Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old January 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
KC Hextreme New Year 2009 battle reports

Thanks to Drew at Pulp Fiction Comics, he always is a great host. Thanks to all the KC heroscapers – TOG, Kharma, darkmantle, paradox22, the whole Hendersen clan, and whoever else I’m missing for having the tournament. It was a lot of fun and look forward to the next one in the summer.

Fomox and I had been doing our usual strategy talks before and I was kind of all over the place with my armies, as was he. With the holidays I didn't get near as much practice / play time in as I usallu like to have. I knew I wanted to play my knights again, but I was getting sick of playing against rats and wanted to figure out a decent counter to them, keeping the knight theme. I took Hawthorne with me to the last KC tourney, but I was a chicken and never used him. I decided to give him another shot. We had a big game day at deliverymanxas’ place the week before and I really went to town with Hawthorne. He was amazing and did turn on me in one game, but it was well worth it due to all the damage that he had done. It pretty much sealed that I was going to take him again and actually use him in this tourney, especially since the Lodin glyph was in the glyph pool. I did notice at the game day that deliverymanxas had a nasty army for my knights that I wasn’t liking, but I figured the chances of me playing him were slim. It was almost as Jexik put it “tailor made” to beat my knights.

Fomox came down the night before to my place and I play tested my army against one of his rats + Braxas builds (I HATE RATS!!!) and against the army that deliverymanxas was taking. The first game was somewhat close, but the second game I got smoked against deliverymanxas’ army. But once again what are the chances that I’d play him?? Of course then we spent all night playing WoW minis and Dominion instead of more heroScape practice, which we ended up both needing.

The 14 of us Nebraskans (well 13 + fomox, but he’s really at Nebraskan at heart) headed down to stomp the KC competition. The army I took was –
Knights x 4 – 280 because knights are cool
Gilbert – 385 – to help the knights move
Hawthorne – 475 – for rat control
MW – 525 – for clean-up

My first game was against ej on If You Can’t Take the Heat. Ej is a real cool and laid back guy and it was the first time that I really got to talk with him. He played a very gutsy army –
Shades x 3 – 300
Jotun - 525

Ej’s dice were pretty ugly early on. He wasn’t getting any good rolls, or average rolls for that matter. I killed Jotun and all but 3 shades with minimal losses. Jotun put up a pretty good fight at the end but was eventually worn down. Ej’s dice finally started to even out. His last squad of shades killed 2 full squads of knights and my MW. I had kept Gilbert and Hawthorne in the start zone surrounded by MW so that he couldn’t get any soul devours, but he eventually broke through my wall and actually got 3 attempts off. I used Hawthorne to kill of 2 shades with blind rage while my knights finally took out the last one. Great game ej!! You get props from me for playing a very gutsy army.

1-0

My next game was against one of the Hendersons, I forgot his name. He was a great kid and a lot of fun to play against. He was actually my choice for the good sportsman award. I was rolling for dispatch and had 2 symbols, but a rogue dice hit one of the symbols and turned it, but he said don’t worry about it and let me use the symbol. Not that it mattered in the game, but that was the kind of sportsman he was. I played his brother last time and he was a great sport, too. The whole family are great sports and I always enjoy playing against them. He had just beaten R˙chean so I was a little nervous about his army. We played on Sidewinder. His army was –
Minions x 3 – 330
Krav – 430
Syvarris – 530

He played his army extremely well and made very few if any mistakes. He lead with his Krav as I dispatched my knights into the river so that I could climb the cliffs and take the glyph. He got a few shots off before I grabbed the glyph. It was move + 2. Move glyph + Gilbert + knights = engaged Krav. His Krav fell fairly quickly so I bum rushed his start zone where Syv was getting ready to reign fire with 9 range. I was able to get 2 wounds on him before the minions joined. The knights and minions battled it out until there were 3 minions left. I had 4 knights left and Gilbert by the move glyph. Hawthorne was still in my start zone. I used my MW to take some pot shots at the minions but to no avail. They engaged my knights, but I was able to get high ground and some Gilbert adjacency and took them down. I bum rushed Syv and lost a knight on the way, but Gilbert finished him off. Great game!!

2-0

My next game was against Max on Arctic Divide. You can read comments about him in the actual event thread. Let’s just say it was my least favorite opponent of the day. His army was –
Stingers x 5 – 300
Raelin – 380
MBS – 430
NGS – 520
Isamu - 530

After him rolling for stinger drain on every turn and getting it every time but once (which he rolled a 9). It came down to 4 knights, Hawthorne, and MW against NGS and Raelin. Time was called so we had to finish the round. I was up on points, but I heard how he mindshackled Kharma’s Q9 the last game and I didn’t want to go down that way, so I moved Hawthorne out of the way because Max had 1 turn left and his NGS could engage Hawthorne where he was. Well, I moved him and them it happened, I rolled a 1 for backstab! CRAP!!!! You got to be kidding me. I stared at that dice for like an hour. Deliverymanxas had just walked over to watch and he said, “watch you roll a 1.” JERK!!!!! He didn’t see the roll, but he could see my face as I stared into my dice tower. I could have used those pink tissues about then. So I lost that game, but that’s what I get for running away like a little girl, right?? I still would have done the same thing. I would have rather lost the game by me rolling a 1, then let him win the game by rolling a 20. Oh well, that’s why I love this game. Of course I probably wouldn’t have minded it as much if my opponent was a little less “zealous (and that’s the nicest word I can think of)”.

2-1

My next game was against crazyangel. She and her husband, stubobj, are new to the mid-west tournament scene. I first met them at the Nebraska Skirmish. They’re both great people and I look forward to the many more game days / tournaments where we’ll be playing together. We played on Marpesia’s Glory. Her army was
Stingers x 5 – 300
Q9 – 480
MBS -530
Crazyangel’s dice where about as bad as they can get. She was rolling pretty crappy in both attack and defense. The jungle terrain didn’t help her much because my knights had 5 defense almost every time. I lost 2 squads of knights before her army fell. She was a great sport about it.

3-1

Remember that statement about how I hated deliverymanxas’s army, but there was only a slim chance of me having to play against it, right??

My next opponent was against my good friend and fellow Nebraskan – DELIVERYMANXAS. CRAP!! Man first Hawthorne now this. We played on my favorite map (that was supposed to be sarcastic) Arctic Divide. His army was –
10th x 4 – 300
MW – 350
MDG – 450
Raelin – 530

Let’s just say that 10th with 5 defense and 4 attack (Raelin, melee defense, Marcus, wait then fire) should be outlawed against knights. I even had height almost the whole game. I didn’t roll bad, Dave rolled freaking amazing. There was one time, and only one time where he rolled less than 50% for attack. He didn’t just beat me, he smacked me around, put a dress on me and called me a little girl. I think as a consolation he let me kill a whole squad of his 10th. It was still fun (well not really…JERK!!) Fomox and I talked the whole way home in the van and Jexik was right, that army was tailored made to beat MY knights, almost like he knew I was bringing knights or something. I don’t think there was anything I could have done to win that. Even my Jesus dice couldn’t pull a win out for me. Anyway, Dave is a great guy and I always enjoy playing scape with him. I’m still one up on you in tourney wins though you jerk!

3-2

I got 15th place or something like that. I’m done with Hawthorne for now. It was great seeing all the KC guys, Clarissimus, Spider Poison, Jexik, and whoever else I missed, again. It was also good meeting R˙chean for the first time. Thanks again to everybody. And (I can’t believe I’m saying this) a special thanks to Spider for giving Nathan that dice tower. That was really cool man, and another reason why I love the mid-west heroScape scene.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; January 4th, 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: You would think that after typing it in word first, I would remember everything, but NO..
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: KC Hextreme New Year 2009 battle reports

Thanks for the report, MM. And beating me with Knights badly enough at the TTO to convince me to try it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM

roostertail9000 is surprisingly tart

Nice report. Sounded fun. Glad you played Sir Hawthorne. It seems he rarely gets much use.

Boise ID Scaper

Last edited by roostertail9000; January 19th, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM

deliverymanxas is surprisingly tart

too bad I already posted my BR in the KC tourney thread...
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Crazy and I finally got back home today. Ended up crashing at Deliverymanxas place since it was so late when we got back. We had a great time and look forward to the next one.

At first I wasn't entirely sure what to take to this event. Crazy and I are still building our collection and have very few multiples. Deliverymanxas was willing to hook us up so now the army ideas started flooding through my head. For the longest time I was set on taking Nilf/Krav/Realin for a core army. I finally decided I wanted to give Blast/Glads a go. Ive read a lot of reports on here about how good and difficult they can be. My next decision was Realin or Laglor. I did all my testing with Realin and was happy. Plus I was able to use Warden who would gave movement bonus to my Blasts.

Army:
3 x Gladiatrons
2 x Blastatrons
Realin
Warden

Game 1:
Map: Division
Opponent: Worsely
Army: NotW/Q10/A.E/Otonashi/Isamu/Rats

As we are setting up I realized I didnt grab 123X order marker but some 222x, this should've been an omen to me how my day was going to go. Worsely was kind enough to loan out his extras which I forgot to return

So this game starts off with Worsely getting drop with his A.E and Initiative. This equals a dead Realin and I think he killed off at least 1 if not 2 Blasts. My turn flip my order marker and we realize its on my Glads and not my Blasts He tells me I can go ahead and switch them but I turn the offer down since it was a mistake I shouldn't have made. My Glads couldn't engange the A.E until their second turn so this gave them free shots at some more Blasts. I finally got A.E engaged a couple killed by the end of the Round. The damage had been done and my army was hurting. Next round OMs go on the Blasts! He moves forward some rats and eventually Zetacron. I was able to get 1 Glad next to the Jandar soulborg and killed him off from height. The rest of the battle is a little blurry. I do remember Warden killing off Q10. We went to time and he still had NotW/Isamu/Otonashi and some rats. I killed off the A.E/Zetacron/Q10. I think I had Warden and 1 Blast left.

