Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old January 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
A post about the community

Well, hello again. I haven’t been as active as I usually am, as I’ve been busy during the holidays, but I’ve still managed to obsessively check the site, even though I haven’t read much. But I just felt I needed to write something up for the community. So I starting thinking of something. I could do a strategy guide…. Nah, I usually only get to play once every week or so, so there are many other people who are better than me at that. I could write something up for customs… Again, there are people who have more experience and would be better at that. So what should I do?

Unfortunately, you get stuck with this. My apologies.

It’s pretty obvious that our community is much different than other places on the internet. I knew that after only a short while here. I joined GameFAQs.com a few years back for some help on a game, so I asked a (apparently very stupid) question about it. I get flamed and yelled at. Most people thought I was making a joke. Only (I think) one person actually answered my question. It sucked.
I’ve ventured through numerous other boards eventually. Star Wars fan sites (I’ve lost a lot of interest in SW since the movies finished, though, so I didn’t hang around too long), private sites with friends (Experience has shown that most of these sites die out within a few months. This was no different), other random places that I’ve long since forgotten…
But when I stumbled upon a gigantic map of Helm’s Deep made with HeroScape pieces through a Google image search, my “internet-life” changed.

Good grammar? Intelligent discussions? It seemed so unreal… I’ve always hated most “fads” and other popular stuff. I’ve never gone with what’s popular; I stick with what I like and dislike. Yeah, I’ve gotten crazy looks for not liking Japanese cartoons (Or pretty much TV, for that matter), but I’ve never cared. I have that much more time to be doing something else. In the same way, I’ve never found “Rick-rolling” very funny, and Chuck Norris jokes stopped being funny for me after about five minutes. I don’t mean to offend anyone, if you like these things, but that’s just how I am. You can laugh at Mr. Astley if you want; just don’t expect me to split my side whenever he sings a certain song.

But back to the subject of the previous paragraph; I really didn’t like the internet, except when I wanted information about something. The assumption grew that everyone that was on the internet was immature, or acted that way just to be funny. (Again, no offense. Sorry!)

But when I found HSers, I found out that not everyone forgot their English and Spelling classes from 2nd grade! After spending some time here (Already over a year… Wow….), I’ve seen quite a few people from various other internet places migrating over. I would be surprised is most of them stayed very long, even if Cav and Onacara didn’t get to them immediately. Basically, if you’re a new member, from the (now-named) other internet, there are two ultimate deities here that exsist in very few other parts of the ‘net.

Number one? The dreaded search button… This board has been around for over two (Almost three now?) years. Chances are, if it’s related to HeroScape, it’s been discussed before. Continuing old discussions with some good comments is perfectly fine, and is preferred over creating a whole new thread that just takes up space.

Number 2? The deplorable grammar!!!! Yeah, “i wuz wundring how u make hight advntge to q9s spceial attak,” is hard to read. (Heck, if took me much longer than I thought I’d have to just to type that!). I’ve never understood why people don’t bother to use it in most places on the ‘net. Laziness, I’ve just assumed. Unfortunately, I’m probably right. If you’re too lazy to type a single sentence correctly, why should anyone take the time to answer it? It’s rather inconsiderate, as many people have trouble deciphering that. Now, there are exceptions to this, as we have many members from outside the US, a few of whom knows English as a second or even third language! If they can’t type straight, that’s not being lazy; that’s trying your best at something you’re not very practiced at.
…And besides, putting “i werk wellz wit oters round,” just doesn’t look good on a resume.

There is another part of this community that has been introduced rather recently, that has taken over the way many people talk, type, or do basically anything on this site.
Of course, I’m talking about the retched rep!

I think only the admins’ posting has been unaffected by this. They’ve already got 11 green bars, and they implemented it! They’ve got nothing to fear!
But most of us regular peoples have changed a bit. I, personally, have thought more before I post stuff. I’ve even erased long posts I’ve written out because I realized that the comments could offend someone, not have any impact on the topic, or is just plain stupid. Why would I delete my work? ‘Cause I don’t want a little red box. Why don’t I want one? I dunno. It doesn’t do anything. Neither to the green ones I have. I guess a few people like some stuff I’ve said here. It’s obsessive, for no explainable reason!
I’m sure most of us have made posts just to try and get some more sacred reputation points. I know I’m guilty of that. But I also know that rep isn’t everything. There are a lot of good people here that have been around for quite some time that have relatively low rep counts, simply because they don’t post that often for people to take as much notice. Just because they’re lower on that scale doesn’t make them less respected members that higher guys.
So, it’s increased post quality by making people think before they type, while also lowering post quality by making people try to scarf up every little green box they can? Eh, it’s some kind of paradox. Best leave it alone and not think about it. Delving too deeply into the psychology of the reputation paradox will probably kill Schrodinger’s cat.

So, what’s great about this place? It ain’t the rest of the internet; that’s what. It’s the community. We’re all friends, whether we have different views or not. It’s funny how something so simple as a board game can unite people into a solid group. I’ve seen no other website like this, and you guys are easily the best people I’ve ever met on the internet.
I’ve wanted to go to Gencon this year, but don’t know if I will because of money for school and such. But thinking back about why I wanted to go; the tournaments, promo figures, and vast amounts of board games weren’t my top reason. I just want to meet all of you! (Though being careful to have at least six layers of gloves before shaking Onacara’s hand. )

Like I said before, I don’t get to play ‘Scape as much as I want to, but I’m still here. Why?

