Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old September 15th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Sports: NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Enh. Some of the calls were good, some questionable and some ticky-tacky. None of them made the Niners lose. I was more bemoaning the disjointed nature of any game with so many penalties. It felt like any time a rhythm started developing to the game another flag went flying. I also hated the challenge that overturned that catch made by the Bears along the sideline. The way stuff gets parsed in replay hurts the game as far as I'm concerned.

Thirty years ago there would be a bad call, we'd gripe about it and then we'd keep going. And it felt like there were fewer calls back then too***. Might be a bit of nostalgia there though. Now, we have just as much frustration about bad calls as before - moreso perhaps, we've simply made it possible to parse potential game rulings ever more finely.

~Aldin, wondering if we're gonna see Mettenberger start in Nashville before the end of the season

***Found an article which pretty much debunks this - must just be that now penalties cause the game to pause in a way it didn't before

Yeah, it was a pretty disjointed first half especially and made it seem like the game was dragging on and on and on etc.

Whatever happened to "clipping"? I remember back in the day that was one of the biggies. Now I don't see it, but there are a host of new penalties to take its place. They seem to tweak it from year to year in response to too much offense or too much defense or too many injuries of a certain type the year before.

We also have so much social media now as compared to 30 years ago that now everything gets scrutinized a ton more. And with fantasy football a bazillion dollar industry that helped make the NFL even more popular than ever before, a lot more people have a stake in each and every game being played than in yesteryear when you only cared about "your" team and "your" players.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 15th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
If I had to bet on one team to go 4-0, I might actually pick the Texans, who need to win at the Giants and home against Buffalo. Carolina also has a decent shot, needing to beat the Steelers at home and then the Ravens on the road.

I just think it's interesting that there's a decent chance we'll have none. Not sure when that's happened before, but I imagine it's been a while.
Might just be biased after watching them smack down the Lions this week, but I actually like Carolina's chances of starting 4-0 a lot with those match ups.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old September 15th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Looks like Adrian Peterson may have beaten a different 4 year old son in such a manner that he left a scar over the kid's eye.

I have no doubt it's how he was raised, but being raised by people who break the law, in any way, is no excuse for being a lawbreaker yourself. Very sad.

Between that and the Greg Hardy situation - a judge found him guilty of beating a woman, dragging her around by her hair, threatening to kill her, and throwing her on a couch with a bunch of firearms he said were loaded - in which the league has declined to take action because of his exercise of a right to a subsequent jury trial, this has been a really awful week since the Ray Rice suspension.

I know they're out there playing football now, and most of them are real decent guys. I've met a couple, and my personal encounters with football players have been uniformly very positive. But this is a really, really bad time for the NFL, and without a consistent, fair discipline system, the league must bear some of the responsibility.

Breaking news today: Apparently neither Hardy nor Peterson will be suspended by the Panthers or Vikings, respectively. Expect both to play Week 3.

I could throw up. I really could. If Joe Flacco hadn't been so damned nice to KidScaper and to me when we saw him at a pizza place, I might really be in despair right now.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 15th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Some players are great, but some of them are POS's.

As terrible as this week has been for the NFL, if nothing else, it has caused a lot of discussion about domestic violence and child abuse. So hopefully the extra attention and awareness will do some good.

A lot of businesses have a model of code and conduct for their employees that doesn't require criminal acts for employees to get fired. Sports shouldn't be any different, just because some people have great athletic ability.

Old September 15th, 2014, 11:33 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

While I disagree with sitting the players at all, I do agree that if the team does decide to sit the player, they should go ahead and suspend him. There's no point in sitting him one week then playing him except to make it look better for the media.

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...
Old September 16th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hahma, the Hardy situation is just foul. That's a guy pretty far gone on the path of darkness. Getting cut makes sense to me in his case.

With Peterson, as with Rice, there seems to me to be room for a sensible middle ground. The problem is the badly mixed signals from the league.

The Panthers should have been buying back Hardy jerseys already. That guy is bad news.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:46 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It's sad to see so many athletes, that I enjoy watching play their sport, have these sorts of problems. Recently in the NFL, we have had athletes being accused (and sometime convicted) of spousal abuse, child abuse, murder, drug violations... But as I think about it, I wonder if this is really different from the past. I can remember Lawrence Taylor and Dexter Manley having drug problems many years ago. There have been a number of NFL players who committed crimes. I would expect that football players would be among the more aggressive members of society.

Before I go on, let me say that I'm not defending spousal abuse, child abuse, murder, drug use or any other crime. But I wonder if it is fair to take away these athlete's livelihood before they are convicted of a crime. If I were convicted of a felony, I would very likely be fired. But I wouldn't be fired for being accused of committing a felony. Should football players get their "day in court" before being penalized by the NFL?
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I see it more as they are taking away their own livelihood. I consider playing in the NFL much like driving, in that it is a privilege and not a right. If you are arrested for DUI in Michigan, you lose your right to drive instantly before you ever get your day in court.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:58 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

It's worth noting and remembering that the incidence of accusations of domestic violence, drunk driving, drug use, et al, for NFL players is not really any higher than it is for other men their age. They are just more famous so we hear about it.

If I were accused but not yet convicted of a felony, I would not be surprised if I were put on leave or fired. Some states do have protections on employment, but I work in an "at-will" state, and no cause is required for me to be let go. If I were considered a disruptive presence at work that would be enough.

Last edited by dok; September 16th, 2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Actually I can't be "fired" without cause, but I can be "laid off". Only difference is things like unemployment benefits.
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:02 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Hahma, the Hardy situation is just foul. That's a guy pretty far gone on the path of darkness. Getting cut makes sense to me in his case.

With Peterson, as with Rice, there seems to me to be room for a sensible middle ground. The problem is the badly mixed signals from the league.

The Panthers should have been buying back Hardy jerseys already. That guy is bad news.

Judge, jury, & executioner. I've heard in other circles that the girl accusing Hardy is just a vengeful, disgruntled ex that made things up to get back at him. If so it wouldn't be the first time....Tawana Bradley, Crystal Mangun.... I don't really know one way or the other but why not let the legal system play out and give him his day in court?
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Prickly Cactus

I work at a hospital. If I say something inappropriate to a patient, or even if accused of saying something inappropriate, with my word vs. theirs, I can be fired pronto.

If an employee at a hospital discloses patient information to someone not appropriate, or makes some comments regarding the hospital or such on facebook or other media, they can be fired.

Lots of people can have their livelihood taken away from them without having to have even been accused of a crime. It can just be a matter of doing something against the employer's policy that is enough to fire them on the spot. So why are athletes any different? Heck, even Donald Sterling was forced to sell his team but wasn't convicted of a felony.

Old September 16th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Roethlisberger was suspended and was never arrested I believe.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV