up able to do NHSD up north and feel things out from there.
Great! Just PM me your email address. Also, it's possible to backdate to include earlier tournaments. The catch is that you need the head-to-head information for all the games and not just the standings or the number of wins and losses. But, even if you're unsure about whether you want to adopt the NERV, it might be worth saving that information until you make a decision.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I'm fairly sure I have kept every scorecard from every tourney. What I'm not sure about is if I have them separated out properly... I'll send a PM. Thanks for your work on this. (Yes, work, I said it again ...)
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:06 AM

himsati knows what's in an order marker himsati knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
It would be possible to have one region with two organisers, one responsible for the north and one for the south, presuming you could coordinate the sharing of information.
I'm thinking based on how the players interact we would most likely be one region with two people coordinating the sharing of information over to the main registry. Simply because of the length of Florida and the driving distances only the NHSD and semi-annual tournament have people driving from the South up into the Orlando area. Otherwise it is pretty rare that people from the North and South mix it up on a regular basis or even a semi-regular basis. But there is that "we are Florida" thing that we tend to have going that kind of holds us all together still (we are the Florida family!).

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day