Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events
Online Heroscape Games and Events Play Heroscape online with people across the country and around the globe.

Old October 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Online 'Scape Season 10 - Round 1 Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScapeRaider View Post
Personally, I understand the argument that the better players have earned the right to better seeds, but I like that we don't play that way. I feel like if new players know that they will be going up against the best of the best, they will either play it too safely or take stupid risks. While these can be effective playstyles, they are highly army dependant, so they will probably get crushed much worse than they should have, which can be discouraging. Its not that people have an issue with losing (well, generally its not that), its that people don't like losing because they didn't play well. If I play my best and I get killed, so be it: I played a good player. If I leave my flag totally open in the second round, and the opponent wisely takes advantage of that, its different. In my experience, everyone has more fun when they are playing someone of roughly the same skill level.

~~ScapeRaider, totally unbiased from the bottome of the ladder
It's because new players are not seeded as they should be.

The new players should have a better seed than the players with a win ratio under 50%.

Old October 16th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I agree with you that 0-0 should be better than a W/L ratio under 1, but the ranking system drastically favors people with more total games played. A new player would be seeded above the number 25 (?) player, MegaSilver.
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:49 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I don't think it makes any sense at all to seed a new player over someone like Megasilver, who has a slightly below-50% record but has proven himself to be a solid player.

I also think it's a large overstatement to say the system "drastically favors people with more total games played". Case in point would be that Megasilver is quite a bit behind people with drastically fewer games, like robber, who is 9-6.

The reality is that the ranking algorithm is appropriately suspicious of people who start off with a big winning streak. Lots of players have maintained a win ratio of 3:1 or better for a brief stretch. For most of them, this is a statistical blip, and they fall back into a lower win ratio. The players who have managed to maintain such an impressive ratio for a significant number of games have found their way into the top 5.

(In my particular case, my "secret" is that I've been crazily consistent. I haven't lost to a player outside the top 25 in about 5 seasons. I just keep posting my 4-0 and losing in the playoffs to a good player. )

Last edited by dok; October 16th, 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:53 PM

Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby! Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby! Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby! Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby!

Um quick question. Why am I a sub?
I'm guessing cause I made it late and then you had an even amount of players.

My Youtube Channel

Eraguy816 is

in the Epic Fairyland Cave
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:55 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraguy816 View Post
That is correct, we had one player sign up before you for the "last call" and that person got the even # spot.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old October 16th, 2013, 01:55 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Kevindola and I will be starting in 31 minutes. I've got my Frenzy Forces, he's got his Unholy Abominations (and a monkey chewing a cigar).

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old October 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Thralls sprouted everywhere as elves were slain by Nicholas.

HS Guy played well, but didn't get any frenzies in the first round despite Haduc and Mittens and Lodin. Any thralls he killed in the first round sprouted back in the 2nd round. It didn't help that the dice all around were decidedly one-sided.

When a preyblood captured the flag I had 5 thralls, all Marro Warriors, and Kursus left. The Venoc Warlord still remained on HS Guy's side. He stood disinterested as the thrall captured the flag. Thanks for the game HS Guy.

Heroscaper Guy
Attack rolls: 26 out of 42 (61.9%)
Defense rolls: 6 out of 25 (24%)
Total dice rolled: 67
Time used: 0h, 10m, 44s

kevindola
Attack rolls: 42 out of 73 (57.53%)
Defense rolls: 25 out of 69 (36.23%)
Total dice rolled: 142
Time used: 0h, 12m, 4s
Old October 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Thralls sprouted everywhere as elves were slain by Nicholas.

HS Guy played well, but didn't get any frenzies in the first round despite Haduc and Mittens and Lodin. Any thralls he killed in the first round sprouted back in the 2nd round. It didn't help that the dice all around were decidedly one-sided.

When a preyblood captured the flag I had 5 thralls, all Marro Warriors, and Kursus left. The Venoc Warlord still remained on HS Guy's side. He stood disinterested as the thrall captured the flag. Thanks for the game HS Guy.

Heroscaper Guy
Attack rolls: 26 out of 42 (61.9%)
Defense rolls: 6 out of 25 (24%)
Total dice rolled: 67
Time used: 0h, 10m, 44s

kevindola
Attack rolls: 42 out of 73 (57.53%)
Defense rolls: 25 out of 69 (36.23%)
Total dice rolled: 142
Time used: 0h, 12m, 4s
I pretty much didn't get any frenzies (only one) when according to the laws of probability I should have gotten one about every three tries (35%). My defense dice weren't too hot either and you had great attack dice.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old October 16th, 2013, 03:43 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

The one time I tested a Haduc/Mittens/AA army, I had something like 10 frenzies in 2 rounds. Which was the entire game, of course.
Old October 16th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I don't think it makes any sense at all to seed a new player over someone like Megasilver, who has a slightly below-50% record but has proven himself to be a solid player.

I also think it's a large overstatement to say the system "drastically favors people with more total games played". Case in point would be that Megasilver is quite a bit behind people with drastically fewer games, like robber, who is 9-6.
Hey!

I don't know whether to take those as compliments or not...
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:31 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I agree with you that 0-0 should be better than a W/L ratio under 1, but the ranking system drastically favors people with more total games played. A new player would be seeded above the number 25 (?) player, MegaSilver.
Moving this conversation to the online rankings thread
Old October 17th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraguy816 View Post
Stick around, Eraguy. I am sure that you will get some playing time!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events