Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old April 12th, 2010, 06:37 PM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Project Pokemon Design Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilsara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 View Post
If you look at the mock-up I have of Pikachu...
Spoiler Alert!

...you'll see that I have thought of that, and in Pokemon style, already. Agility is not an attack, adds to the flavour of the card and thematic all in one.
As for a second power, read this post for my suggestions.
I'm talking about powers that aren't based upon any move, not having "Powers" that aren't "Special Attacks." Drudging up my example from ten minutes ago where I mention a Kecleon with Vanish- "Vanish" is not a move that exists in the Pokemon universe, but adding it to the Kecleon card makes it more thematic while adding variety. Agility may not be a Special Attack on the card, but it's still a Pokemon move.

It seems that the general mindset around here is making Heroscape cards with Pokemon powers as the special abilities- I approve of that, but mixing in a bit of flavor through non-"move" powers will help the theme and compatability with Heroscape.

I'll apologize in advance if I start to clutter the thread with posts about this.
You're fine. Keep commenting.
Now, I agree with you, just in a different way. I think, so long as the first draft of the card has powers thematic to the Pokemon on the card, it really shouldn't matter if the powers are based on Pokemon powers or not. The only requirement here is to keep the Pokemon theme in a Heroscape setting.
Quote:
EDIT: To add to your comments about Hydro Pump's lack of secondary effect, remember that it would probably be a ranged attack. I think that, when determining what's a Special Attack and what the attack "hidden in the stats" is, remembering the Heroscape influence on the attacks' effects would be an asset.
And I have thought of this. But ranged or not, with out a REASON to have text on it, Hydro Pump is just a normal ranged attack. Just because it's ranged does not make it a Special Attack.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Vilsara is surprisingly tart

Quote:
You're fine. Keep commenting.
Now, I agree with you, just in a different way. I think, so long as the first draft of the card has powers thematic to the Pokemon on the card, it really shouldn't matter if the powers are based on Pokemon powers or not. The only requirement here is to keep the Pokemon theme in a Heroscape setting.
Well, it looks like I won't have to keep commenting, since you agree And thankfully, I guess that was the general idea I was trying to get across, just worded in an odd way.

Quote:
Quote:
EDIT: To add to your comments about Hydro Pump's lack of secondary effect, remember that it would probably be a ranged attack. I think that, when determining what's a Special Attack and what the attack "hidden in the stats" is, remembering the Heroscape influence on the attacks' effects would be an asset.
And I have thought of this. But ranged or not, with out a REASON to have text on it, Hydro Pump is just a normal ranged attack.
A possible reason to have a Special Attack for Hydro Pump is it would not be the "basic" attack that most Pokemon would learn- even Blastoise, famous for using the move, would probably have a physical punching/ramming attack for his basic attack. Also, since the basic attack probably won't have an element affiliation (correct me if I'm wrong), a Blastoise with a Range 7 Attack 3 stat would not strike super-effectively against Fire Types. I see where you're coming from, though.

Maybe a guideline we could use would be that the basic attack on all Pokemon has to be a range 1 attack? Although I'm already disagreeing with this suggestion for a number of reasons.

Funny, I haven't actually posted in the main forum for a while. Shame; I really need to get back into 'Scape.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I will. Maybe for trainers we could choose a pre-existing non pokemon unique hero to be the trainer and mark it with a marker. That trainer gets the benefit of being able to take a turn with X amount of pokemon within X amount of spaces. Thoughts?
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I will. Maybe for trainers we could choose a pre-existing non pokemon unique hero to be the trainer and mark it with a marker. That trainer gets the benefit of being able to take a turn with X amount of pokemon within X amount of spaces. Thoughts?
Not sure if I'm reading this right, but you mean like having Kaemon Awa be a trainer? That's actually a cool idea. We'd have to work in some kind of extra cost to compensate for the extra powers, and maybe limit it to humanoids (maybe, but seeing a Dragon be a trainer could be cool too). If worked out right, I think that could become my favorite idea on trainers so far.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
Not sure if I'm reading this right, but you mean like having Kaemon Awa be a trainer? That's actually a cool idea. We'd have to work in some kind of extra cost to compensate for the extra powers, and maybe limit it to humanoids (maybe, but seeing a Dragon be a trainer could be cool too). If worked out right, I think that could become my favorite idea on trainers so far.
Yes, that is what I mean. i could def see the Venoc Warlord sending out 3 Arboks to kill everyone.
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!

Ok guys, time to vote. The matter at hand is the contents of the first Master Set for Pokescape. The list is:
Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Squirtle, Wartortle, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Onix, Mankey, Primeape, Pikachu, Abra, Kadabra, Koffing, Weezing, Diglett, Digtrio, Gastly, Scyther
The voting is simple. One vote per person and please vote in red. Voting continues until we have a majority of 50% or more in flavor of the matter at hand or 24 hours has elapsed. If, in 24 hours time, a majority of 50% is not acheived, the matter goes back into discussion for 24 hours and then is voted on again.
My vote is Yes.
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM

fiddlerjones is surprisingly tart

I still don't like trainers as figures, but that's not the point of this post.

