Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 28th, 2011, 02:05 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Killometer's maps ~ Stony Pass added 1/27/10

It looks problematic for the likes of Nilfheim with his wide wings (but that's definitely not a bad thing, in my book).

I really like the layout. It looks like it would feel like fighting through a dense forest where you can't see a long way in any direction.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Yeah, Nilf's not really a fan of this map-too many one-lane roads.

Reaverjams are always a problem. They were the main reaon that I didn't feel ready to share this map until I added the peripheral shadow tiles to open another route around the high points of the map.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:35 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Alright, time to use Stony Pass in our upcoming Legacy Tournament.

Sorry you can't make it, Killo. But here's hoping your map will channel your presence.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:09 PM

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I'm glad I can somehow be represented there, since I can't make it physically.

A slight on my part regarding Stony Pass-when I broke it down last week I realized that I used 4 too many shadow tiles; I think that some of Mika's must have fallen into the mix. When I get a chance to redesign it I'll update the build instructions and image, but for now it will just have to run a little heavy.

Thanks to everyone at Dad_Scaper's Not in Kansas tourney who's posted reports (or is going to post reports) on the maps of mine that made a showing (Rising Pressure and Horseshoe Hill).

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

It was a terrific event, Killometer, and I have comments about your maps in this post where I look at some of the maps that had, going in, special interest.

Check my battle report thread for a more detailed discussion of the abatoir that was Rising Pressure.

I don't know if the bottom needs more help or if it was the matchup. I think better dice might have helped but I don't think the dice would have made a huge difference. Certainly the bottom of Rising Pressure does not get nearly the love that the bottom of Halfway Up the Downs gets.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 2nd, 2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:59 AM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Man Killo, did your STONY PASS get polarized reactions at today's Legacy Tournament. People seem to have loved or hated this one, depending on the army they were playing. Guess that was to be expected, which is EXACTLY why I wanted to include it in the tourney. It's a radical map. As you so cunningly devised, trying to get LoS on this thing is fiendishly difficult; and the numerous choke-points make for some interesting decisions. Not a few bottle-necks, which I think is generally a bad thing, but a huge number of them, which I loved. But man alive, it's murder on swarm armies. Goblins, Zombies, and Spiders might as well give up from the first order marker.

If I have one reservation about it, it's that it's not particularly friendly to double-hex figures. But other than that, I think it's an inspired map.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:17 AM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I posted my thoughts on this in the tournament folder. This map hated my goblins (couldn't get 3 adjacent for the entire game), Krug (couldn't reach archers on height, but they could stand there and shoot at me).

Looking at this picture, I am wondering if the shadow hexes on the side were there at the tournament? I didn't notice them as I was trying to get by on the side road and was forced to stop or take a disengage swipe. I could have just missed them, things were going very badly for me at the time.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
Looking at this picture, I am wondering if the shadow hexes on the side were there at the tournament? I didn't notice them as I was trying to get by on the side road and was forced to stop or take a disengage swipe. I could have just missed them, things were going very badly for me at the time.
They were there, Serenity. I just went over and confirmed (haven't yet broken it down). But like you, in the heat of battle I must have missed them, because I have no recollection of ever taking them into account. Weird.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:41 AM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks, Typhon. I too must have blocked them out somehow.

Maybe those shadow hexes should be moved to the same height as the road next to them? You're already going to be slowing down a lot by not taking the road, I don't think there needs to be climbing involved to get back up to the road as well.
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys (even the mean stuff ).

Stony Pass was a very challenging map to design, due to my self-imposed restriction of limiting the main battlefield to road tiles. I used the LoS blockers to try to boost the size of the playing area, but their heavy concentration does have the unfortunate side-effect of creating choke points. I tried to address that by using them intentionally to create lots of choke points, to try and make sure their were alternate routes available if (when) part of the map got locked down. Like I said in the Legacy thread, the absense of glyphs was an intentional decision-the map started with them, but they clogged it even more, and, besides, everyone's already getting +3 move.

When I get an opportunity to revisit this map I'll try to address the issues people experienced with double-hex units, and I'll see if I can raise the shadow tiles to improve movement along the periphery of the map (plus I'll fix the number of shadow tiles used). Unfortunately I think that swarm armies will never fare well on this map, due to its very nature.

Old March 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM

I actually like the idea of lots of choke points. I just think it moves the map more into the realm of casual map vs. tournament map. Thanks for listening to my ideas.
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Unfortunately I think that swarm armies will never fare well on this map, due to its very nature.
As long as Serenity continues to bring swarm armies and I don't, I LOVE this map.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios