Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 15th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!
Question about iPods

I'm a total newb when it comes to iPods and MP3s. I'm thinking about getting an iPod nano, but I never have gotten a clear answer to this question. Do you need iTunes to download songs from your cds onto your iPod? Or do you need iTunes just for songs that you want to buy off the internet? If I do need iTunes for putting anything and everything on an iPod, then I might just get an MP3 player. I've always been kind of turned off by them though, because iPods have always seemed to be better. What do you guys think?

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Re: Question about iPods

To put any kind of songs onto your iPod you DO need to download itunes from apple.com. It's free and painless and it took me about 30 minutes to download(I don't know if this is the same with everyone it's just my computer is really slow) You can also buy songs from itunes for just 99 cents per song. I hope I helped at all. You should definately get an ipod cause they're MUCH better than MP3 Players.

Old August 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I bought an 80 gig iPod, and love it to bits. Yes, you do need iTunes, but GForce3062 explained it better than I did. One of the greatest things about them is that along with music, pictures, and video, you can use one of the bigger ones to back up obscene amounts of data. I have mine backing up almost my entire computer! Podcasts are another good thing that's free. The only thing I don't like about the whole thing is iTunes converting my music to MP4, or if you bought it online, MA4. That way, you can't easily share it with someone unless you actually burn a disc with those songs on it. But all in all, I love the whole setup.
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

iTunes is proprietary for the iPod... meaning you HAVE to use it for ANY music you want to put on your pod.

The good news is that it's pretty painless to import your music library.

iPod is THE way to go if you ask me, the 8 gig nano has served me well for about a year now... and I STILL have some room left on it (albeit about 8 cd's remaining...)

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yes you have to have Itunes, and I also have a 80G I love it, I mean say goodbye to clunky cd players, and cd's.

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

Actually there are other options besides iTunes. I used WinAmp on my desktop (when I switched to a laptop it turned out WinAmp crashes it--dunno if it's the program or Vista at fault). There are other options, too, if you don't like WinAmp. There's also SharePod and EphPod. For the real do-it-yourselfer, there's the option of installing alternative firmware (like RockBox) on the iPod and dragging and dropping files as to a flash drive.
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar View Post
Actually there are other options besides iTunes. I used WinAmp on my desktop (when I switched to a laptop it turned out WinAmp crashes it--dunno if it's the program or Vista at fault). There are other options, too, if you don't like WinAmp. There's also SharePod and EphPod. For the real do-it-yourselfer, there's the option of installing alternative firmware (like RockBox) on the iPod and dragging and dropping files as to a flash drive.
Along the same lines, to any of those, or anything else you know of, have a thing that allows you to mess with the colors, graphic, etc on your iPod? I know you can do it with the older ones, but iPod Wizard won't work with the newest one.
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

Great! Thanks guys. I thought iTunes was something I would have to buy. It sounds a tad inconvenient, but I can deal with it as long as downloading stuff isn't a big hassle. I'm thinking about getting a 3rd Generation 8GB iPod. The majority of the stuff I would want on it would be songs, but I might have a few music videos on it. I read that this model is decent.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
My custom terrain
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Your iPod should come with the latest version of iTunes on a disk. If you order it offline you get about 24 hours shipping for free, plus you don't have to pay taxes, plus you can get it laser engraved. Or you can simple go to Apple.com and click the iPod + iTunes tab and download it for free. Should take about 15-30 minutes to download and install depending on how quick your internet connection and computer are.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumline3469 View Post
Your iPod should come with the latest version of iTunes on a disk. If you order it offline you get about 24 hours shipping for free, plus you don't have to pay taxes, plus you can get it laser engraved. Or you can simple go to Apple.com and click the iPod + iTunes tab and download it for free. Should take about 15-30 minutes to download and install depending on how quick your internet connection and computer are.
Sounds good. How does buying a song off the internet work when using iTunes?

My custom terrain
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

You may set up an account (with a credit card/ debit card) and then you log into that account, just point and click when you're shopping in the iTunes store and it's yours. You can set up your same account to allow that song to be downloaded on up to 5 computers. The music store section of iTunes will even have a little section for new releases and suggestions of songs or CDs that you might like. It's a pretty neat little thing.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:40 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Just be careful with iPhones: they have a kill switch.

That's right: they can kill you...

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General