Not the start I was looking for but still a great game with Worsely. He was a great sport the entire time and was my second choice for the sportsmanship award. I think this game would've played just a tad differently if I had my OM on the Blasts in the beginning. Not much can be done about the AE getting drop and Initiative. Its just brutal.

Game 2:
Map: Can't Take the Heat
Opponent: J
Army: Knights/4th Mass/Gilbert

My next opponent is a younger kid we'll just call J. J had just got some squads of Knights for Christmas and seemed very excited about playing them.

J lead out with Gilbert but didn't get very good rolls with his dispatch. He was able to get a few knights up to my start zone a killed some Glads off and got a couple hits on Realin but didn't do much harm to her. Gilbert fell rather quickly so his Knights got slowed down. My memory is pretty fuzzy at this point. I don't know how it happened but it came down to 2 4th mass against Warden with 1 wound. I thought a little bit about running and keeping them from getting WtF since Warden out ranged them But I decided chances were better at killing 1 off with the Eviseraxe special and "hopefully" surviving the attack from the remaining soldier. This worked and I squeaked by with the win. Great game and an awesome sport the entire time.

Game 3:
Map: Sidewinder
Opponent: Kahrma
Army: 10th Reg/ Q9/ Realin/ Rats

I absolutely love this map but wasn't too sure about my chances with the rats and Q9 backed up by Realin. This was a very well played, very tight game. I started by trying to avoid rats as much as possible and getting what shots I could on the 10th reg. A rat revealed the Defense glyph while a Glad revealed the move glyph. I never got a good chance to take out the glyph holder so he had an extra D the entire game. After many attacks on rats I was finally able to get some Glads through and engaged to Q9. After a few shots of 4/5/6 and sacrificing a couple Blasts Q9 finally fell. This left Kahrma with Realin/ 2 10th Reg/ Rats (270) and me with Warden/ Blast/ Glads. Time was called before I could kill Realin for points. This was my most favorite game. Karhma is a great guy to play against. I was thinking about this game a lot on the way home and I honestly think I had another Glad sitting water that we forgot to count. I only say this to point out another bone head mistake of me not paying attention. Great game, you deserved the win!

Game 4:
Map: Badru Valley
Opponent: Supergeek
Army: Sacred Band/ Parmenio/Valgaurd/ 10th Reg

This is my second tournament game against Supergeek. I was looking forward to playing him because its so much fun no matter whats happening. Both of us decided to be bone heads and loaded our OMs on the wrong card. Yes that's right I put my OMs on the Glads yet again. This wasn't a big loss for me since Scott had placed all his on Parmenio. With most of my glads sitting in the middle of the map by the end of the round it was looking really good for me. Supergeek did what he could to make up for his early mistake but I had a superior position holding the Defense Glyph with Realin support. He was usually attacking into 6 defense. I walk away from this one with a full win.

Its a great pleasure to play you Scott. Looking forward to our next game to see what kind of mistakes we'll make.

Game 5:
Map: Can't Take the Heat
Oppenent: J
Army: Minions/ Krav/ Syvaris

I did not want to play this army at all. I didn't like my chances against the Krav and the Minions are always tough. I also made some choices that weren't the best.

J lead with his Krav and easily got height and killed off a few Glads. I was way to conservative with my Glads. I was trying to force him closer so I could switch to the Glads next round. This wasn't working out at all. My turn 2 was with Realin and I just couldn't find a good spot for her. I was too worried she'd die to Krav in one attack so I sent her towards the opposite side. She sat over there doing nothing most of the game Round 2 J uncovers the Unique attack Glyph and does some serious damage with his Krav. After taking heavy losses I get a break and 2 Krav die to Lava. I did what I could against the Minions. I would enganged with 2 Blasts hoping 2 attacks from the others would free them up but I just wasn't getting skulls and he was getting Shields. Surprisingly though I'm able to deal with his Minions. Warden starts his movement up and does what he can but dies (not sure how). Eventually it came down to Realin and Syvarris. With the position we were in I was able to get the first attack in but she ended up being right next to height with no other option. Syvarris did his do-si-do and got height. Realin didn't have a chance.

Very good game! I honestly thought I had no chance about mid way. The death of the 2 Krav really was an opening for me come back but J played his army very well and pulled out a well deserved win. I ended up voting for J for the best sportsmans.

