Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun
Filthy's Green Stuff Projects and Repaints

After being inspired by customs threads such as Rocktroll's, I decided to take a stab at molding some of my own figures.

Figure Molding Tutorial
Spoiler Alert!

Finished squad:

Swog Rider:

Ice Troll Berserker:

Goblin Cutters:

EvarScarcarver/Badru:

Silver Surfer:

Werewolf Lord:

Elementals:

Omnicron Repulsors:

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; August 14th, 2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added Repulsors.
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:13 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth
Re: Filthy creates figures with Green Stuff

Nice tutorial Filthy, thanks for sharing.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
Popsicle stick Admiral

Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I love the idea of the lego! I have to try out your technique.

Grats on some good looking figures, dont forget to prime them as the green stuff wont hold onto your paint with out it.

Im curious though, why the vaseline? The greenstuff does not stick to the instant mold. Instant mold claims nothing will stick to it, you can pour crazy glue into it, and once dry peel it off ( I tried, just to test it out and its true)

Also, when you made your first mold, you said you used more instant mold, was it to reenforce your first mold, or was it to make more molds?

Your Figures looked way better then mine did when I first tried, I like how clean they look.

Dont forget to pin your guys to their bases so they dont fall off after a while ( I messed up a bunch that way) And When painting them, try this to see if it works for you, Prime them black, then mix a little black/blue/silver ( drybrushed ) to get that blueish sheen the official ones have.

Thanks for the tutorial, I liked how you solved the alignment problem.
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:29 PM

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktroll View Post

Thanks for the tutorial, I liked how you solved the alignment problem.
Ah, advice from the master! Many thanks for the kind words and suggestions; I will be sure to give them a shot (especially with the priming, colors, and pins).

To address some of your questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocktroll
Im curious though, why the vaseline? The greenstuff does not stick to the instant mold. Instant mold claims nothing will stick to it, you can pour crazy glue into it, and once dry peel it off ( I tried, just to test it out and its true)
The vaseline was to keep the 2 sides of the Instant Mold from bonding. Without the vaseline, I noticed that one side of the mold would stick to the other side. Since I needed the 'freshest' side to be pliable enough to mold around the figure, the vaseline seemed to fix this problem.

Quote:
Also, when you made your first mold, you said you used more instant mold, was it to reenforce your first mold, or was it to make more molds?
I found that one stick of Instant Mold was oftentimes not thick enough to make an adequate mold. So, I made one section out of either 2 sticks of the Instant Mold...Or I broke one stick in half and then mixed the halves each with another stick. Note that I was using the lego piece, so I needed a bit more space on the mold to accommodate it.

Quote:
Your Figures looked way better then mine did when I first tried, I like how clean they look.
Thanks! However, I ended up only getting about 7 good sculpts out of my Green stuff stock. I probably lost about 7 - 8 figures due to misaligned molds (this is about the time I tried the lego trick), and I wasted quite a bit of Green stuff due to placing too much of it into some of the molds. You are right in that it is easy to waste a good chunk of the stuff. Just wait until I finish the mechanized TKN sculpt...
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Was the one package of Instant Mold enough to make all three molds?

How does the dried Green Stuff feel? Is it similiar to HS plastic?

This looks easy enough that my lonely squad of Aubriens might finally be getting some brothers...

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Yes, although I only get 1, maybe 2 molds out of one package. I used one mold to create 2-3 figures, then melted it back down to create another mold. If you want to keep the molds for a bit, you might want to buy at least a couple of packs of Instant Mold.

Quote:
Once cured, it is very similar.

Quote:
This looks easy enough that my lonely squad of Aubriens might finally be getting some brothers...
The trick, at least for me, was lining up both sides of the mold. Once I added the lego piece for reference, it worked much better for me. There is also an art to ensuring that the Green stuff is pressed down deep enough in the mold. Otherwise, you end up with fat figures (I will try to post a picture of one of these).
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:22 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
I used one mold to create 2-3 figures, then melted it back down to create another mold.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:24 PM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

Got to agree here. Just how easy is this, because it would certainly be worth doing this, especially considering how many commons i only have 1 set of.

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
Popsicle stick Admiral

Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rocktroll is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Its very easy just time consuming. Making squads llike sacred banf or heavies or anything over $18 its worth it i you have the time but stuff like wave 1 stuff your better buying.

Filthy try peeling the two molds apart once cold and it should not distort your mold. I'll do this tonight and take pictures to show you what I mean. It just seems like the vaseline will force you to clean up after each mold.

Did you like the gale force 9 greenstuff? Never tried it I only know the games workshop type strip and Im not to please on how it becomes grainy when it gets old or the fact the middle is wasted. Ill show you in a picture.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Its very easy just time consuming. Making squads llike sacred banf or heavies or anything over $18 its worth it i you have the time but stuff like wave 1 stuff your better buying.
I have not even started on the painting side of things, and I suspect, simple paint jobs aside, it will take even more time polish up the figures...As my last, full-fledged painting attempts were with Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader miniatures in high school.

Quote:
Filthy try peeling the two molds apart once cold and it should not distort your mold. I'll do this tonight and take pictures to show you what I mean. It just seems like the vaseline will force you to clean up after each mold.
For some reason, I had problems with sticking, probably due to my impatience. I am not slathering on much vaseline on the mold, so there is not much to clean up. Still, I will let my molds cool a bit longer and then pull them apart sans vaseline.

Quote:
Did you like the gale force 9 greenstuff? Never tried it I only know the games workshop type strip and Im not to please on how it becomes grainy when it gets old or the fact the middle is wasted. Ill show you in a picture.
It was easy to blend, and the cured plastic is firm and easy to trim with a knife. I need to order more of it, though, as I managed to get 7 figures out of my supply (not counting the 7-8 figures that were scrapped...A 50% attrition rate!).
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:11 PM
Popsicle stick Admiral

How much is each purchase of greenstuff costing you? And what figures are on your cloning list?
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:13 PM
Popsicle stick Admiral

Annnnnd look around for casting plastic or casting resin. You can cover your instant mold in clay to seal it up and pour the liquid inside to make the figure. Messy but faster and waaaaay cheaper. Its how I made my armocs and replacement hound.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions