Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old September 10th, 2008, 11:06 PM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker
Re: Madison, WI NHSD Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I'm living in the Sparta area so it would be about a 2 hour drive but I might come. Still pretty far out to put my name on the list but as the date gets closer I'll have a better idea of if I can make it or not. If I can make it, what size army should I be thinking about bringing? I assume you can only use one army for the entire tournament, correct? Anything else I should know in advance?

*edit* Just saw the 500 point part so I'll start thinking of a possible 500 point army.
Yeah, one army. No substitutes, unless someone objects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlax View Post
Some other points to consider.

Marvel or no Marvel?

Will the maps be published beforehand? (Using a selection of the Gen Con maps would simplify this.)
I've nothing against the Marvel figures, but I was thinking of restricting it to classic only.

For maps, I was thinking actually of just one map layout. Randomly drawn maps doesn't seem to add too much other than uncertainty with army selection. It would be a good idea for future tournaments, but I'd like to keep the first Madison one simple and we can go from there.

I've got a map in mind, and it will be published beforehand. I will be playing if we end up with an odd number so it wouldn't be fair to chose the map and not let others see it beforehand.

It's still more than a month away, so if anyone has suggestions on anything, this is the place to make them.
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

May I suggest Wolf Swamp Road, or Soulrazor Canyon? They seem to be the best of the officials.

Otherwise turn to the BoV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
May I suggest Wolf Swamp Road, or Soulrazor Canyon? They seem to be the best of the officials.

Otherwise turn to the BoV.
I'm going to do something original. It will be similar to Wolf Swamp Road but will use swamp and jungle pieces along with a few castle pieces.

My question to everyone is should we use glyphs?

I was thinking a few non-random in the center--something to draw units forward out of cover and high ground and speed up gameplay.

Thoughts?
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:37 AM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

I have no objections to glyphs, random or otherwise. The format we used at Gen Con was to place glyphs face down, place armies, then reveal glyphs.

If you want to keep play fast, use small maps.

When you say only one map, does that meen you will be making multiples of that map? If we have 8 players we will need 4 maps for a swiss style tournament (I'm assuming we will be using swiss). We have enough tiles that we were able build 5 of the Gen Con maps for practice, so I could pitch in on maps.

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I have no objections to glyphs, random or otherwise. The format we used at Gen Con was to place glyphs face down, place armies, then reveal glyphs.

If you want to keep play fast, use small maps.

When you say only one map, does that meen you will be making multiples of that map? If we have 8 players we will need 4 maps for a swiss style tournament (I'm assuming we will be using swiss). We have enough tiles that we were able build 5 of the Gen Con maps for practice, so I could pitch in on maps.
Yes, multiples of the same map. That method for glyphs sounds good. About how many were used at Gencon per map? Were they drawn randomly from a larger pool?

Help with maps would be appreciated. Setup will begin at 12:00, so it would be good for anyone bringing a map to arrive around then.

I was also wondering about how scoring was done at Gencon since we haven't had any news of DCI. Magic uses 3 points for wins, 1 for draws. I was thinking however of doing standard Heroscape scoring.
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:54 PM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

Glyphs were drawn randomly from a pool for most events. Each map had a little baggie of glyphs for that map. Not sure which were in the pool. Some events had non random glyphs. Damnation Alley for sure was non random.

Most maps had two glyphs.

Scoring was based on won loss record and some "strength of schedule" calculation that was used a tie breaker. That part was done by computer, so I really have no idea how it was calculated.

Old September 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

VixenTor Games will definitely get something for this prize table. Get enough people, and we may manage a special NHSD dice tower.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM

The map is ready!

It's...a bit different. It also takes two jungle sets. I will be able to handle three of the maps myself. I'll be counting on some of you though to pitch in.

The other big thing I've done is bump the point total to 600. The games we've been playing with 600 have been a big step up in my estimation, even from 500. 600 opens a lot of new possibilities with using figures that might otherwise be sidelined.
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:59 PM

Well, I'm not going to be able to be so helpful after all. I only have one jungle set, so I can't even build one of them.

Old September 21st, 2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm not going to be able to be so helpful after all. I only have one jungle set, so I can't even build one of them.
Dont' worry, I've got MrBarkypants and Sirpongo to press into service.

My only concern is if a bunch of undecideds sign up late. If it comes down to it, we can do without some of the jungle.
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM

The limiting factor appears to be the sight blockers. I can do the rest of the map well enough.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Has A Ticket To Ride

EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

We are in!!

...and by we, I mean myself and at least one brother-in-law (call him PyroJaymez).

There is also the strong possibility of two more (one cousin and one more bro-in-law). I will know for sure by mid-week.

LORD_PYRE et all who complain about the drive...we are driving up from Chicago, if we can do it, so can you.

Looking forward to everything. It all looks great!

ET86

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwayman View Post
Classic-Scape is just the Frosting for the Marvel-Scape cake!

Last edited by EternalThanos86; September 26th, 2008 at 05:28 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day