So I ended with a 2-3 record and 27th place. Crazy got 19th and won't let me hear the end of it I made way too many mistakes at this Tournament. My head just wasn't in the game most of the time I guess. I had an awesome time though and look forward to doing it again!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

It's no secret that Nilfheim is my favorite unit to play competitively in Heroscape. After yesterday, I'm now 23-7 with Nilfheim, and 27-8 if you toss in Zelrig to get some kind of 'Dragon' record. Although spider or lonewolf wouldn't be happy with that ratio, it's better than my overall 45-19, which is around 70%.

As usual, I kicked around a bunch of ideas with Stingers, 4th Mass, and even Q9, but I eventually settled on 3x Knights of Weston, Nilfheim, Sir Gilbert, and Eldgrim. It worked out to exactly 530 and featured Nilfheim. I'm 0-7 against Knights in tourneys, so I figured I'd put all the knowledge I've acquired in my losses to use. I had also played it (minus Eldgrim) twice at GaryLASQ's game day a few weeks ago on Division, one of the maps in the pool, so I figured I might as well tap on that experience as well. I also got in two games on Marpesia's glory against K-boom playing the TTO7 army (4x Stingers, 2x Rats, Isamu, Raelin, Kaemon), and went 1-1 against him in two close games. This Friday and Thursday, I also went 2-2 against spider_poison, beating a Vydar ranged army and a 4th Mass army on Sidewinder, and losing twice to Stinger-based armies, but not by much.

I'm not saying any of this to brag, but merely to show that I had quite a bit of confidence in the army that I decided to bring, because it held its own against good players playing good ranged armies.

Game 1- 'Sportsman' on Division (Charos, Sonlen, Kaemon Awa, 1x Blade Gruts)

This was the same kid that Fomox talks about in his battle report. He was a real nice kid with a good attitude, but seemed to still be learning a bit about army construction and had a limited collection. The game itself was essentially just a lesson in how great Nilfheim is against someone who has to spread out their order markers. Ice Shards> Uniques w/o Rats/Raelin. He got me a little worried when Charos counterstruck Sir Gilbert for 4 wounds, but I eventually got that under control.

It ended way early, so I spent a good deal of time explaining to him some of the finer rules points of the game, as well as talking about the differences in facing a mostly melee or ranged army when it comes to height advantage. I also told him and his dad about the sweet deal on Raknar's Vision that I was pretty sure was going on, which is a great way to make a good army without shelling out tons of cash. He and his father seemed very appreciative of everything.

1-0

Game 2- N. on Sidewinder (Charos, Arkmer, Zetacron, 3x Zombies of Morindan, Marcu Esenwein, Isamu)

Another kid, and another lesson in how Nilfheim really dismantles most less competitive armies... or so I thought. With careful movement and maintenance of height advantage and watching his order markers, Nilfheim took out Zetacron, 6 Zombies, Arkmer, and got 5 wounds on Charos. One of the glyphs even turned out to be Common Attack, and the other was intercept orders, which I once used to take one off Zetacron right before he would have taken a turn with him.

But later on, my attack dice just turned on me. I made at least 3 attacks of 6 on Charos (my Knights had height, gilbert's bonus, and the attack glyph). Every time, they rolled 1 skull. When I rolled 5 dice, I rolled one skull. When I rolled 4 a couple times, I got 2, but he rolled three shields. Charos took out the rest of my army, but only had 1 life at the end. I feel kind of bad about the way I acted when some people asked me about the game, because I'm sure that N. was within earshot at least once. I'm not lying when I say that I have never seen anyone's dice be that bad in a game of 'scape. But as Matthias said, that's the equalizing factor in the game that prevents anything from being entirely predetermined.

1-1

There was a 45 minute break after the game, for which I was actually pretty grateful. It gave me a chance to vent. spider_poison, R˙chean and some other guys had also lost by their second round, so we all griped together. More to come soon.

Game 3- Worseley on Marpesia's Glory (Airborne Elite, Ninjas of the Northern Wind, Zetacron, Major Q10, Isamu, 2x Deathreavers, Otonashi)

I dug the robots and ninjas, but felt bad for his selection of the AE. Apparently this map had been the main reason he elected to bring the AE to the tourney, but he didn't know that no figures are allowed to move on those pillars. Again, Nilfheim dominated, killing Otonashi, Zetacron, 4-6 rats, 2 NotNW, and one AE member.

When his AE dropped, he was hoping for a longshot I think. He placed all three of his order markers on them, but they were all within melee range of my Knights, and I won initiative, killing 3. One threw a grenade into a clump of Knights, killing one, but then Nilfheim finished off the squad (and his turns that round) and proceeded to run around the table a bit more. Isamu probably killed at least 3 KoW at the end, but I had enough in reserve, losing about 7 of them.

2-1

Game 4- Chris O. on Marpesia's Glory (3x Knights of Weston, Charos, Eldgrim, and Thorgrim)

This game was very close pretty much the whole way through, which was as one would expect with such similar armies facing off against each other. I moved Eldgrim onto the glyph on the first turn, which turned out to be Lodin. We laughed at how useless that glyph would be for both of us, but it did help break an initiative tie for me later! From there on, I activated Sir Gilbert very often, which helped me keep my force cohesive and mobile. I holed up on the rocky battlemented area and the sandy 7-hexer on my side.

On one crucial round, Chris did something that easily earned him my vote for the sportsmanship award. It was a long tourney day. I put my 1 and X on my Knights of Weston, of which I had about 8 left, and my 2 and 3 on Nilfhei- OH GOD, WHAT DID I DO?! THEY'RE ON GILBERT! He let me switch, since it was pretty obvious that was not my intent, and mostly because he was a rather nice guy. That might have been the difference in the game, as I only finished with Sir Gilbert and 4-5 Knights of Weston.

3-1

Game 5- Clarissimus on Arctic Divide (Krav Maga Agents, Major Q10, Isamu, 3x Marrden Hounds)

My Knights of Weston actually made me rather worried about all of his hounds. Knowing that no matter how many hounds engage Nilfheim, he can only take one plague wound per turn, I sent him out once I overextended Eldgrim to the glyph on my side (which turned out to be Movement +2). From there, Nilfheim again showed me why he's my favorite figure, killing 5 or 6 hounds and keeping them off the important Unique Attack glyph on Joe's side. His Flying ability paid dividends, as he soared around the map, bringing the fight wherever it needed to be. Clarissimus typically kept his X on his KMA, so I was cautiously staying near the middle and my side of the map.

On one crucial turn three, I had him fly 8 spaces back over a glacier and get one of the KMA to whiff on their defense from range. I felt if I could cripple that squad, I'd have it in the bag. Before Nilfheim went down, he also got one more KMA, and scored 3 wounds on a normal attack agaisnt Major Q10. The Knights again finished things up, although Isamu and the remaining couple hounds eventually brought me down to just 4 Knights and Sir Gilbert left. He only had 1 or 2 wounds on him.

4-1, 8th or 9th out of 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:46 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

This isnt a Battle report, more of a Travel report. I posted this in the Blog area but wanted to give the non site supporters the same oppurtunity to read my drivel.
_____

I wanted to blog about my trip to Kansas City, MO (actually Lee's Summit) for the Hextreme New Year Tournament put on by Kahrma and TOG.

This was a 470 mile drive from Dallas, where I live. I had several instances of thinking, "what am I doing?", "Am I crazy?". Of course I am crazy, I am a 'scaper. The truth is I had the time and gas prices were low; I had enough coin to make it happen and I really didn’t have anything going on that weekend. With my company also giving the day after New Year's as a holiday, I already had the extra day off needed to make it feasible. I did try extensively to get one or two Dallasites to go with me, but had told myself that I was going either way.

I have come to really, really enjoy the spectacle of a Heroscape tournament. Some people somewhat loathe the tournament scene saying it spoils the game and takes the fun out of it. I vehemently disagree with this. To me, the best part of attending a tournament or scape game day, is getting to meet and talk to other people who love this game. I relish it, I crave it. I guess in some way, I feel like I need it. As it stood, my last such event was in October and I was ready for another. As most of you know, I am heavily involved with tournament Heroscape here in Dallas and at Gencon. Here was my chance to attend a tournament and have absolutely no responsibility to the event beyond bringing my army and my booster. This was very appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, supporting this great game by giving of myself to run a tournament is very rewarding to me. This was just a chance, to just be the end user for once. Actually, for the first time.

So barring some tragedy, I was going.

The guys were very supportive about me coming up and I was able to get Jexik and spider_poison to show up as well. Matthias Maccabeus was showing up with his crew and the KC scene is fairly vibrant even without all the out of towners. It was shaping up to be a large tournament with many known posters. I was excited about getting a chance to meet some new people and visit with some gencon friends, again. Clarissimus, Supergeek, paradox, the list goes on and on. It sounded like a great time to me.

The drive was surprisingly quick, it projected at almost 9 hours, but I made it in 7.5 including stops. Stops are extremely short when you are driving alone. I decided to make sure I knew where the event was prior so I stopped by that Friday night. I saw the batsignal letting me know I had found it.

It is in the down town district of Lee's Summit. I was impressed. Most game stores are fairly rundown, sometimes in less than desirable locations and unclean and generally uninviting. This was not the case at all for Pulp Fiction Comics & Games. First, it was late already after 9 PM. I was shocked the place was still open. Then I see it stays open until midnight on Friday and Saturday. I have never seen a comic or game store keep such late hours. I step in and the place is laid out beautifully. All the games were accessible on the shelves; nothing stacked, nothing booby trapped to fall over when you want to take it off the shelf. They had a large game room that was clean and well laid out. The gaming area also had a side door that opened directly to the outside that helped keep the store from being overly congested; a great store for sure.

By Saturday morning, I was ready to get involved, even though I had the end user mentality. I show up about 11 or so with the event starting at 1pm. I see that the KC guys really have their act together when it comes to putting on an event. Most all of the maps were prebuilt to some extent and brought in on fiberboard. Turns out, my assistance wasn’t needed at all. So I took the time to visit with the people already there and catch up with Kahrma and meet TOG. I set about finally picking out my army; waiting until the last minute is fairly usual for me. I got a kick out of watching the activity, the bustling and set up, the growing number of players, and the buzz around it all. I just kicked back and took it all in. Like a well oiled machine, these guys had it all ready to roll. Once Matthias got there with 33% of the participants, we were all but ready to go. It was a pretty full house.

We had some preliminary visiting, strategy discussions, cutting up, and trash talking, which is always fun. Now I could bore you with game details and army selection and things of the sort, but that really wasn’t what this event was about for me. Sure I wanted to win and I chose an army that give me a decent shot at it. But really, I just wanted to play some Heroscape and talk with everyone. That is one of the favorite between game pass times at a tournament; everyone wants to talk about their bad beat, or how their dice left them, of that amazing turn of fortune. Everyone has a story to tell between games; I have a real appreciation for this aspect of the tournament scene. It is real interesting to hear other people talk about their games, their strats, tactics, and armies. Sharing our stories with one another is half the fun of being there. We all took full advantage of the between time to talk it up quite a bit.

The event, was run rather lax as far as time, which was fine with me. Only a few games timed out, all day long. I had already decided that morning that I was going to stay another night and drive back Sunday. So that fact that it looked like it was going to run well into the evening was good with me. Some of the guys had to make some other arrangements. I was able to put Clarissimus up for the night so he wasn’t driving back when he was tired. We even had a 45 minute break for food. They also did a great job running the event. I never played on the same map twice and, as far as I know, there weren’t any significant problems with the matchups and map assignments. It flowed smoothly through out the day, at least from my perspective. I know how hectic tournaments can be and this one never felt like that.

By the end of the event, it was about 8pm or so; once all the prizes and kudos were handed out it was time to go our seperate ways. I really had a blast and really enjoyed seeing and talking to all the people there. It was an awesome tournament, I would certainly make the effort to attend again. Thanks to the Kansas City HS guys and Pulp Fiction for making it well worth it for me.

I will leave you with some measure of Strategy or Heroscape thought. Long drives give you plenty of time to think. I really like the therapeutic value of extended solitary driving.

We had lots of discussion at the event that the more you play a unit or unit combo the better you become using those units or army. This is so true for Heroscape. Sort of like driving a car, if you know how to drive, you can drive any car with some measure of proficiency. However, when you drive YOUR car, your level of comfort and knowledge of what the vehicle can do, go way up. It is your car; you know the in and outs of getting the best performance and how it will react in certain situations. Knowledge you would not have in a car you rarely drive or are driving for the first time. In Heroscape, making a unit or army work for you requires you put in the time to get the most out of it.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; January 7th, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice " Travel Report " , I'm glad you could sit back and enjoy a HS tourney -vs- putting it on. I understand your satisfaction of running an event, but isn't nice just to show up with you army an play.

Glad you made it up to KC... wish we were there but as the weather turned out it is a good thing we did stay home ( I-35 had cars everywhere but on the road due to the ice).

Again nice report, and I concur with many of your statements.

Oh.. and great pictures!

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Excellent post and travel report, R˙chean. I see now why you say you appreciate the mindset I have towards Heroscape. Outside of actually hosting / organizing / running an event (which I haven't done yet, so I can't compare that), we seem to have the same mentality about what the tournament and its "scene" constitute to us.

Excellent report indeed.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker

Crap. Double-post. (how?)

Last edited by Kahrma; January 10th, 2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: See thread.
Old January 10th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker

My Army:

Major Q9
Raelin (RotV)
10th Regiment of Foot x 2
Deathreavers x 3

I know, cheesy – but I couldn’t help sticking with this one after several practice sessions. This one was undefeated in I dunno how many “practice” games. Had a feeling my luck would run out! I’m pretty sure 3 squads is the “sweet spot” for Deathreavers (if there is a sweet spot for Deathreavers…).

Match 1 vs. Jacob on "Marpesia’s Glory". Jacob seems to be a great kid, and comes from a whole family of good ‘scapers. Playing anyone in Jacob’s crew is always a challenge and a pleasure.

Jacob played: Sir Gilbert, Knights x 3, 4th Mass x 3

I placed my first couple order markers on my ‘Reavers, blocking every avenue of approach that I could. Jacob rushed with Gil and the Knights, placing Sir G. on the Gerda glyph while the KoW took the front line.

The Rats did their “thing” quite well – Jacob’s heavy melee troops couldn’t break through my rodent screen, and were picked apart by his majesty’s finest. Sir Gil was felled after several rounds of “wait-then-fire” from height, allowing my Rats to take the valuable defense glyph. With the Knights faltering, the 4th Mass were called upon to turn the tide. With the 10th already in superior position, it wasn’t a fair fight. I lost 2 squads and change of Rats, and about 3 10th Reg. Result: Win.

Match 2 vs. Max on “Badru Valley”. This wasn’t my first time playing Max. This was my least enjoyable game. It had nothing to do with the outcome.

Max played: Ne-Gok-Sa, Raelin (RotV), Me-Burq-Sa, Stingers x 5, Isamu.

I led again with my ‘Reavers, while Max sent MBS racing to my front lines. MBS broke engagement with my Rodents and headed straight to my Q9/Raelin combo. Sorry kid – the Major is “Large” – can’t do it! Max had to settle for Raelin, but scored with a successful paralyzing stare followed by a full 4-skull blow from height!

My ‘Reavers revealed the glyph of Lodin – useless for me, but very helpful for a Marro army. I sent my Rodents up the hill nearest the bulk of his army, gently encouraging his Stingers to stay low.

I got some help here from some truly awful dice luck on Max’s part. Max blew up at least 3 of his over-eager Stingers attempting to drain. I used the opportunity to secure high ground with Redcoats and infested Max’s start zone with Vermin.

At this point, it was looking like I had the game pretty well sewed up. The 10th Reg had trouble getting into range of Raelin, but were doing an admirable job of plinking Stingers despite her aura. With my Brits down to less than a full squad, I began inching the Major and my injured Kyrie closer to the fight.

Q9 used his superior range to knock out Max’s Kyrie, while my remaining ‘Reavers kept Ne-Gok-Sa out of the fight. Max’s remaining Stingers were falling fast, but kept blasting away to wring free of my Rodentia. I had 2 Brits up on the hill, and used them to keep sniping away at Max’s troops. Without the benefit of Rae’s aura, I began chipping away at Ne-Gok-Sa.

Isamu entered the fray, and was dancing his way toward the remainder of my army. I took several shots at the slippery Ninja, but he managed to evade each one. Isamu’s blade naturally found its way into my Raelin’s back. I made sure to keep Q9 where the Red Assassin couldn’t gain height advantage – but left him within striking distance of Max’s badly injured Ne-Gok-Sa! Max quickly grabbed the opportunity, engaging the Mech with his Mindshackler. Suddenly, I was in a fight for my life! I cringed each time Max’s D20 clanked its way through his dice tower. Q first used his regular attack, but misfired – rolling just one skull. On my next round, I tried Queglix – though I rolled fairly well, the Warlord defended equally well. A volley from my last two Brits was equally ineffective. Too bad Max’s D20 wasn’t.

My pair of 10th Reg did manage to finish off Ne-Gok-Sa. They were no match, however, for my own Q9. Result: Loss – 520 losing points.

Match 3 vs. Stubobj on “Sidewinder”. My first time facing off against this Nebraskan – hope it won’t be my last. Great guy, great game! Oh, yeah – thanks D-Man for letting me use the latest Skirmish dice for this game! Hope you enjoyed mine!
Deliverymanxas switched the dice during a break. Nice one!

Stubobj played: Warden 816, Raelin (RotV), Gladiatrons x 3, Blastatrons x 2

I began by sending my ‘Reavers into the water, then up onto height. My ‘Brits followed close behind. Stubobj began moving in with the Glad/Blast combo, and flew Raelin in for support. He secured a glyph of Valda, while I secured a glyph of Gerda (yeah!).

The ‘Reavers did a great job of keeping my front squad of 10th un-cyberclawed, but Raelin’s arrival made the ‘Trons very difficult to take down. My troops were soon on their heels, trying to prevent the ‘Trons from reaching Q9 + Raelin in my start zone. Each time I could free up a Brit, I’d take a shot at the enemy Raelin. I kept my second squad of 10th behind the water, making attacks of opportunity against any ‘Trons that came too close.

Stubobj managed to get 3 Soulborgs across the water and engaged to the Major, and I managed to take down his Raelin. In an effort to get some firepower on Q9, Stu brought several Blasts in close, taking 5-dice shots at my 10-defense Q9. Q predictably fell. I used the opportunity to knock off several blasts, bringing them to less-than-squad strength.

