Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old August 21st, 2009, 08:28 PM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart
NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2009

Alright, my first thread.
I've reserved the rec. room (clubhouse) for Oct 17th.
Location is 14960 Sherman Way, Olive Tree Apartments, Van Nuys, 91405.
Hours are 8AM - 11PM. I was told that if necessary we may enter before 8AM.
I have enough tables/chairs for 14 games, so if more than 28 contestants sign-up we'll need more equipment.
Anyone wanting to stay for more gaming after the tournament is more than welcome!
There is a small kitchen for food prep. and storage.
There is a boys' restroom and a girls' restroom.
If you want alcohol, I suggest you wait until after the tournament and bring your own supply.
If RenMan allows the use of his equipment, I'll be able to make a few maps.
There is a good deal of parking (do not use the church parking @ Kester intersection) but try and carpool because there is a lot of competition for those spots. I'll place my car in such a way to hold down 2 spots for when needed and my space inside the complex will be available to those with a lot of loading/unloading to do.
I guess we are looking for prize donations from generous souls.
Thank you for your interest and I look forward to a successful event!

Confirmed Details:

Location: warriorneedsfoodbadly's community rec room in Van Nuys (map)
Date: Saturday, 10/17
Time: 10:00 AM check-in, 11:00 AM begin play, tournament until 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM (no breaks for food, so bring lunch/snacks!), free play afterwards, rumours of beer and pizza later in the evening

Sponsors: House Mouse Games, War Gamers HQ, Entertainment Earth

Attending: 27 (up to 34)
warriorneedsfoodbadly (wnfb)
Xotli
SSX
Hivelord's Pop
hextr1p
boom
King of the Marro
Oogie Da Bruce
SlikkRikk
Detrimentalman
RenMan
WukieSlap
Counterstrike
S1r Artor1us
robbdaman
BIGJIM
Xn F M
Xn F M's brother
GamerHusband
CharosInCharge
+1 from GamerHusband
udmf [via pm]
+1 from udmf [via pm]
Yaish
+1 from Yaish
AdamS [via SimiGameKnights]

Maybes:
+1 from Xn F M
Roland
+1 from Roland
another +1 from Roland
+1 from King of the Marro
another +1 from King of the Marro
Maginator

Maps:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=5725
Arctic Divide (Hivelord's pop) [normal snow/slippery ice]
Ticalla Sunrise (Hivelord's pop)
Can't See the Jungle (King of the Marro)
Swamp Thing (King of the Marro)
Road Rampage (boom)
Highways and Dieways (wnfb)
Arctic Divide (wnfb) [normal snow/slippery ice]
Hot Heights (wnfb)
Sidewinder (BIGJIM) [heavy snow/normal ice]
Mole Hills (WukieSlap)
Turret Rocks (WukieSlap)
Fire Isles (Detrimentalman)
Ice Blossom (Detrimentalman) [normal snow/slippery ice]
Flash Fire (Xotli)
Turret Rocks (Yaish)
Ticalla Sunrise (Yaish)
Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh (Yaish)
Broken Skyline (hextr1p)

Rules:
Format: swiss/simple, either 5 matches or 6 if more than 32 people, timed matches (see below), partial scoring, dual army play (see below)
Cost: $5 per contestant for prizes and rental of space
Armies: 520pts, second army is optional, 24 spaces
Marvel: not allowed
Glyphs: not allowed
Trophies: provided by boom
Prizes: gift certs from sponsors (see above), small booster (Xotli), Thaelenk Tundra (Hivelord), Jandar's Flag Bearer (wnfb), zombies booster (boom), repainted ??? (robbdaman), 10 dice bags (BIGJIM), Agent Skahen (hextr1p), small booster (S1R_ART0R1US), Space Hulk (X n FM)
Must Bring: Your army or armies (see Dual Army Play below); army cards; dice; order markers; wound markers; special markers if appropriate
Can Bring: Snacks/drinks; a contribution to the prize table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official tournament rules

Dual Army Play

Bring two 520 point armies: a primary army and a backup army. There can be as much overlap between the two armies as you like--that is, there can be only one unit's difference, or no units in common whatsoever, or anywhere in between.

When you receive your tournament card, record both armies. Your primary army goes in the [probably red] section; your backup army goes in the [probably blue] section. Immediately before you begin play each match of the tournament, briefly switch cards with your opponent so that you can see what army you will be playing against, and your opponent can do the same.

For the first two matches of the tournament, use your primary army; the backup army is not used at this point. Before the third game, and before each game thereafter, everyone who has lost at least two games may choose to retire their primary army and begin using their backup army. If you choose to do this, draw a line through your primary army on your tournament card. Your decision to retire your primary army is irrevocable; once you do so, your primary army is not used and you must use your backup army exclusively.

Your choice to retire your primary army is made before assigments are given for the upcoming match. Thus, you will not know either the next map you will be playing on, nor who your opponent is (or what army they will be using). Your decision is based solely on whether you feel that your primary army has performed poorly enough that you would be better off switching to your backup army.

Switching armies is entirely optional, and therefore you do not have to bring a backup army if you do not wish to. You cannot switch to your backup army unless you have lost two games. Your decision to switch must be made during one of the windows allotted for switching and at no other time. Once you switch, you cannot switch back. If you honestly don't have enough figures to field a backup army, please contact the tournament organizers and we will make every effort to help you out.

Avoiding Duplication

Duplication of Opponent: For the first match, if your randomly chosen opponent is someone that you came to the tournament with (i.e. family member or friend), tell the tournament organizers and they will arrange a switch. In later matches, you may play either someone you came with or someone you've already played. That's just the way the tourney ball bounces.

Duplication of Map: In any match, if you and your opponent have played two other matches on that map (i.e., if you have played two games on it, or your opponent has played two games on it, or you have played one game on it and your opponent has played one game on it), notify the tournament organizers and they will arrange for you to play your match on a different map.

Mistakes/Questions During Play

If you make a mistake during play in your opponent's favor, such as forgetting to use your bonding, forgetting to add a bonus for height, special powers, etc, or just moving somewhere you didn't mean to, the mistake stands. Your opponent may allow you to correct the mistake (go ahead and take the bonding turn, roll the extra die, change your move, etc), but certainly is not obliged to. It's a tournament. Strict rules apply.

If you make a mistake during play in your own favor and your opponent catches you, you must immediately reverse the mistake (reroll all your dice if you rolled too many, return to your starting point if your move was illegal, etc). If your opponent doesn't catch the mistake until after s/he begins his/her next turn, the mistake stands.

Try to insure that all your dice are rolled on a flat surface. If any of your dice are "cocked" (i.e. not lying flat) or roll off the table, you must reroll all of them. (Again, your opponent can show mercy on you at his/her option.)

If your figure won't fit, it can't stop there. Period. No "it mostly fits," no "it's almost flat on the board," no "stinger denial is so cheesy." Sorry. (Again, your opponent can be nice to you.)

If you and your opponent disagree as to line of sight, just roll off with the d20's. No need to make a big deal about it.

If you or your opponent has a rules question or clarification that you can't settle between you, solicit the opinions of other players until you find 2 others in agreement, then take that as a final decision. To be clear: once you find 2 other people who agree with each other--regardless of whether or not they agree with you--stop asking. Feel free to start with the tournament organizers; many of them are very knowledgeable about the game, the official Hasbro FAQ, and the rules discussions at Heroscapers.com.

Time Limit Per Match

At the beginning of each match, the tournament organizers will announce the start of the match. After 45 minutes, the tournmanet organizers will call time. At this time, finish the current round that you and your opponent are playing. For instance, if you just started the round, play all 3 turns. If you are currently just finishing turn 3, that will be the end of your game.

After the match is complete, score the game according the partial scoring rules.

Last edited by warriorneedsfoodbadly; October 20th, 2009 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Updated confirmed details
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Southern California NHSD

Excellent!

