Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:27 AM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Bay Area Brawl - NHSD'11

Gentlemen! Another Bay Area Brawl is upon us!

Where: Ronin Games and Hobbies in Castro Valley.
Date: Saturday, Oct. 15th, 2011
Time: 11:00am to 6:30pm or so.

If you are providing map support, please arrive promptly at 11am. All other players should be at Ronin Games no later than 11:30, and the first round should be underway by 12pm.

SHAME WAITS FOR THOSE WHO ARE TARDY!

The Format: The Double Edged Sword.

For this event players will need to bring dice, order and wound markers, and one 520 point army. And no, no Marvel. The tournament will be conducted in the usual swiss-style, with five rounds. Rounds will be 50 to 60 minutes each, with draws being determined by full point scoring. At the beginning of the second round, and each subsequent round, after players are paired off and assigned a map, I will roll a d20. On an even result, you will play the army you brought. On an odd result, you will play your opponent's army, and he will play yours.

There lies the double edged sword. Feel free to bring armies of rats or Q9 or 4th Mass, just know you may be facing them as often as you control them. So choose your sword wisely.

Please note that this event, the Nor-Cal Trophy will be on the line, and if we have enough attendees, there will be some prize support from Heroscapers.com

Attendees:

1.) Menchi
2.) Typhon2222 [Current Nor-Cal Champ]
3.) Carnival Man
4.) Carnival Boy
5.) cmgames
6.) Killometer
7.) Captnoodleloaf
8.) Onibaku06 (Sorry for your loss.)
9.) Aaron [Onibaku's friend]
10.) Zyx
11.) tshill12 (?)
12.) Jason (?)
13.) Personwholives
14.) Mariogolbee
15.) Killz
16.) Frankie
17.) Sanguinus
18.) Utgar's Servant (?)
19.) Vikinglad
20.) Dnutt +2
21.) RoninValentina

Glyph Pool: Unless fixed by the map available glyphs will be Dagmar, Valda, Wannok, Kelda, and Lodin. If the map uses Treasure Glyphs, the pool for those maps will be Scarab of Invulnerability, Belt of Giant Strength, Ring of Protection, and Elixir of Speed. Standard Treasure glyph trap will be 1 attack die on the offending figure, who does not roll defense.

NOTE: If providing maps, please bring the appropriate Glyph set if you can, but don't sweat it if you cannot- I do have multiple paper copy sets.

Maps:
Spoiler Alert!

So there it is! Time again to come out and throw skulls with the rest of the Nor-Cal 'Scaper crowd. Good games, good people; it's always a blast so don't miss out! Sign up today! And please comment if you have a location preference. It'd be good to have that nailed by early Sept. at the absolute latest.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -

Last edited by RoninValentina; October 14th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:23 AM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Bay Area Brawl - NHSD'11

You can put me down & Carnival Boy as attending...and of course our first choice would be Ronin Games in Castro Valley.

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:09 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm in! No venue preference.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

I'll donate a NIB Riflemen & Spearmen pack as Prize for Best Sport again.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:54 PM

zyx is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post

I think that was a great idea thanks for bringing that last time.

Last edited by zyx; August 23rd, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:57 PM

zyx is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I can probably make it either way
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I'm definitely there-I got NHSD off work today.

Lovin' the point total, too: all 4 of my army concepts work well there.

Edit: And I don't care where it is, but I know that Castro Valley is probably better for some of our East Bay/Central Valley/Clearlake players.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old August 23rd, 2011, 01:58 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

With this format, is there any incentive to bring any army over any other? I mean, if I bring the most random unsynergized hopeless army imaginable -- nothing but Roman Archers, Templars, and Groks, for example, and let's say, it's 200 points short to boot -- then I'll lose half the time with it (when I play my own army) and win half the time with it (when I play my opponent's).

As I understand it, this format will reward skill in playing a wide variety of different types of armies. But there's no reward for bringing a good army over a bad one, and thus no reason to plan one's army at all. Am I missing something?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:58 AM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This format will reward skill, certainly. You need to be able to take a reasonably competitive army, one that is decent but that isn't too dominant, and make it dominate with the way you play. When it comes time to face it yourself, its not a superb army- one who's weaknesses you should know. It's a matter of balancing your army's offensive power in your hands with the vulnerabilities it has when you face it. Your skill in playing your army, vs your skill in playing with an assortment of units against it. That's the trick, I think. Some luck is involved, in terms of matchups, shore. But the d20 roll of whether you play your army, or your opponent's army is just an extension of luck because each round there is the chance you get a bad matchup- heavy gruts versus rats, or 10th Reg vs Zombies. There's always that chance you're victory is more slim simply because of what your opponent brought to the table. The d20 for which army you play complicates that, but doesn't alter that balance much.

What the d20 does do is make people think twice about bringing well known armies to the table. Ronin likes Rats. Menchi likes Knights, CyborgJustin likes his 10th. Well, we know these players can win with these armies. Can they win as often facing them? Hmm. Might be risky. That's where this format comes in. It's subtle, and its effective at it's goal of reducing well known armies played. Does this help, Typhon?

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:36 AM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

I think this format will allow us to bring strong armies with more varied or even complex strategies that you hope your opponent won't be able to figure out in time.

And not to lobby too hard for Ronin Games but if we do hold NHSD there we will be the only official event scheduled for that day. We get to reserve as many tables as we need & whatever is left over will go to the open gamers.

Carney's Trade List
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Perfect, I have a NIB Heroes of Elswin I've been saving to donate...maybe for Best Player Who-Doesn't-Already-Have-Heroes-Of-Elswin prize...

Carney's Trade List
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:34 AM

cptnoodleloaf Woo who?

Hey guys i was at the last tournament. I did all right, but now that i'm more experienced, and have more than a day to work on my army, i will be prepared to take you all on at the upcoming tournament.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day