Time was running out, and despite mounting casualties we were very close on points. Stubobj needed to kill something – a single ‘Reaver or Redcoat would mean another full card. I needed to take down another Glad, or finish off his last 3 Blasts. Luckily, by my second order marker I was able to do both. This one felt was a true horse-race all the way through, and was easily my favorite game of the day. Result: Win.

Match 4 vs. Ian on “Sidewinder”. Another Nebraskan. Another great guy, and another great game!

Ian played: Taelord, Omnicron Snipers x 3, Marro Warriors

My intent was to start the same way I did on the previous game, and the same way I’d started in practice games. My intent was to send my ‘Reavers into the water, then up to high ground, followed closely by the Redcoats. Unfortunately, a misplaced order marker found my dumbfounded Brits sitting in my start zone staring at a bunch of swimming Rats – and no place to go.

Ian used the opportunity to move his Snipers to the hill closest to his start zone, and flew Taelord to relative safety behind a ruin. I didn’t want these guys anywhere near Q9, and started sending Rats & Redcoats their way pronto.

The Snipers began blasting ‘Reavers left and right. 4 defense dice didn’t seem to make much difference against 2-3 dice with “Deadly Shot”. My Rats fell more like flies, but a steady stream of them kept the Omnicron’s somewhat busy. I closed the distance with my out-ranged and out-gunned Brits and finally began making some progress. We were pretty much trading gunner-for-gunner. One of the Omnicrons managed to find a gap in my lines, rushing forward to take aim at Q9. Three dice – all skulls! Q-ster just barely scraped by with Raelin’s help, rolling 3 shields.

Ian had me down to 1 ‘Reaver, 1 Redcoat, Raelin, and a very badly shaken Q9. I had whittled him down to Taelord, 2 Snipers, and the Warriors. I began advancing my Raelin/Q9 combo, taking aim at the remaining two Snipers. Ian chose to blast my last Brit, securing a point advantage while avoiding Q’s guns – but not for long. Keeping Q in Rae’s aura, I maneuvered my Mech into position to successfully Queglix Ian’s remaining Soulborgs.

Things were looking bleak for both of us, though more so for me. This would be an interesting end game! I used my next order marker to move my final Rodent into engagement with the Marro Warriors – I couldn’t keep them off Q9 for long, but every little bit helped! Ian flew Taelord into engagement with Q9, attacking him from height. Taelord earned his points with a final, decisive blow to the Major, felling Q9 despite Raelin’s protection. Raelin did her best to take down Utgar’s Kyrie, but was ultimately unsuccessful. Tae actually took down more than his points! The Marro exterminated my last Rat. Result: Loss – 300 losing points.

Match 5 vs. Cobracao on “Badru Valley”. Cobra is quite the statistician, and takes notes during nearly every game. I was kinda surprised to see he brought an all-melee army for this tourney, but in his defense he was a last-minute registration. Super nice guy, and therefore this was probably my most pleasant game of the day.

Cobracao played: Charos, Thorgrim, Eldgrim, Knights x 3

My first two order markers sent my ‘Reavers toward high ground, again encouraging my opponent to stay low. Eldgrim raced forward to claim the central glyph – I can’t recall what it was, but I’m pretty sure it was Gerda. With my 3rd order marker I sent some Brits toward the center to pelt the little guy.

My Rats did a great job of plugging up the map - Cobra’s men couldn’t evade’em, and began falling quickly to musket fire. Thorgrim picked up where Eldgrim left off, holding the glyph in the center of the map.

Cobra threw Charos into the mix rather early, and sent him over the hill toward my start zone. Big mistake. I sent a squad of ‘Reavers over to tie him down, and then sent volley after volley toward the big lizard. I think Charos was only responsible for the death of a couple rats and one soldier (maybe two).

I chucked the rats and had the 10th Regiment charge at the last few Knights. The resulting melee in the hills was pretty entertaining! Fun game. Result: Win.

I believe I placed 18 of 42, with a 3:2 record and 820 losing points. Not sure where I fell with Strength of Schedule, but must not’ve been great!

I had a blast at this tourney. Lately I’ve been playing more Monsterpocalypse than HS, but this tourney had me wondering why. I was disappointed by my 2 losses, but encouraged by the fact that: I earned every bit of each one! Both were close games, and there were definite points in each where I made blunders that clearly led to my undoing. It’s catching these details and avoiding these small mistakes that makes the difference between a Championhip finish and, well, mine!

Lastly, I’d like to thank everyone for making this such a great event. It was great to see the Nebraska crew again, and surprising to see some new faces show up in KC – Jexik, Spider Poison, R˙chean, Worsely…I’m sure I’m missing more than a few. To everyone that came – thanks for making this our largest KC gathering ever! Drew – you have a great place (it’s much more than just a store), and are one helluva guy for running the tourney (I’m sure you’d rather be playing…) and putting up with us. I feel lucky to be a Heroscaper in KC – we’ve got a great thing going here!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports