Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old July 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM

himsati knows what's in an order marker himsati knows what's in an order marker
Re: Florida Frenzy 3.0 - NHSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wolf View Post
One more question. I don't know if this has been answered in a previous post but isn't it against the rules to have a face down glyph of kelda? Because squad figures are not allowed to pass over it or land on it so hasbro made that rule.
That is correct, one of the changes to tournament format for use with these is that before the first initiative is rolled (but after all setup and order markers are placed) the glyphs are turned right-side up; and yes this appears to be designed to make the first round very dynamic. Depending on which glyphs show up in which locations, players may suddenly start recalculating moves on the fly to see if they can use their existing order marker setup to get to a glyph or now ignore a glyph they were intending to reach originally.

I'm going to get some verification on how glyphs like Kelda are used in comparison to how the tourney rules have been run at least by us in the past.

EDIT - UPDATE 07/30/2009
Having chatted a few PM's to R˙chean the way he handles it at Gen Con (and in fact any tournament he runs) is to Set your armies, flip up the glyphs, then set order markers. So that is how we'll do it... all glyphs will be face-up and known before you set order markers for the first round.

Technically as he reminded me there is no set rules for that for a tournament, but since that seems to be the majority method chosen and is used for the Gen Con tournaments...

Last edited by himsati; July 30th, 2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: UPDATE ON GLYPH USAGE
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:24 PM

SmoKingToad Woo who?

Thanks for the pm himsati, i look forward to seeing everyone again at this great event. You can put me down on the list of attendants for outside of a disaster i will be there. All of the maps look pretty cool so im sure the ones that are picked for the event will be great. As for location im about alil over an hour from orlando and i would have to drive by cool stuff games to get to armada, about 3 hours away, so my vote in that is for cool stuff. However i wouldnt mind having the next tournament at whatever place we dont go to.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 02:25 PM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

I was bored:

I didn't make and real ones, this is just in photoshop. I figured we should play in style, lol.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:17 PM

Torog has disabled reputation

I spoke directly to one of the owners of Armada Games this afternoon. He was aware of your email. He did assure me that they are behind the idea. Their concern was the exact date. So it may be a good idea to phone them or try another email. Please disregard if you've spoken to them already. If you don't get a reply soon let me know.

The tables are four by eight totalling six also, they have six or more comparable to what we've been using. The secondary tables maybe a little larger to Sci Fi's.

Needless to say my vote's for Tampa if for no other reason than I'm a selfish bastage...plus what Zealot said.

As adequate as the term couch potato is a more accurate term is cattle. Fat, lazy, and ready to be eaten.

-Max Brooks
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

himsati, I told Cool Stuff to contact you last week, have you heard from them yet?

Also, for the places you are considering, perhaps you could ask if they have a Wii set up, some of us would be interested in playing a certain fighting game together after the tournament.

Last edited by BurnyFlame; August 5th, 2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: set up is 2 words
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
himsati, I told Cool Stuff to contact you last week, have you heard from them yet?

Also, for the places you are considering, perhaps you could ask if they have a Wii set up, some of us would be interested in playing a certain fighting game together after the tournament.
Nothing from Cool Stuff and nothing from Armada either and I've checked my ISP spam filter that holds all my mail for two weeks before deleting. I'm going to call both stores this weekend and talk to them personally so I can ask them the questions and jot down the short full list of what we deal with concerning each store.
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

Since you are still exploring options, I hear SciFi City is open that weekend . . .
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

I think SciFi was gonna be out of the question, however it may be plan C if the other two don't come through.

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM

ellak96 knows what's in an order marker ellak96 knows what's in an order marker

Maps: Common Ground, Highways And Dieways, Sentinel, Slash and Burn, Passing Through, and derelict
Old August 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM

In order to be completely fair I have sent the following e-mail to both stores at the same time and will follow up with a phone call on Tuesday. I decided I wanted to put all questions in writing and send them the exact same questions to as to make sure that I didn't skip anything in a casual phone call to them this weekend. Here is what I've asked them...
---------------------
Good afternoon,

Both of your stores have (through individual players at heroscapers.com that have contacted me) shown an interest in hosting tournaments for Heroscape for our Florida player’s organization. As the tournament organizer for both the National Heroscape Day as well as the spring main tournament, I’d like to see if you might be able to answer some questions for me. I’ve been told that at least one of you may have attempted to contact me via e-mail but I haven’t received anything. If you would, go ahead and copy your reply to rickdon@aol.com and also to donr@pbso.org in order to assure that I receive your response. What I’d be most interested in doing (and what the Florida player’s organization seems to be in favor of) is having one of you host our fall tournament on October 17th and the other host our spring tournament (usually held in mid-late April – date to be set). We are currently looking to leave our current hosting FLGS in Orlando “Sci-Fi City”. Though they have always been gracious and accommodating with space, the store’s involvement in the tournament and their support of Heroscape itself has always been negligible; it is my hope to find one or two locations that are more “into” teaming with the Florida player’s organization for future tournaments.

So a few questions if I might:

1) Is your location available to host our tournament on October 17th for upwards of 32 players plus tournament organization space (usually 1 table)?
2) What are the size of your standard tables?
Most maps once built are typically in the range of 2’ x 3’, with a some slightly larger and once in a while slightly smaller. Then add in space for laying out player materials and rolling dice (or for dice towers) and normally a 30” x 72” table will hold one map, occasionally two maps.
3) We normally arrive at 9:30AM to start building maps, players begin arriving around 10:00AM, tournament typically starts at 11:00AM and I try to have us wrapped and breaking down the majority of the maps before 7:00PM (though a few players tend to stay a little later for casual gaming with some of the remaining maps). Is this a schedule you can accommodate?
4) Materials: Do you have available Heroscape sets that maps can be built from, or will we be required to bring all the materials? If you do, can you let me know roughly what you have available to build with.
5) Store Rules: Does your location have any specific rules, regulations, etc. that we should be aware of? For example, Sci-Fi City has X-Box systems and even when not in use no one may sit in those chairs; I am thinking of rules concerning outside food and drink, minors and rules concerning being accompanied by a parent, etc.
6) Prize Support: Do you engage in any form of prize support for your hosted tournaments? If so what kind (product giveaway, store certificates [physical/online], etc.)?
7) Snacks/Drinks: As many gaming stores carry a small variety of drinks and snacks (typically vending machines), do you also do this?
8 ) Parking: What is your parking situation like
9) Construction: Is there any construction (specifically road construction) taking place around your store or slated to begin taking place during the proposed time of the tournament?
10) Dining: Do you have any area restaurants/fast food locations within short walking distance of your location?

I thank you again in advance for your kind responses,

Sincerely,
Rick Don (Himsati)
Organizer – Heroscape Florida Frenzy tournament series
----------------------------
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by himsati View Post
[email]
That looks nice. I smell some awesome prize support offered by each store to try to win us over.
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Good, e-mail, you should have given point values to each question, then you can add em up lol

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day