Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Utah NHSD 2012: map nominees mostly done

qt.bangerang for sure...possibly one more but wont know until it gets closer.
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:21 AM

ortimus has disabled reputation

My Opinion only:

I disagree with having only a 24 hex starting zone. Most of the cheaper commons are only strong when you can swarm with them. I think that I should have the option of fielding 36 vipers, should I choose.

Wise Man Say, "Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late Pizza!"
Old September 28th, 2012, 04:49 PM

twigleg2 knows what's in an order marker twigleg2 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortimus View Post
My Opinion only:

I disagree with having only a 24 hex starting zone. Most of the cheaper commons are only strong when you can swarm with them. I think that I should have the option of fielding 36 vipers, should I choose.
I agree. The problem is that most maps are made for armies of 24 or less.

My Trade List

MINIONS of UTGAR

Old September 28th, 2012, 04:58 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

I remember discussing larger start zones some year, maybe more than just one year. I'm pretty sure our NHSD has been using that 24 hexes since 2007, but the specifics were posted on Game Night Games' event calendars for 2007-08, HSers.com just has post-game threads.

I think the Battlefields of Valhalla group settled on 24-hex zones way back Fall 2006, before they had even started creating maps; early 2007 certainly. A main reason was to ease map construction: that's the size of the largest hex-tile. Feel free to look that discussion up.

I personally don't care if your army is larger than that (your opponents might); official rules say if your army exceeds the established start zone you can't field the excess figures. If your opponents don't mind, you bring extra hexes to extend your start zone as evenly as possible around the rear perimeter of the marked start zone, no extra pathing onto the rest of the map.

Last edited by UtahScott; September 28th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old September 28th, 2012, 07:31 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Utah NHSD 2012: Map voting open 9/29 - 10/5

Final map voting starts tomorrow. Check the second post.
Old September 28th, 2012, 10:36 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Utah: 2012 National HeroScape Day planning thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
<snip>

The Hotway or the Highway by HeroScaper2010 - (2x VW? That's a lot for one map...)

<snip>
Obviously no one bought Auggies Custom Lava...
Old September 29th, 2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:
<snip>

The Hotway or the Highway by HeroScaper2010 - (2x VW? That's a lot for one map...)
<snip>
There is a difference between making one map or fifteen maps.

Here's YoYoWilly's map submissions:

Ruins of the North ------------------------------------------- The Fighting Gets Hot

While you're voting this week, please give some feedback here for YoYoWilly on these, willya?

My issues are with the overly narrow pathways/pinchpoints on both maps. For the lava map, he hasn't specified startzones, 23/24 startzone spaces seem obvious, but I don't know if #24 is on the bridge or lava field.

(PS. Apparently I can render high-quality VS maps now, yay me!)

Last edited by UtahScott; October 1st, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:31 PM

lotr_fan2 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I am Greg's friend and I'll do my best to be there. I am very interested on what people have to sell, I am just starting my collection. I also set up a facebook group called "Heroscapers of Utah", you are welcome to join.
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:52 AM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:
<snip>

<snip>
There is a difference between making one map or fifteen maps.

Ruins of the North ------------------------------------------- The Fighting Gets Hot

While you're voting this week, please give some feedback here for YoYoWilly on these, willya?

My issues are with the overly narrow pathways/pinchpoints on both maps. For the lava map, he hasn't specified startzones, 23/24 startzone spaces seem obvious, but I don't know if #24 is on the bridge or what.

My concerns are the narrow pathways as well. Both maps really hurt melee units and the ruins map would be dominated by anything with ranged flying.
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qt.bangerang View Post
Quote:

My issues are with the overly narrow pathways/pinchpoints on both maps. For the lava map, he hasn't specified startzones, 23/24 startzone spaces seem obvious, but I don't know if #24 is on the bridge or [lava field].

My concerns are the narrow pathways as well. Both maps really hurt melee units and the ruins map would be dominated by anything with ranged flying.
I said this in an earlier email to Will, FWIW (he'll be revising both builds):
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by UtahScott; October 1st, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr_fan2 View Post
I am Greg's friend and I'll do my best to be there. I am very interested on what people have to sell, I am just starting my collection. I also set up a facebook group called "Heroscapers of Utah", you are welcome to join.
You're Ed, right, Greg's new neighbor? I've got some stuff in my basement I'll list up for you...I look forward to meeting you. What's your BGG handle?
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Re: Utah NHSD 2012: Maps are up

Thanks for everybody who voted on the maps this year (all half a dozen of you!), it helped narrow down some things.
Final map list is now in post #2.

Results: Three categories were pretty clear. The Road race was a three-way tie for second (everyone wants to play on Kingsbridge, looks like). As there are four other maps using multiple Master Sets, I thought it would be nice to ease that burden a bit by picking Mayberry for second place; with a double Marvel build, it can stand by itself.

The Lava race was the other three-way tie, but for first place. I could have broken the tie by rolling a d20, or voting myself, but Vorago was the only map that had an extra person voting for its inclusion, so it got the first nod. Stygian Rift got the other, because 1) it's not Ember Canyon Road and 2) four other maps were using Forgotten Forest, and half of those required two sets each; Stygian Rift doesn't use Forgotten Forest, so it eases the overall FF burden.

To recap, we now have a bit of everything: half of the maps are BoV, and two of those are newly inducted. All Master Sets are represented, and if the FF pine trees in the Road category are replaced with uncapped Fortress pillars, we'll have all terrain expansions represented as well.

BoV maps: 50%
RotV maps: 5
SotM maps: 2 (3 if we trade some swamp water for normal water on Kingsbridge to ease pathing issues)
BftU maps: 3
Marvel: 1
Special Mad-wookie bonus: 5/10 maps! Let the wookiee win...

VOLUNTEERS & BUILD REQUIREMENTS (16 maps for 32 players)
Maps in Bold need two copies built.
Build volunteers will pre-build or bring all materials/instructions the day of the event. I should have extra stuff down the road in case of emergency.

First Maps: (3 needed)
BoV: Swamp Thing - RotV, SotM, (FotA road/pillars) or FF (pillars preferred but trees are OK) [UtahScott (done) &twigleg2 ]
BoV: Mole Hills - RotV, (FotA pillars) or FF (again, pillars over trees) [qt.bangerang]

Road: (3 needed)
Kingsbridge Underpass
- 2xRotV, SotM?, 2xFF, FotA. [ortimus & UtahScott, done]
Mayberry - 2xMarvel (no second floors), 2xFF [UtahScott, done]

Lava: (4 needed)-dd--- (4)--------
Vorago - BftU, VW, FotA [The B.I.V. & Tiranx]
BoV: Stygian Rift - 2xBftU, VW [UtahScott & UtahScott, done ]

Jungle: (3 needed)
BoV: Quasatch Playground
- RotV, 2xTJ [ UtahScott x2 ]
BoV: Sirocco - 2xBftU, 1TJ [UtahScott, done]

Ice: (3 needed)
Spring Thaw
(heavy snow) - RotV, 1TT [ortimus & UtahScott, done]
Frossenmere - SotM, 1TT [ortimus]

Last edited by UtahScott; October 24th, 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added maps to be built

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day