Type Interactions: The Pokedex idea is good in theory, but it's taking up space for abilities, a commodity that needs to be preserved at all costs. Someone earlier on suggested putting strength/weakness in the stat block, and I'm in favor of that idea.

Special Attacks: I see us teetering on the edge of a pitfall here. We're too concerned with making all the attacks behave like they do in the video games. In Heroscape, we have several dimensions not available in the games - namely terrain and movement. We can take advantage of this with special attacks. Here's an example (from a hypothetical Squirtle):

Water Gun
Special Attack
Water. Range 6. Attack 2.
If Squirtle is standing on a water space,
roll 2 additional attack dice for this attack.

Rock Slide could do more damage if the target is near some tiles of higher elevation. Seismic Toss could move the target several spaces away.

Status Effects: We should be very careful which ones we choose to use and which ones we cut. Poison/burn can be accomplished with the same general mechanism, just with different type keywords. Paralyze can be accomplished by removing order markers. You see where I'm going with this. Less is more.

FiddlerJones Customs
"I ended up with forty acres;
I ended up with a broken fiddle --
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories
And not a single regret."
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Vilsara is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Ok guys, time to vote. The matter at hand is the contents of the first Master Set for Pokescape. The list is:
Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Charmander, Charmeleon, Squirtle, Wartortle, Pidgey, Pidgeotto, Onix, Mankey, Primeape, Pikachu, Abra, Kadabra, Koffing, Weezing, Diglett, Digtrio, Gastly, Scyther
The voting is simple. One vote per person and please vote in red. Voting continues until we have a majority of 50% or more in flavor of the matter at hand or 24 hours has elapsed. If, in 24 hours time, a majority of 50% is not acheived, the matter goes back into discussion for 24 hours and then is voted on again.
My vote is Yes.
I vote to add Haunter, Machop, and Machoke to the list for type variety and the theme of middle evolutions. Machoke may be too powerful for the first set, but Haunter wouldn't be.

Otherwise, regardless of whether my suggestions are in effect, I vote yes.

Funny, I haven't actually posted in the main forum for a while. Shame; I really need to get back into 'Scape.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:03 PM

YES
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:06 PM

Carakki knows what's in an order marker Carakki knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlerjones View Post
In Heroscape, you take on the roll of a commander or general of some type. In Pokescape, you take on the roll of a Trainer. As such, I think Trainer cards make more sense than figures.
Well, is there a GENERAL consensus that Trainers would be unique to PokeScape and not usable with regular Heroscape/PokeScape mixed? Because if so, think about it. When have you EVER seen the Trainer get attacked? Sure, wild pokemon, maybe. But in like an arena battle or tournament and such, the trainer never, ever gets attacked.

So, if the trainer can't ever really be attacked, why bother making a figure for it? A trainer card would work just fine.
The problem is that Pokescape isn't (to my knowledge) set as an arena battle or a tournament.

This seems to be an issue. To sum up my questions, are we bringing Pokemon to Heroscape (Trainers and their Pokemon to fight in Valhalla, D&D-style) or Heroscape to Pokemon (Heroscape game engine applied to Pokemon, Marvel-Style)?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Ha! I knew I was forgetting something. So, for special conditions: I prefer setting markers on the cards to mark burn, poison, paralyze, etc. Turning cards will get too confusing, at least for me, because I tend to end up bumping cards and turning them and not fixing them. But that brings up a question: will only Unique Heroes be affected by conditions? Affecting commons and squads would be weird, as a lot of them would die from one poison wound. It's like the plague on steroids.
And insofar as turning cards as opposed to markers, if an 8-year-old can remember to turn a card in Pokemon CCG, so can a grown man.
Actually, I'm for status markers as opposed to turning the cards. Card-turning is a uniquely Pokemon CCG mechanic, and I don't see much reason to introduce it when a perfectly viable mechanism is already in place.

Quote:
My vote is Yes.
Sorry, but my vote is no. I think we're on the right track, but I personally would like to see at least one third evolved form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlerjones View Post
Water Gun
Special Attack
Water. Range 6. Attack 2.
If Squirtle is standing on a water space,
roll 2 additional attack dice for this attack.

Rock Slide could do more damage if the target is near some tiles of higher elevation. Seismic Toss could move the target several spaces away.

Status Effects: We should be very careful which ones we choose to use and which ones we cut. Poison/burn can be accomplished with the same general mechanism, just with different type keywords. Paralyze can be accomplished by removing order markers. You see where I'm going with this. Less is more.
I like both of these.

That's my input for now.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proposed "Kanto Master Set" List of Pokemon
Yes.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:19 PM

fiddlerjones is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proposed "Kanto Master Set" List of Pokemon
Yes. That is all.

FiddlerJones Customs
"I ended up with forty acres;
I ended up with a broken fiddle --
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories
And not a single regret."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum