Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old August 26th, 2014, 10:40 PM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart
NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2014

All is negotiable!
First you must quickly let me know if Saturday, 10/18, is not possible.
Alright, I've copied and pasted last year's info below - changing the date.
Let me know what you guys think about format - the good and the bad.
And please give us an idea of whether you plan on attending, can't make it or just don't know
Thanks!

NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2014
Hello all diehard 'scapers,
Saturday, 10-18-2014, again at my apartment's rec. room at
14960 Sherman Way, Olive Tree Apartments, Van Nuys, 91405.
Hours are 8AM - 11PM. I was told that if necessary we may enter before 8AM.
I have enough tables/chairs for 14 games, so if more than 28 contestants sign-up we'll need more equipment.
Anyone wanting to stay for more gaming after the tournament is more than welcome!
There is a small kitchen for food prep. and storage.
There is a boys' restroom and a girls' restroom.
If you want alcohol, I suggest you wait until after the tournament and bring your own supply.
There is a good deal of parking (do not use the church parking @ Kester intersection) but try and carpool because there is a lot of competition for those spots.

Location: warriorneedsfoodbadly's clubhouse in Van Nuys (map)
Date: Saturday, 10/18
Time: 11:00 AM check-in, 12:00 PM begin play, tournament until 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM (no breaks for food, so bring lunch/snacks!), free play afterwards, rumors of beer and pizza later in the evening

Rules:
Format: swiss/simple, either 5 matches or 6 if more than 32 people, timed matches (see below), partial scoring, dual army play (see below)
Cost: $7 per contestant for prizes and rental of space (rent has doubled)
Armies: 520pts, 24 spaces
May switch to a backup army once, if you have at least one loss, on your third or fourth match.
VC: allowed.
Marvel: not allowed
Glyphs: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=37362
Power Glyphs/Treasure Glyphs:
Random Treasure Glyph pool:

Heroic Rune (+1 attack)
Brooch of Shielding (disengage)
Scarab of invunerability(temp)
Potion of Healing (temp)

Treasure Glyph Traps:

• If you roll a 1–5, you set off the trap. Leave the Treasure Glyph symbol-side
up, roll a battle die - a skull results in unblockable wound on attempting Hero.
• If you roll a 6 or higher, you did not set off the trap, and the figure that
landed on the Treasure Glyph now picks up the Treasure Glyph.

Random Power Glyph pool:

Glyph of Wannok (Wound)
Glyph of Valda (Move +2)
Glyph of Dagmar (Initiative +8 )
Glyph of Kelda (Healer)
Glyph of Gerda (Defense +1)

Must Bring: Your army; army cards; dice; order markers; wound markers; special markers if appropriate.
Can Bring: Snacks/drinks; a contribution to the prize table.

Thanks,
wnfb

New Restricted List
The restricted list is composed of two parts: primary units and filler units. Your army can contain no more than one restricted primary unit, and no more than one restricted filler unit. If a restricted primary unit is common or uncommon, your army may contain multiples of that unit, up to a maximum of 300 points. If a restricted filler unit is common or uncommon, and you want to take multiples of that unit, you must treat it as a restricted primary unit instead.

Restricted Primary Units:
  • Deathreavers (A+)
  • Major Q9 (A+)
  • Raelin - RotV (A+)
  • 10th Regiment of Foot (A)
  • 4th Massachusetts Line (A)
  • Blastatrons (A)
  • Fen Hydra (A)
  • Grimnak (A)
  • Heavy Gruts (A)
  • Knights of Weston (A)
  • Krav Maga Agents (A)
  • Marro Stingers (A)
  • Nilfhiem (A)
  • Sir Gilbert (A)
  • Vulcanmech Incendiborgs (A)
  • Airborne Elite (A-)
  • Braxas (A-)
  • Cathar Spearmen (A-)
  • Cyprien Esenwein (A-)
  • Fire Elemental (A-)
  • Greenscale Warriors (A-)
  • Kaemon Awa (A-)
  • Krug (A-)
  • Major Q10 (A-)
  • Quahon (A-)
  • Roman Legionnaires (A-)
  • Zelrig (A-)

Restricted Filler List:
  • Isamu (A)
  • Marcu Esenwein (A)
  • Marro Warriors (A)
  • Black Wyrmling (A-)
  • Eldgrim (A-)
  • Me-Burq-Sa (A-)

Will Attend
1. warriorneedsfoodbadly
2. Xotli
3. |--+ Quillon
4. |--+--+ Beyond Thunderdome
5. |--+--+ The White Witch
6. |--+--+ The Poet of Swansea
7. |--+ The Smaller Animal and Associate (1 team)
8. michaeltaylor
9. Leotheanimal87
10. WreakLoosE
11. Counterstrike

Not Yet Sure
1. Detrimentalman

Can't Make It
1. hivelord

Confirmed Maps and Makers
1. Quasatch Playground - Xotli
2. Sirocco - warriorneedsfoodbadly
3. Swamp Thing - warriorneedsfoodbadly
4. Draugur - Xotli
5. Bad Moon Rising - Leotheanimal87
6. Blackroot - Leotheanimal87
7. (extra) Burial Marsh - Xotli

AND THE WINNERS ARE!!!
1. Counterstrike
2. Leotheanimal87
3. Beyond Thunderdome
4. Xotli
5. warriorneedsfoodbadly
6. The Poet of Swansea
7. The White Witch
8. The Smaller Animal and Associate
9. Quillon
10. michaeltaylor

Last edited by Xotli; November 5th, 2014 at 05:07 AM. Reason: winners
Old August 27th, 2014, 01:57 AM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart
Re: NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2014

I will probably make it though I might come for free gaming afterwards.

I am missing various figures, probably borrowed and never returned. My initials SMT are on the underside of the base on all of my figures, thanks in advance for returning them upon discovery...
Old August 28th, 2014, 12:11 PM

michaeltaylor is surprisingly tart

I'll be there! And thanks!
Old August 28th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart

Count me in! Going for the gold again lol I'm thinking of maybe using a Marro army in honor of king of the Marro

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!
Old September 9th, 2014, 10:36 AM

WreakLoosE has disabled reputation

OK... im gonna be going.. Lets get it ON...

Don't worry, This will only hurt a little. But for you.. I will try to make it hurt worse.
Old September 13th, 2014, 02:17 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Hey, sorry I'm late to the party! I just wanted to make sure we were a definite before posting.

I can confirm a minimum of two entrants for the tourney. I'll work on pumping up those numbers--I'm pretty sure we can scrape up a few more folks. Speaking of pumping up: I don't see a response from hivelord here ... have we heard from him? I think I have a phone number for him somewhere; I can text him if we need to.

My only suggestion for the format is to add a couple of units to the Restricted List: Quahon and the Cathar Spearmen, from everything I've heard from the Online League folks, should be considered A units.

This is looking good! Looking forward to seeing everybody again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:26 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hey. I'll be a maybe until I know my October travel schedule for work. Would love to see you guys though.

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old September 25th, 2014, 05:58 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivelord View Post
Hey. I'll be a maybe until I know my October travel schedule for work. Would love to see you guys though.
I really hope you can make it, hivelord!

I will also drop an email to Alastair MacDirk to see if I can tempt him as well.

We haven't talked about maps ... let's talk about that now. I've already built Quasatch Playground for a test map, and I'm planning to build one more as well. So I'll just break those two down the night before and bring both of them.

Here's my thoughts on the remaining BoV maps:

Spoiler Alert!

So, for maps, my suggested list would be (in order of my preference):
  1. Quasatch Playground [Xotli]
  2. Sirocco
  3. Swamp Thing
  4. Burial Marsh [probably Xotli]
  5. Draugur
  6. Bad Moon Rising

And then, if we need more:
  1. Blackroot
  2. Sidewinder
  3. Ticalla Sunrise
  4. If you can't take the heat...

Okay, now let's talk about our restricted list. So far, we've just stolen Dallas' list and gone with whatever was on there, except that we added the Incendiborgs, since we're allowing VC units. Their restricted list is based on spider_poison's power rankings (later maintained by Jexik). It includes all the A+ units, most of the A units, and a few of the A- units.

Of course, now that we're including VC units, we need to start looking at dok's power rankings, which include all VC units, and are updated far more regularly than the original rankings. (Those haven't been updated since March of 2012, but of course it's only fair to point out that there have been no new official units released since then, so there isn't much need to update it any more.)

I say we own our restricted list. Let's fashion it so that it works for us.

So here's a list of what's on our current list, and where those units fall in the power rankings:
Spoiler Alert!

Before we take a look at what might be on this list that perhaps oughtn't be, let's take a look at all the A units that aren't on our list:
Spoiler Alert!

So obviously we can eliminate all the Marvel units as irrelevant as long as we keep disallowing Marvel (not that I think we should kep doing that, but it is what it is). And another group of them are units that aren't much use on their own: they may be A units, but there's not much point in restricting them, especially if one of the units they work best with are also on the restricted list. For instance, it would kinda suck to have both the Blastatrons and the Gladiatrons on the restricted list. To the Glads let's add Kurrok and Marcus for sure, and cases can be made for Atlaga and Laglor.

Another group is useful filler units: the black wyrmling, Eldgrim, the clones, and Pony Boy. Now, you could argue that 50 pts is too much for a filler unit. But, I say, I often find myself in the position of having 50 pts left over and a strong need for some range. In that position, the Marro Warriors and Me-Burq-Sa are perfect. And it sucks to have filler units on the restricted list.

What this leaves us with is a set of units who really ought to be on the restricted list, and then some units which maybe should or maybe shouldn't. In figuring out what goes where, I say we have to be driven by how often we see these units used in armies on tourney days. If we're sick of seeing a unit, we should probably put it on the restricted list. If it's something we don't see all that often--even though it's rated as an A/A- unit--then let's leave it off.

The units in this list that I would definitely add to the restricted list are: the Fen Hydra, Cyprien, the Legos, and the fire elementals. I would also add (as I mentioned earlier) Quahon and the Cathars. Those are the two new-ish VC units that I hear the most concern over about being too powerful.

The ones I would definitely not add to the restricted list are: the Death Chasers, Eltahale, Mogrimm, Nerak, Sam Brown, and, on the VC side, the Microcorp Troopers and Ulfrid. (Well, maybe Ulfrid, who I think has the potential to be annoying, but it might be better to wait until he actually becomes annoying, because maybe he never will.)

Thus leaving us with these few that I'm iffy on and could go either way: Alistair, the Axegrinders, Krug, the PKs, and the SotM Drake.

Next, it would be instructive to look and see if there's anyone currently on the restricted list that we should take off. And, honestly, the only ones that I think we should are Isamu and Marcu. For exactly the reason I stated above: it really sucks having filler units on the restricted list. I don't want to get stuck with Otonashi when I have no one tricky on my team just because I'm using the Stingers and was unlucky enough to have 10 pts left over. And at 20 pts I'm stuck with Kyntela Gwyn?? I'm pretty sure that fulfills the Supreme Court definition of cruel and unusual punishment.

Look, neither Isamu nor Marcu is going to overpower an army--not even one that already contains Q9 or Raelin. Now, maybe Isamu and Marcu would be too much ... especially if you threw in Eldgrim and the clones for good measure. Maybe there should be a separate restricted list for filler units, just to keep people from going crazy with it.

Finally, the final thing I'm going to suggest is that there be some limit on the quantity of restricted units. It's certainly true that you need to be able to take multiples of a very good common unit. But no one wants to see an army with 6 squads of minutemen, or 10 fire elementals. Couldn't we set a limit of, say, 300 pts worth of any restricted unit? That's enough for 4 squads of 4th Mass or 8 FEs. That seems like plenty for anyone.

So here's my proposal for a new restricted list:
Spoiler Alert!

Of course, I welcome debate.

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 26th, 2014, 03:04 AM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart

Interesting idea there Xotli. I'm up for the updated restricted list. I was gonna suggest a new format up but this could work. The reason I'm for it is because every year we have the same "Why isn't the Fen Hydra on the restricted list?" discussion hahaha and I will admit, the hydra has always been part of my army, even if I don't move him at all But he really does make a difference when it matters. Quick questions, since we are doing the 300 point limit on common units, would this apply to the hydra as well since he is an uncommon unit? Technically you can have more than one Fen Hydra in an army but they most be treated like unique figures. Also don't worry guys my army will not feature the Fen Hydra this year Also I may bring another person this year, but he is not a for sure yet. Will know closer to the date. As far as me bringing a map this year, I will try, but it's just a pain to try and take out my heroscape stuff from the garage, that and I'm also lazy hahahaha But I'll see if I can.

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
I will also drop an email to Alastair MacDirk to see if I can tempt him as well.
Done.

Quote:
So, for maps, my suggested list would be (in order of my preference):
  1. Quasatch Playground [Xotli]
  2. Sirocco
  3. Swamp Thing
  4. Burial Marsh [Xotli]
  5. Draugur
  6. Bad Moon Rising

And then, if we need more:
  1. Blackroot
  2. Sidewinder
  3. Ticalla Sunrise
  4. If you can't take the heat...
I built Burial Marsh, so I updated the list accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotheanimal87 View Post
I'm up for the updated restricted list.
Good! That's one.

Quote:
I was gonna suggest a new format up ...
Well, as I'm sure you could guess, I'm always up for a new format. But I figured this would generate the least amount of heated debate.

Quote:
Quick questions, since we are doing the 300 point limit on common units, ...
Well, we only are if everyone else agrees.

Quote:
... would this apply to the hydra as well since he is an uncommon unit?
That was my intention, yes. So you could only have 2 hydras in your army. Of course, the 300 points is negotiable ... we could bump it up to 360 pts, which would allow 3 hydras, 5 4th Mass, or 10 FEs. But I personally think 2 hydras is plenty.

Quote:
As far as me bringing a map this year, I will try, but it's just a pain to try and take out my heroscape stuff from the garage, that and I'm also lazy hahahaha But I'll see if I can.
If you can, that'll be cool. But I'm guessing we'll have enough without it ... @warriorneedsfoodbadly , how many maps can you build?

Anyone else we should be trying to contact? any other things that need nailing down?

(Quillon[1] will definitely be bringing extra folks, but I don't yet know how many. Also, the Smaller Animal[2] may play on his own, but that also is not yet determined.)

[1] That is, the offspring formerly known as SSX.
[2] A.k.a. offspring #2.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; September 27th, 2014 at 04:10 AM. Reason: fix mention
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:18 PM

Greetings fellow 'scapers,
I think I'll bow out of the game decisions. Xotli and Leotheanimal87 seem to have far more knowledge and interest in the creation of our tournament play than I can muster.
I was contacted by OrcElfArmyOne and he suggested his own list called Balance Drafting,
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=49429
which was followed by the suggestion of Delta+, http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=46703
I'll follow the lead of Xotli and Leotheanimal87. Thank you for your hard work on this!
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:22 PM

I should be able to make 2 maps unless they are competing for a lot of the same scarce pieces.
I only PMed the people from last year's tournament and recent posters to SoCal thread. Feel free to contact others to get our numbers up : )

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day