Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old December 8th, 2022, 03:32 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Remixed Master Sets

For Feldspar Dungeon I felt the allocation was pretty solid to be honest.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old December 8th, 2022, 09:50 AM

RainyDays rolls all skulls baby! RainyDays rolls all skulls baby! RainyDays rolls all skulls baby! RainyDays rolls all skulls baby!

I thought that this was an interesting idea so I decided to play around with the Ruins of Ghostlight Fen set and came up with this:

I'm not a very experienced mapmaker but I found this set challenging, not a lot of terrain but several LOS blockers (and large ones to boot). Also, not sure how I feel about only 8 road tiles. It seems that with such a small number there's not really much you can do with them than make a small path (as in you can't make loops, X's, or other shapes).

However, it was a good challenge working with something new and this is a very intriguing concept. I'm excited to see what comes of it.
Old December 8th, 2022, 01:42 PM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm thrilled to see this! Thanks for taking this on, @caps . Cool to see interest in the project, and even a couple sample maps already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Ruins of Ghostlight Fen only has 8 wall-walk tiles, is that enough to do something interesting with or do we need to move more over from Feldspar Dungeon?
I would rather keep all the wall-walk tiles together to maximize potential. @Awaken515 did well incorporating a functional road, and it gives the map a unique look, but having only 8 hexes of road really limits options.

Quote:
Durgeth Fortress and Crumland Outpost both have 5 24-hexers. Is that a good map-making challenge that will bring us some new and interesting map outlines? Or is it just obnoxious and one of them should swap a few 7 hexers over in order to get a 6th 24-hexer?
I agree with the conclusion you already reached - 6 and 4 is better than 5 and 5. Avoid odd numbers of 24-hex tiles if possible.

Quote:
Ruins of Ghostlight Fen has dramatically more level 0 tiles (shadow, ice, swamp water, water) than Feldspar Dungeon, but I counted those hexes when balancing out the hex count. Does that make RoGF maps too small?
Nothing wrong with lots of level 0 when deployed well.

---

As you continue to tweak the mixes and add more, I'd love to see visual representations (VS images) of the contents of each set. If you can find a decent way to lay out the contents, that would make it a lot easier (for me at least) to grasp what's in the mixes, compared to reading the terrain list.

Great start! I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
Old December 8th, 2022, 03:01 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I think I would move road tiles over; closer to 12-15 in RoGF. But I don't think they all need to be in the same set. There are already lots of maps that have beaucoup road; what does it look like to have maps that have limited road? I agree with everything else GameBear said. I'll try to make those VS images this weekend.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 8th, 2022, 03:48 PM

Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
I think I would move road tiles over; closer to 12-15 in RoGF. But I don't think they all need to be in the same set. There are already lots of maps that have beaucoup road; what does it look like to have maps that have limited road?
This approach resonates with me, and I also agree with the comments that 8 road tiles is too few. Given that a figure must start and travel fully on the road for it to matter, 8 tiles makes it highly unlikely that the road is actually useful. 12-15 seems like a better number, but it's still small enough to require "road light" designs.

Quote:
Ruins of Ghostlight Fen has dramatically more level 0 tiles (shadow, ice, swamp water, water) than Feldspar Dungeon, but I counted those hexes when balancing out the hex count. Does that make RoGF maps too small?
While I don't think the maps will necessarily be too small, it certainly encourages them to be flatter. A few extra road/wall-walk tiles may also help mitigate this a bit. RoGF has a very unusual allocation of pieces, and I'm really curious to see what folks come up with.

* Available: Confrontation & other minis for C3V units (various Varks, Cultists, Gnids, etc.) *
My Sale/Trade List
The Orphanage - HS Figure Exchange
(My available/wanted orphans)

Last edited by Grison; December 9th, 2022 at 01:24 AM.
Old December 9th, 2022, 12:44 AM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am thrilled with the idea of having new map parameters to design maps with. As I understand the initial post, we can still add in another terrain set or two.

I could choose to build a RoGF map with a RttFF set, correct?

Hmm . . . think of the possibilities.
Old December 9th, 2022, 01:24 AM

Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby! Grison rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I am thrilled with the idea of having new map parameters to design maps with. As I understand the initial post, we can still add in another terrain set or two.

That would be a ton of LoS blockers...

* Available: Confrontation & other minis for C3V units (various Varks, Cultists, Gnids, etc.) *
My Sale/Trade List
The Orphanage - HS Figure Exchange
(My available/wanted orphans)
Old December 9th, 2022, 02:25 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

Yes. Although for starters I would encourage people to explore what they can do with the limitations of no additional expansions.