Simply put: I came for the HeroScape, but stayed around for the community.

...Hope I didn't bore you!
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:29 AM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: A post about the community

Burny flame, can you not use that bright red? It's starting to aggravate my irises.

LP, I think you're really right here. Heroscapers are awesome people. The grammar and the politeness really help to make people feel welcomed. When I joined this site, I actually started a thread asking simple things like "How do I change my text color" or "How do I get little boxes around what other people say?." Anywhere else, I'd have been flamed and mocked. Here, I was helped, and no one laughed at me for my lack of forum abilities.

People here are just of a better kind. You can tell that when someone wants to spell correctly, and the site has built in spell check, "We can has a good grammar!"

I've made posts just for rep before, I admit it. But, I haven't let it stop what I'm saying either. I really should watch what I say more, but I tend to speak my mind, and then appologize.
Old January 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy View Post
Burny flame, can you not use that bright red? It's starting to aggravate my irises.
Seconded.
Quote:
People here are just of a better kind. You can tell that when someone wants to spell correctly, and the site has built in spell check, "We can has teh good grammer!"
Fixed.
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've got to agree with you on the rep system. I've been neg-repped twice since I was here, and the first didn't hurt, because I deserved it, but the second was a doozy. I don't know what it is, but I love the greenies, even though it means nothing in life. I guess the reason I like it so much is, people agree with me, or think I'm funny. And, that makes you feel like your not so useless on the site.
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness

i'm has gotted veryful goodly grammars...

Great post! I agree with you on just about every point, and speaking of rep, you've got some headed your way now...
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Has A Ticket To Ride

EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOMINATION View Post
I've got to agree with you on the rep system. I've been neg-repped twice since I was here, and the first didn't hurt, because I deserved it, but the second was a doozy. I don't know what it is, but I love the greenies, even though it means nothing in life. I guess the reason I like it so much is, people agree with me, or think I'm funny. And, that makes you feel like your not so useless on the site.
Plus the fact that when you give out +rep and negrep someone, it actually matters. Thanks, Lord Pyre for the great post. I wish I had some +rep for you, but I gave mine away.

As a sidenote, I have found that I would prefer to have the most +rep with the fewest points. I feel proud that I have gotten most of my bars through positive posting, rather than getting a freebie for 800+ posts or 6 months of membership. All in all, this funny system of Rep helps keep us all from stupid posts and rewards our conscience for productive posting.

~ET86

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwayman View Post
Classic-Scape is just the Frosting for the Marvel-Scape cake!
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart

Great Post Lord Pyre! I think that pretty much anyone that says they haven't posted anything just for rep alone is either on something or they are lying.
Old January 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Well, hello again....

Simply put: I came for the HeroScape, but stayed around for the community.
That one, simple sentence eloquently sums it all up. Kudos on a nice post, Lord Pyre.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pti8 View Post
I think that pretty much anyone that says they haven't posted anything just for rep alone is either on something or they are lying.
I try not to. How about that? Seriously, my posting has gone down since the introduction of the rep system. If I see something I like I used to post a response that indicated I liked it. Now I'm more likely to rep instead of replying unless I have something to add.
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

I could have sworn I had a post earlier. It's the strangest thing. . .

Anyway, to summarize what I said earlier, I agree with Lord Pyre that this community rocks. But I am disheartened to hear that sometimes people don't post because they are afraid of getting bad rep. Why else read anything but the first post in each thread unless you want to hear what others think? Unless it is completely useless, people should feel free to post. But like I said, this site rocks, including the strong taste of irony.

Hooray for censorship!
Old January 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
I could have sworn I had a post earlier. It's the strangest thing. . .

Anyway, to summarize what I said earlier, I agree with Lord Pyre that this community rocks. But I am disheartened to hear that sometimes people don't post because they are afraid of getting bad rep. Why else read anything but the first post in each thread unless you want to hear what others think? Unless it is completely useless, people should feel free to post. But like I said, this site rocks, including the strong taste of irony.

Hooray for censorship!
Huh, just noticed that your post was deleted.

But you seem to have the wrong idea of what I was trying to say. Ever hear the phrase "think before you speak?" The rep system makes us think more, because if we just post something stupid without thinking about what you just said, there's a high chance someone'll get you for it. No one wants a red box, so stupid comments that would cause nothing but trouble are cut down tremendously.
I said in the first post that I've deleted posts that I've written because they were stupid and wouldn't have helped anything. A joke once in a while is okay, but I've cut down saying stuff that is just plain stupid or offensive.
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Personally, I'm a bit annoyed with the rep system because it almost seems like Post Count 2.0 (now only counting activity since the new site!)* I don't think people neg rep often enough for it to ever have any noticeable effect unless you tag a new member, which I tend not to do anyway. I'd probably post just as many articles with or without the rep system, but now I get some little green things to show for it. Woo? There are a number of people that I think of as 'pillars of the community' that don't have as much rep as others.

I also think it's odd how this community seems to have such a high number of people that either work in schools or the ministry. What is it about HS or this site that attracts these types of people?

I will say that I've met some pretty cool people and even friends I'd want to hang out with outside of an HS tourney because of this site. Not to mention all the other board games that I've purchased due to other members' recommendations...

*but as Agent Minivann mentioned, I really like the ability to give a simple, "Sweet post/hilarious joke /why the heck did you post that garbage" notes with the rep system instead of starting flame wars in the open or making two word posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online