Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Old January 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Thunderstone

Here's a video review by Tom Vasel -
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...w-thunderstone

It's similar to Dominion with the deck building concept, but it has a dungeon theme connected to it. If you like Dominion and are into any type of dungeon games (Descent, DnD, HeroQuest, etc) I encourage you to check it out. It's been a lot of fun. There's already one expansion planned for early spring.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM

nbxfan has disabled reputation
Re: Thunderstone

Just wondering what others opinions are on the game. Since getting it, it weekly makes the table for at least one go around. Looking forward to the expansion and hoping for something a bit deeper.

We're on the right trail. Flies and the undead go together like bullets and guns.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:16 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Id really love to pick this up but my wife wont let me until we get Intrigue and Seaside. Is this as non-gamer friendly as Dominion? Last time I checked at my LGS this was $10 cheaper than Dominion as well.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:30 PM

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
Id really love to pick this up but my wife wont let me until we get Intrigue and Seaside. Is this as non-gamer friendly as Dominion? Last time I checked at my LGS this was $10 cheaper than Dominion as well.
I'll show it to you this weekend when you guys come up.

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:39 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I played this the other night and I enjoyed it a lot.

-Quick game. (~1-1.5 hr)
-Quick turns, so there is very little waiting for others to do their thing.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:53 AM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker

Thunderstone has been showing up quite frequently at many of our local game-days. There's a good number of us who like it A LOT!

One thing of note - When the game was released, there were a lot of questions re: some rules. In response, the game designers made revisions - Rules version 1.2. Version 1.3 came shortly thereafter. After some additional revisions, they're finally on Rules Version 1.4 (downloadable HERE )

From what I've heard, the new rules clear up most all questions and should be included in future printings of the game.

I don't own this one personally, but haven't needed to yet - seems several friends have copies
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrma View Post
Thunderstone has been showing up quite frequently at many of our local game-days. There's a good number of us who like it A LOT!

One thing of note - When the game was released, there were a lot of questions re: some rules. In response, the game designers made revisions - Rules version 1.2. Version 1.3 came shortly thereafter. After some additional revisions, they're finally on Rules Version 1.4 (downloadable HERE )

From what I've heard, the new rules clear up most all questions and should be included in future printings of the game.

I don't own this one personally, but haven't needed to yet - seems several friends have copies
The new rules definitely help but, our group has knixed one of the new additions. According to 1.4, when you go into a dungeon and fail, the monster not only does the bad stuff but, also goes to the bottom of the dungeon deck. I personally am all for it but, the group has voted and it's gone. The reason for this, is that the game ends when the Thunderstone appears in the first slot, or is captured in the second slot by killing the monster in the first slot. I realize that may sound far more confusing than it is. So the quicker the monsters are dealt with the faster the game.

One of the issues that stands out more with the greater the number of players is lack of higher level characters. This adds some need to be more aware but, someone with a good amount of gold could buy the highest ranking character rather than worry about leveling it up. It was in this particular case that the rule was decided about. As I ended up getting screwed out of all the major characters, I started going into the dungeon to just get rid of high point monsters. We all knew the rule so know one was upset about it but, felt that it changed the game too much.

I'm a bit concerned about the expansion because with all the rule changes and clarifications between the original and the new I am not sure what to expect from AEG. If it were a few FAQs here and there fine but, they really rewrote the rules including turn order. It is my opinion based on this that they didn't properly play test the game to begin with.

Should add...we still really like the game. It makes the table every week and though shares similarities with Dominion, really shouldn't be compared. They are alot different, and at this point alot less broken.

We're on the right trail. Flies and the undead go together like bullets and guns.

Last edited by nbxfan; March 3rd, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:23 PM

Yeah, I feel they rushed it out without properly play-testing. I do enjoy the game quite a bit though. It'll be interesting to see how the traps work into the game. I also heard that in the expansion that if you lose against a monster you basically get a curse card of sorts, similar to that in Dominion.

Old August 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM

I picked up and have played Wrath of the Elements several times. So far so good. I enjoy the trap cards and the overall feel of the expansion. It reminds me of Dominion Intrigue. It's more interactive and involves the other players more.

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 29th, 2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: I can double post if I want
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:55 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Does this set feel more polished? Does it fit in well with the base set or do things still feel unbalanced? I know the last time we played you said you felt like some of the cards were over/under priced. Do you still feel the same about it?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
Does this set feel more polished? Does it fit in well with the base set or do things still feel unbalanced? I know the last time we played you said you felt like some of the cards were over/under priced. Do you still feel the same about it?
I think it's more "polished". I think the cards are probably costed right. It's just the whole you hate to buy a $2 card when you have $11 even though the $2 Arcane Energies Card is what you need at the time. We had this situation last night. My wife and I had 3 monsters in the dungeon that only were affected by magic attacks. Neither of us had enough magic attacks because most of the Runespawns were killed off with various trap cards. So it was late in the game when we were getting high money but had to end up buying the $2 Arcane Energies card so we could get some magic attacks.

Old October 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM

I've tried finding erata or facts for the Wrath of Elements expansion but can't seem to find any.

Just wondering how people are playing Toryn with his ability to equip multiple weapons. The book specifically states to ignore weight and not add them together but this seems ludicrous. The one game we did play it worked out well in that pole arms only weigh 2 anyway so he could hold three from a level one and still be under his weight restriction of 7. This of course meaning the rule didn't actually matter. But, there were also flaming swords.

As we have only played a single game with the new expansion, I am not sure how this will effect things further down the line. So, I guess I'm asking if anyone finds this way to over powering or if it balances out well. Our group is discussing wether we will house rule it to be that he can only carry up to his weight in weapons which seems reasonable.

Considering all the revisions for the original game, I am just surprised there isn't something for the expansion yet.

Oh and just to give my opinion of the play thru. We all really liked the additional cards. Our dungeon ended up being massive because two sets of dungeon features came out and, one of those was a pick two. So we ended up with alot of new cards. Can't wait to play more often but we generally have to many people.

Last edited by nbxfan; October 24th, 2010 at 06:20 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games