--
--
--

--
Old December 9th, 2022, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Durgeth Fortress and Crumland Outpost
1xRotV
1xSotM
1xFotA

Durgeth Fortress - download the .vsc (VirtualScape collection file) here
Code:
1    hive
1    gate
4    wall corner
2    wall end
3    wall straight
25    battlement
11    ladder
8    grass 1-hex
2    grass 2-hex
4    grass 24-hex
2    grass 3-hex
1    grass 7-hex
1    rock 2hex
1    rock 3-hex
1    sand 2-hex
1    sand 3-hex
2    swamp 1-hex
2    swamp 2-hex
2    swamp 24-hex
2    swamp 3-hex
10    swamp 7-hex
22    swamp water
10    wall-walk 1-hex
1    wall-walk 9-hex
15    water tiles
Crumland Outpost - download the .vsc (VirtualScape collection file) here
Code:
1    ruin 3-hex
1    ruin 2-hex
6    wall corner
2    wall end
4    wall straight
25    battlement
11    ladder
9    grass 1-hex
4    grass 2-hex
2    grass 24-hex
3    grass 3-hex
4    grass 7-hex
7    rock 1-hex
2    rock 24-hex
3    rock 2hex
3    rock 3-hex
4    rock 7-hex
5    sand 1-hex
2    sand 2-hex
3    sand 3-hex
7    sand 7-hex
12    swamp water
11    wall-walk 1-hex
1    wall-walk 7-hex
14    water tiles
Durgeth Fortress (and the collection file) has been updated to v2 with:
  • -2 grass 1-hex tiles
  • -1 grass 2-hex tiles
  • -1 grass 3-hex tiles
  • -2 grass 7-hex tiles
  • +1 grass 24-hex tiles
Crumland Outpost (and the collection file) has been updated to v2 with:
  • +2 grass 1-hex tiles
  • +1 grass 2-hex tiles
  • +1 grass 3-hex tiles
  • +2 grass 7-hex tiles
  • -1 grass 24-hex tiles
Quote:
Feldspar Dungeon and Ruins of Ghostlight Fen
1xBftU
1xSotM
1xFotA
1xTT

Feldspar Dungeon - download the .vsc (VirtualScape collection file) here
Code:
2    dungeon 1-hex
2    dungeon 2-hex
2    dungeon 24-hex
2    dungeon 3-hex
3    dungeon 7-hex
2    grass 1-hex
2    grass 2-hex
1    grass 3-hex
2    rock 1-hex
2    rock 2-hex
2    rock 3-hex
3    rock 7-hex
2    sand 1-hex
2    sand 2-hex
2    sand 3-hex
8    sand 7-hex
12    swamp water
9    wall-walk 1-hex
1    wall-walk 7-hex
1    wall-walk 9-hex
10    water tiles
30    battlement
14    ladder
10    wall corner
4    wall end
7    wall straight
1    gate
Ruins of Ghostlight Fen - download the .vsc (VirtualScape collection file) here
Code:
21    ice
1    rock 3-hex
1    rock 7-hex
8    shadow tiles
12    snow 1-hex
12    snow 2-hex
2    swamp 1-hex
2    swamp 2-hex
2    swamp 24-hex
2    swamp 3-hex
10    swamp 7-hex
22    swamp water
12    wall-walk 1-hex
10    water tiles
20    battlement
8    ladder
3    glacier 1-hex
3    outcrop 1-hex
1    glacier 3-hex
1    outcrop 3-hex
1    glacier 4-hex
1    glacier 6-hex
1    hive
Feldspar Dungeon (and the collection file) has been updated to v2 with
  • -4 wall-walk 1-hex tiles
Ruins of Ghostlight Fen (and the collection file) has been updated to v2 with
  • +4 wall-walk 1-hex tiles

--
--
--

--
Old December 9th, 2022, 11:04 PM

Here is my first draft of a map using Ruins of Ghostlight Fen. I call it Ghostlight Mere. It needs a lot of work (I probably need to swap the start zones to be made of 7-hexers...) but this is the rough idea I have. It is not symmetrical, but I think that's okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ghostlight Mere-1.jpg (647.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Ghostlight Mere-2.jpg (681.2 KB, 0 views)

--
--
--

--
Old December 10th, 2022, 02:19 PM

And here's an early draft of a Durgeth Fortress map; I call it Swamp Rocks.

It is inspired by the "classic" early-days Heroscape map Turret Rocks which is a deeply flawed map, but I also think it has the bones of an interesting map. With this one I've tried to mitigate most of the flaws of the original. It probably still needs some work but I think it has potential.

The Durgeth Fortress terrain set is a challenge to work with (though in a good way, I think), or at least it was for this map. I would have liked to have a little more relative height advantage on the hills (and perhaps a road tile on top of them) but I didn't have enough tiles. Perhaps if I find a way to shift the start zone 24-hexers over and in a little bit...

As I said, more work to do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swamp Rocks v2-a.jpg (913.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Swamp Rocks v2-b.jpg (1.12 MB, 0 views)

--
--
--

--
Old January 3rd, 2023, 07:02 PM

Happy New Year, everyone!

I am curious if anyone has had a chance to try out the proposed "remixed master sets" and has any thoughts on how they work out in practice. I've been happy with them so far (though I still need to try a few of them out).

My goal would be to have something "finalized" that we could use for a map contest starting later this month.

--
--
--

--

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios