Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old March 25th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby!
The Nintendo 3DS

Anyone else heard of this yet? It looks rather interesting. According to the story, it is the next version of the DS, and its biggest feature is the fact that it will have 3D graphics (Avatar/Up/etc. type 3D, not regular video game 3D) without needing a pair of those special glasses. Let's just hope they've learned from the Virtual Boy (I think that was the one).

Links:

Story

List of known and suspected facts regarding the 3DS

Old March 25th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Nintendo 3DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemaster View Post
Anyone else heard of this yet? It looks rather interesting. According to the story, it is the next version of the DS, and its biggest feature is the fact that it will have 3D graphics (Avatar/Up/etc. type 3D, not regular video game 3D) without needing a pair of those special glasses. Let's just hope they've learned from the Virtual Boy (I think that was the one).

Links:

Story

List of known and suspected facts regarding the 3DS
Kinda feel sorry for anyone who's already paid for a DSi XL. Oh that thing you just got...sorry, it's replacement is already in the pipeline, see you silly customer around christmas Ha..ha....

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Kinda feel sorry for anyone who's already paid for a DSi XL. Oh that thing you just got...sorry, it's replacement is already in the pipeline, see you silly customer around christmas Ha..ha....
I know, seriously? You have to wonder when people are gonna figure out that Nintendo is borderline stealing money from them. Of course, it isn't quite stealing, as they are somehow convincing people to just throw money at them for products that don't really add anything new. The fact that I only own a 1st gen DS and can still play the new Pokemon game on that DS is a testament to that. Seriously, the fact that people bought the DSlight and the DSi and the DSi XL and now are going to buy this, all within about 5 years, is ridiculous. And only one of them, MAYBE two, will actually allow you to play games the others would not have (GB Advance -> DS and MAYBE DSwhatever -> 3DS, but I doubt it).

Like, seriously people? Don't encourage Nintendo. Unless this 3DS counts as a kind of new generation of DS (where games won't support other DSes), you are basically throwing money at Nintendo in order to buy into what amounts to a gimmick (a gimmick that as much as 10% of the population can't see, BTW. Just google something about not being able to see 3D images).

It just boggles the mind, how people could A. Be stupid enough to buy into new DSes that don't add much of anything, and how B. Nintendo can actually be as successful as it is by doing this.

/Rant.

But as for the hardware itself, I am curious to see how it actually ends up working. I wonder if you will need to use both screens in order to generate the 3-D effect, which will basically make it as though there is only one screen (as in, both screens are showing the same thing, just in different ways so that it produces the 3D effect). That could end up being a major drawback, as it would eliminate one of the DS's greatest assets as well as its namesake.

Last edited by Warlord Alpha; March 25th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

You guys are funny. I'm strongly considering a DSiXL. Call me old, but a bigger area for both screens will really help with the text intensive games I tend to play (RPG/Strategy). I want a 3DS too, but I can wait until there are a bunch of games out for it that I want.

~Aldin, not an early adopter

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby! Anthasu1 rolls all skulls baby!

Right now it looks like Nintendo is coming out with a new DS edition every other Month.

I was originally going to get a DSiXL, so I can play DS games, but I think I'll stick it out a bit more to see if they have any more improvements to make before I do.

Guess I'm stuck with my Old Gameboy Advance SP.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
You guys are funny. I'm strongly considering a DSiXL. Call me old, but a bigger area for both screens will really help with the text intensive games I tend to play (RPG/Strategy). I want a 3DS too, but I can wait until there are a bunch of games out for it that I want.

~Aldin, not an early adopter
Me too! The XL seems really nice. I've currently got the DS lite, and saw no real advantage to upgrading to the DSi. However, the DSi XL to me gives enough incentive to want to upgrade.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I got my DS Lite back in June '06 and its still under warranty!

Every year I have sent it to them due to stress fractures, there's a Kotaku article on that.

The cracks appear after about a month even if you never drop/throw/curb stomp the system, only play it with gloved hands, and never open it all the way (or at least that's how it works for mine).

Personally, I'll probably be a somewhat early adopter (right after the gen 5 pokemon games are released).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

The first DS is the best one. It can play GBA games, and its hinge will stay intact.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
The first DS is the best one. It can play GBA games, and its hinge will stay intact.
I agree. My son has the DS Lite and I enjoy some of the GBA games. He wants a DSi and I think losing the GBA compatibility is not worth what you get in return.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgrant View Post
Quote:
I agree. My son has the DS Lite and I enjoy some of the GBA games. He wants a DSi and I think losing the GBA compatibility is not worth what you get in return.

I thought that the DSi XL gave you back the capacity to use GBA games with it. Am I wrong?

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I thought that the DSi XL gave you back the capacity to use GBA games with it. Am I wrong?
This is from wikipedia, but they are usually accurate on this sort of thing.

Quote:
It will also be capable of downloading and playing DSiWare. Like the current DSi, there is no slot for Game Boy Advance cartridges. Instead of having Game Boy games, you are able to download games from the DSi Shop.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Quote:
Quote:

This is from wikipedia, but they are usually accurate on this sort of thing.

Quote:
It will also be capable of downloading and playing DSiWare. Like the current DSi, there is no slot for Game Boy Advance cartridges. Instead of having Game Boy games, you are able to download games from the DSi Shop.

Yea, I was searching everywhere and found the same thing over and over.

That really stinks. I don't have a ton of GBA games, but I would like to have the capacity to play them if I wanted without having to use a seperate machine to do so.

Why would you make it so big and not add the GBA slot? It's not like it's not big enough.

Oh, well. I guess I won't be so interested in the DSiXL as I thought.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games