Okay, SSX and I are in as a definite. I can contribute one small booster to the prize table. I really would rather not bring maps because a) I suck at anything to do with maps, including gathering all the tiles up for building one, and b) I suck at getting places early, which would be necessary for people bringing maps. But if there's anything else we need--I have a whiteboard, I have a small folding table (not big enough for a map, probably, but possibly useful for something else)--just let me know.

I could possibly bring some beer as well. Would it be okay to stash the beer in the fridge until after the tournament, that sort of thing? That way it'd be nice and frosty by the time the tourney was over ... mmmm .... frosty brewskis .... mmm ...

What was I saying? Oh, yeah, need to settle on tourney style and all that. Mainly I just need to know how many points so I can to work on designing my killer armies.

(Which I will undoubtedly play horribly, but what the hey. )
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:53 AM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The pop and I are down so far. As for tournament style, I say 520 pts, five rounds. Rank winners by W/L ratio then strength of schedule, then points remaining if necessary. I can bring one to two maps if you need them and I will try to donate something for the prize table, though I'm not yet sure what. Its always a good day so I'm looking forward to it. I'll be sure to alert my crew by the way. I'll tell you if any of them can make it. I suggest keeping a running total of attendees, contributions, etc.

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:00 AM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

I'm in.

And however the majority wants to play is fine with me. Just coming for yet another good time with the SoCal'ers.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:36 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker

I'm there, G. I'm bringing trophies and a prize for the prize table. I'll wait on ordering the trophies until the actual format is decided, but I'm thinking of getting them for the top two and the bottom (vanguard?) player.

I can handle a couple of maps and I have tables if we need more.

We probably should keep a tally of players making it in the first post and then throw up the format, maps and other necessary info ans its decided on. Looking forward to it.

Oh, and we gotta change the name of the thread to the "SoCal Slaughter." It will be our 3rd year running with that title.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
We probably should keep a tally of players making it in the first post and then throw up the format, maps and other necessary info ans its decided on. Looking forward to it.

Oh, and we gotta change the name of the thread to the "SoCal Slaughter." It will be our 3rd year running with that title.
Done and done.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:24 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker
Re: SoCal Slaughter

I'll be going and bringing 2-3 maps. I'm voting for a 520-540 point total.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My brother and I are in. And I might have one more guy that isn't on the boards.

If any other SD scapers want to carpool up I can seat one (or maybe two) more people comfortably.

Could we have a 10:00 start time so that we don't have to leave too early. (Google estimates that the trip will take 2.5 hours without traffic)

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M
Could we have a 10:00 start time so that we don't have to leave too early.
A later start time would be rather cool for me, too. If need be, I'll make it there by 8'am'ish... but would rather not have to leave my place by 5'am.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old August 24th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Updated with all the details we have so far.

Some things we should be able to settle fairly quickly:

Is Marvel allowed? Personally I vote yes (as always). C'mon people: don't be afraid of the Marvel!

Do people have to play the same army every round? I'm assuming so, although certainly it would be interesting if you didn't. Like wouldn't it be awesome if you could bring 2 or 3 armies, and then at the beginning of a round (meaning a round of the tournament, obviously, not each round of the game), you and your opponent roll off, loser has to choose their army first. That way loser can pick a good army for the map, and winner can pick a good army given the map and some intelligence on the army of the opponent. Or both players could write down their choices once the map is known and then reveal them simultaneously, if we didn't want to have that extra intellignece. Or, roll off the first round, then, in subsequent rounds, the person with more wins (roll off for ties) has to choose first, giving a slight advantage to the people who are currently behind. Just some thoughts.

Points. I like the 520, which is becoming sort of standard for us. But 540 could be interesting too. Or 550, or even 560 ... I dunno about more than that. Some people do 600, so I hear. Seems high to me. Likewise, I know 500 is popular in some quarters, but I really like the extra flexibility of going to 520 at least. But I'm already starting to playtest some armies, so I need to know what you guys want to do for points.

What say you guys?
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Samurai is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Count me in, however there is a tiny chance that i will not be able to make it. 520pts sounds good, and i am not in favour of the Marvel.
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

I say no marvel. Making it:
Yes (1)
No (2)

Also I have 2 maybes.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day