Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old April 7th, 2008, 03:15 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!
Battle Report for Ann Arbor Tournament 05 April

Battle Report for the Ann Arbor Tournament on April 05, 2008 (405 points) http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=16282

My army: Marrden Hounds x2, Major Q10, Marro Warriors, Dumutef Guard.

The maps for this tournament had a lot of flat ground, with a few hard-to-reach sniper positions. Looking at the maps, it seemed like the Airborne Elite would excel, but I had used them in the last tournament and didn’t want to take them again (although several other players did use them). In the end, I took the Marrden Hounds mostly because I had just traded for them and I thought they would be a lot of fun to play. I thought they could also be competitive because they would have excellent mobility across the relatively flat ground. In addition, their double bases would let them quickly cross the single width water on most maps. Q10 made up for some of the Hounds’ weaknesses, although my entire army was going to have trouble on “Broken Skyline” if I had to climb the ladders (that turned out to be prophetic). My hope was that Q10 could shoot down any enemy perched on the pillars so I wouldn’t have to worry about climbing.

1st Game vs Draconius (AE, Raelin, Sonlen, Marro Warriors) on Broken Skyline
My Hounds moved well and controlled most of the map early. Hounds killed 2 of his Marro Warriors (MW) and engaged Sonlen who he left just outside Raelin’s aura. He got several bad rolls for Dragon Healing and Dragon Swoop and my Hounds badly wounded him with good attack rolls, a leaving engagement attack, and a couple of good Marro Plague rolls.

His AE dropped on the second or third turn and took control of the towers, outside of Raelin’s protection. I had Q10 in decent position and managed to kill 2 AE before he did too much damage to my army. He flew Raelin up to the central tower to protect the remaining 2 AE (one on top; one on the highest ladder rung on the other side). I killed a 3rd AE and slightly wounded Raelin, but then he killed Q10.

At this point, he had Raelin and 1 AE on height, 1 MW near his start zone, 1 MW on the ladder guarding access to his AE, and a badly wounded Sonlen. I had 2-3 Hounds, a full squad of MW, and the Dumutef Guard. I pressed forward with my remaining hounds and the MW and killed Sonlen and 1 MW, but lost my remaining Hounds. We were running out of time and I realized that I was way behind on points since he would still get full points for the AE and MW even though there was only 1 surviving member of each squad. I continued to attack Raelin and the AE with my MW but couldn’t land a hit on either, and he eventually wiped out my MW, leaving only the Dumutef which couldn’t climb the ladder. I killed his remaining MW, but then we were at a standoff; I couldn’t get to his remaining units and he had no reason to come off the high ground. So he won on points.

In general, I was pleased with this game and with how my army performed. The biggest mistake I made was that I should have made an effort earlier to completely destroy all the AE. I figured with only 1 left they weren’t much of a threat, but that decision came back to bite me.
Record 0-1

2nd Game: vs B (not a board member; Grimnak, Sonlen, Raelin, Deathreavers) on Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh
B was a very young player who hadn’t played very many games. His army didn’t have a lot of synergy, but he used it fairly well, especially his Rats which he used to secure both glyphs on the 2nd turn (fortunately for me, neither really helped him). My army was almost all Large, so one of his major weapons (Grimnak’s Chomp) was useless. That left him with Sonlen as his only real offensive threat who I met with Q10. He initially moved Sonlen out of Raelin’s aura which let me score a couple of wounds on him. He brought Raelen up, but couldn’t get a single good roll for Dragon Swoop or Healing. Q10 finished off Raelin and brought Sonlen down to his final life before dying. My MW finished off Sonlen and the Rats, while a couple of Chomp-proof Hounds polished off Grimnak. Double-based figures worked very well on this map since they could take shortcuts through the pools without stopping.
RECORD 1-1

3rd Game: vs ZBeeblebrox (Marro Drones x3, Me-Burq-Sa, Stingers x2, Deathreavers x2*) on Turret Rocks (* he had to play with 1 less Rat due to starting zone size)
I had play tested this map and my army did very well in playtesting. My Hounds could quickly cross the river to secure the Attack Glyph, and they could quickly climb onto the high ground to deny access to the enemy. Of course this depended on getting at least average rolls for Pack Movement.

This game started badly for me right from the start when I rolled “2” twice in a row for my Hounds movement. This meant I moved a total of 4 spaces in 2 moves; I even had to roll for Plague on my own Dumutef because I couldn’t get away from him (the roll failed, just like every other Plague roll I made in this game). Obviously he got the glyph, but other than that I still wasn’t in too bad a position. He was controlling the center of the battlefield with his Rats, but I felt that I could still break through his Rat screen and get to all those non-Soulborg units who I could Plague. I brought Q10 into the fight and he used his Wrist Rocket to kill quite a few Rats and Drones, but ZB did a good job of keeping Q10 engaged with enough units that I could never get a good shot on the Rat holding the Glyph. It could have gotten ugly during this part of the game, but he was having terrible luck with his Drone rolls – he only got to move more than 1 squad once and they weren’t then in a position to attack me. It was a back-and-forth battle in the middle of the map, but I was gradually winning my way through and I felt pretty good about my chances. I had lost several Hounds, but Q10 was unwounded and ZB was down to a couple of Rats and 1 squad of Drones (he hadn’t moved his Stingers from his start zone yet). Then he attacked Q10 with a Drone who was much lower in the river – he rolled 4 skulls (Attack Glyph) and I got ZERO shields so Q10 went directly to the scrap heap. ZB killed another Hound in the same turn and everything went downhill from there. He brought up his Stingers and it was pretty much just clean-up.
RECORD 1-2 for a finish of 6th place out of 8

I didn’t place very well, but I had a great time. I don’t think I made any huge mistakes (just a lot of little ones), and I definitely improved from my last Tourney (this was just my second). I also discovered that the Hounds are a blast to play, as long as you can get away from those pesky Deathreavers.

On a related note, I get to be the proud father bragging about my son. He is 9 years old and became the youngest Ann Arbor champion by going 3-0 and winning the whole thing. He made some mistakes along the way, but played well enough to make it through without a loss. Congratulations, son! (but you could let me win every once an a while )
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:19 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart
Great battle Report. Out of curiosity, what was your son's army?
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pti88888888
He played Cyprien, Sonya, Marcu, Airborne Elite, and Deathreavers x2
Old April 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Your son did better than you! I hope for your sake he doesn't develop a superiority complex and think he can beat you. :P
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:58 AM

pti8 is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Tiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by pti88888888
He played Cyprien, Sonya, Marcu, Airborne Elite, and Deathreavers x2
Sweet that sounds like a fun army. I think I would Marcu and AE in favor of KMA and Eldgrim though.

Cyprien+Sonya is my favorite combo in the game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports