Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old August 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
Casting & Molding Tutorial

Several people have asked me how to make molds and casts, and I just posted a tutorial in the regular customs section (http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=11735). I just wanted to put a note here in case some of you only check the Marvel section.
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:32 AM

Chuckrock knows what's in an order marker Chuckrock knows what's in an order marker
That was a good idea. and this is good info!
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:31 AM

django is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
That's awesome man! Ive been wanting to do that for G.I Joe weapons.

Is the plastic brittle?

Ądn sʇɐɥʍ
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by django
That's awesome man! Ive been wanting to do that for G.I Joe weapons.

Is the plastic brittle?
It depends what kind of plastic you order. Plastic is rated in shore hardness, which is a number followed by the letter "D". The higher the number, the harder and firmer the plastic is, but also the more brittle. The lower the number, the softer and more flexible it is. Some examples to give you an idea:

45D - Soft and flexible. If you're familiar with action figures (like Star Wars) this is like the plastic used for cloaks and capes that are flexible and bendable.

60D - Firmer with still a little bit of flex. This is like the arms and legs used on Star Wars action figures.

70D - Fairly hard with little to no flex, but not hard enough to shatter if dropped. This is the hardness of the SmoothCast 320, which I used for Master Woo.

Once you get higher, the plastic can get quite brittle. I've never used it, but I've heard 80D can actually shatter if dropped. You kind of have to learn the scale through experience, because it isn't a linear scale.

As far as the official Heroscape figures, it's hard to say for sure what Hasbro uses. But it seems like the bases are somewhere just below 70D and the figures are between 60D and 70D, but lower than what's used for the bases. When it comes to long, thin parts like the lances of the Templar Cavalry, they go lower in the 45D - 55D range. This is why they're droopy. If they used 70D they would stay straight, but be more likely to snap. Plus, industry regulations require parts like that to be soft for child safety.

Personally, I usually use the 70D for Heroscape figures and parts and haven't had any problems with it being too brittle. If I had to do something particularly thin and long, I'd probably drop down to 60D (SmoothCast 60) or even 45D (SmoothCast 45).

Hope that helps!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations