Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old May 7th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Heroscape Game Night Ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomolka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Along the lines of the President Game and what hextr1p has suggested is my Raelin/Queens game. Think of it as chess, except Raelin is the King. It makes for an interesting set of strategies, since she is a buff to those around her, but bringing her into play also means putting her at risk.

(Thanks for the nod to my thread, Gomolka--it's appreciated!)
We do one like this called 'Rescue Raelin' where you have to - you guessed it - rescue Raelin from the otherside of the board. She can't be activated until then.

Another one we do is 'Football'. This has to be my favorite Heroscape variation. We take a wide and long flat map with 7-hex columns interspersed throughout. The columns are too high for normal (ie, non-flying) characters to get on to, but provide for great LOS blockers. Then we put a glyph in the middle of the board and you must pick it up, go to the other end of the board and 'score'. Every touchdown equals 50 points, and if you have any dead units, you can buy them back into the game. For example, the Krav cost 100, so each individual Krav is 33 points, so you got 17 points left over for the next touchdown. Or if you wanted to buy back Cyprien, you gotta score 3 times.

At some point one or the other of you will begin to run away with the game and then it's pretty much over. But it sure is fun - imagine, Krug running with a football.
LoL! That's one of the most creative things I have heard of yet. I may just have to try this one, however I see Cyprien Esenwein taking this one with ease. With stealth flying, 8 move, and 6 life, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Not to mention, you can still try to chilling touch/attack any squad members along the way. I can see him making 3 touchdowns on his own before he is taken down, and then by that time you could just buy him back.

This is very interesting, and I'll try it out on my own at first, and see how I like it.
When we first tried it, Cyprien wasn't out yet, so yeah, I guess he could be the Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith of the Heroscape world.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Beautiful idea, rym. I'll have to try that one out.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Thumbs up Re: Heroscape Game Night Ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkurtb View Post
King of the Hill got me thinking and I wonder if a fun variant might be King of the Valley. (Sorry if someone else has already posted a similar variant.) Here's what I've got so far for King of the Valley:
Why I think King of the Valley will be exciting (we'll have to see):
1. There is incentive to put units at a competitive disadvantage, potentially leading to reversals of fortune.
I really like this idea much better than King of the Hill for heroscape (at least 2 player HS). In the real world you play KoH because there are many people and being on the hill means you are everyone's target. In 2 player HS games you are always the other person's target, so what's the point?
I think KoH would be the most fun with 4+ players. Great for a crowded game night, but not for a one on one race to the sunrise.
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I just played a game last night with 3 friends with the random drafting idea I was talkign about. We dealt out 2 random cards to each person, then the rest of the 400 pts could be spent any way you'd like. It worked out really well and turned out to be one of the best heroscape games I've ever played. A very thrilling game so much so that I did a battle report on it. Check it out here: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=18140
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Sounds like a great game (read the report; Marcu and the Rat by gamjuven)--if you have a moment, would you mind explaining how you do random card dealing (not like these are playing cards with the same backs) and post a thread in my Draft thread? This sounds like another great example I'd love to have there for people looking to try unusual (and tested) draft methods! Just adding in two or three cards randomly done can really help someone shift gears and build a unique army (even in higher point games).
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Sounds like a great game (read the report; Marcu and the Rat by gamjuven)--if you have a moment, would you mind explaining how you do random card dealing (not like these are playing cards with the same backs) and post a thread in my Draft thread? This sounds like another great example I'd love to have there for people looking to try unusual (and tested) draft methods! Just adding in two or three cards randomly done can really help someone shift gears and build a unique army (even in higher point games).
Do you mean in your "reinvigorating the draft" thread? Sure, I'd love to, I'll go post in the thread how I do it.

I like the name for the battle report!
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Adrian Monk

Yes--sorry, I meant to put a "see link in sig," but my brain must be melting into my ears, b/c I see I didn't... . And thanks!
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Yes--sorry, I meant to put a "see link in sig," but my brain must be melting into my ears, b/c I see I didn't... . And thanks!
All done. Posted in there, let me know if that's what you wanted.
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Adrian Monk

It's perfect. I added it to the first page as well. Thanks for posting it--we will definitely try that variation out.

I also meant to add before that I really like the King of the Valley option. I can imagine a central 7-hex of sand or something with some raised areas around it (as well as some LOS blockers) and a really madcap battle to fight off each other and end the game with the most points in the middle.

Thanks, again, Gomolka for putting this thread up--great ideas. I have played HS so many ways I thought I was starting to run out of ideas, now here are a couple of new ones that I am very excited to try!

(And all kinds of new ideas now come to mind from these--instead of football, we can also try HS Soccer--where the amount of hits you put on a glyph/ball determines how far you can move it (and of course means you can't hit an opponent as well...). Try to get it past your opponent into their start zone for a score. Great stuff here for not-your-usual HS game!)

Last edited by 1Mmirg; May 8th, 2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM

BigBadBruinsMac is surprisingly tart

I just thought of something that might be fun to try - use glyphs as items/armour to make Heroscape like a RPG. The glyphs would only give bonuses to the hero/squad who has it. Say a hero finds the +1 defense, they put the glyph on his card and only he has that bonus. He could give it one a friendly who is adjacent. If the hero is killed, the attacker gets the glyph and can use it. You could use the artifacts as anything you want such as a healing Fairy (like in Zelda) to autorevive the hero if killed.

Some ideas:

Glyph - Power
Summoning - Character gets Saylind's summoning ability
Negation- Character gets Morsbane's negation ability
Pit Trap - Character can trap an adjacent enemy
Initiative +8 - Character has better reflexes and gets to roll D20 to ignore wounds
Healing - Character can now heal wounds like Kelda
Wind - Character causes wind for the round with D20 roll
Attack +1 - Character get +1 to their normal attack
Unique Attack +1 - Character get +1 to their special attack

etc.

In a game like this you might need to limit common squads to 1 (maybe 2) cards to make it work.

I might try this next time I play with my kids.
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Adrian Monk

We have played this way--can be quite fun. One variation I'll add that we used is that when I unit dies his glyph/item drops to the spot he was on. This helps to restrain a bit the already powered up range units in HS. (We haven't played since the new glyphs came out--have to try that--thanks, BBBM)
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:04 PM

BigBadBruinsMac is surprisingly tart

Yea I was thinking an adjacent attacker would grab the item. I agree the range figures need to go get their prize

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion