Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old September 28th, 2016, 10:57 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Old School Savage Throwdown: NHSD Maryland, 11/19/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
See the OP? November 19, that's the next one. I don't know when or where the one after that will be.
@DragonSlayer2 & all . . .

THE NEXT ONE (after November 19, 2016 in Savage MD) WILL PROBABLY BE AT THE FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF GENCON IN INDY, IN (Thursday August 17th - Sunday Aug. 20th 2017)

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; September 28th, 2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Corrected dates
Old September 28th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

No, Johngee. We will have another tournament in our area before next GenCon. Probably in February or March, as we have in the past.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 29th, 2016, 11:56 AM

Re: NHSD Maryland: 11/19 at Family Game Store in Savage, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_At_Arms View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Here's a "pretty vanilla" FORMAT SUGGESTION for you: Each player must have a 30 figure army totaling no more than 1,490 points. That way everyone that owns a Rise Of The Valkyrie Master Set can bring it and be ready to participate. Use partial card scoring to determine the winner of each 60 minute game. Every figure that is "killed" (eliminated) during a battle is permanently removed from that army and no longer available for the rest of the tournament. In the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th games every player will have to utilize only the units and figures that survived the previous battles, including partial squads, although I think that wounded heroes should be able to regenerate back to full health during the 15 minute breaks between games. Only players whose armies have been completely wiped out will be given an opportunity to reconstitute their entire army to have a second chance at a victory against better players that would now be handicapped by having to use their probably damaged, if not partially decimated armies (i.e. less than the full 1,490 points).
I love this concept! Let's work on some clarifications and try to make it as concise as possible. I also like the concept of armies gaining experience for participating in early battles (likely uniques only). Let's do this 10/15.

Will work on making this...as of right now would have to be no unfortunately.

Chuck
Hey Chuck ~
These ideas have been rolling around in my head for a long time and I'd love to "Brain Storm" with you to refine them and write them up as concisely as possible, but let's move this discussion over to the M.A.R.S. thread so as not to clog up this one with too much banter. I only posted it here to taunt Daddy_Scaper because he asked for suggestions. He knows that I <3 him and would be there if I could, whatever the format might be.

I've seen young played get frustrated and cry after suffering their 3rd or 4th defeat and have for a long time been thinking about a way to "handicap" the better players in the final rounds to give the lesser skilled players a Second Chance at pulling off a win. I'd hate to see a Noobee quit this fantastic hobby because of one bad Tournament experience.

I've also see grown men cry after having their well thought out Army thoroughly crushed by a little girl and her favorite creatures. I was very embarrassed thinking about the fact that she, still in her formative years, had never endured military training, studied history in depth, planned strategic maneuvers, or read Julius Ceasar, Jomeni, Clauswitz, Rommel, or Patton and if questioned may believe that Sun Tzu is just a Chinese Restaurant. It was then that I realized that HS is *NOT* a 'war game' like those I was accustomed to 'playing' and it is only an imaginative fun pastime that we 'grognards' pretend to take seriously.

I'll see over at
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=29191

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; September 29th, 2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: corrected typos
Old September 30th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I am thinking about permitting C3V units that are late in the "Public Playtesting" stage. These are units that have not been officially released, but this would be a valuable opportunity to get some testing done for them, and help us get them out the door.

Every unit I would permit to be used in this way is on the very edge of release. There would be no half-baked messed-up ideas. There should be nothing unreasonably high or low on the power scale.

The way I would implement this idea is as follows: If you wanted to take a C3V public playtesting unit for a spin, you would let me know. I would send you a few options until you found one you wanted to incorporate into your army. You would print up a card and probably use a proxy, unless you happened to have the mini(s) available.

You would commit to writing down a few notes about the performance of that unit in each of your games. You don't have to be a brilliant strategist or write a book, you just have to answer a few questions about how the unit performed, what map you played on, and whether it was fun.

What do people think of that? Is it something that would encourage or discourage your attendance?

Let me know.

edit: Hmm, no response yet. @akden , @kldonnelly , @Gurei-Ornery , what do you guys think? @Jet , you're coming, what do you think? @Robber , what's your story? I mean, I know you have to come back because you have the trophy, but are you bringing people? And what do you think of this post?

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; October 1st, 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old October 1st, 2016, 01:31 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I must confess that I'm not up to date on C3V units, and I'm probably unlikely to bring any in my army. If the acceptable units are pretty close to release, then I would assume that they are pretty close to being balanced. I do remember a couple of tourneys when some C3V units seemed a little overpowered, but I think that's mainly because they were unfamiliar and very few participants knew how to respond to them. That would seem to offer at least some slight advantage.

In summary. I don't have any strong objections to including them.
Old October 1st, 2016, 03:03 PM

Jet knows what's in an order marker Jet knows what's in an order marker

The only thing that I think might be an issue is the extra time it takes to read the C3V cards, as I'm sure most people are not familiar with them. Other than that, I don't have an issue and I'm still planning on coming!
Old October 1st, 2016, 03:05 PM

kldonnelly knows what's in an order marker kldonnelly knows what's in an order marker

I'm fine with people bringing them. I don't keep up with them myself so I won't be bringing any.
Old October 1st, 2016, 04:14 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Ok. There's a playtesting backlog, so even if just a couple of us bring Playtesting units, it'll be a help. So I'll go ahead & add that to the OP.

Thanks for your input, all!

= =
Old October 1st, 2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Ok. There's a playtesting backlog, so even if just a couple of us bring Playtesting units, it'll be a help. So I'll go ahead & add that to the OP.

Thanks for your input, all!
I also don't have a problem with these new units being play-tested during the tournament... it's not like this World Championship Poker with thousands of dollars in prize money on the line [hmmm, that would be kind of nice though, but I digress]. Half the fun of participating for those of us who don't get to play very often is seeing some new units in action for the first time, like when someone brought the Vulcanmech Incendiaryborgs or Mok and just ruined my whole strategy ( j/k @Gurei-Ornery )

What I did think of and want to suggest is having a separate table and map available for anyone to play a few rounds or a non-tourney 'side game' with these units in between regular games or after the main event is over - as long as they committed to documenting their reactions and opinions.

Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:21 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

I expect we'll have plenty of time for playtesting after the regular tournament, for those who want to do so. Will you be making the trip, Johngee?

= =
Old October 2nd, 2016, 02:32 AM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have no problem with C3V units at the tournament. I should be able to go.

I brought a bit of my heroscape stuff to college and I'm trying to hook people on it. I've been busy enough that I haven't played much, but I think there's a decent chance of me bringing a new player or two if I can get them interested in the game.
Old October 2nd, 2016, 10:45 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Cool.

They don't have to have mastered all the rules to play at the tournament. I have a couple friends who have only ever played at tournaments. As long as they have it mostly down, they'll learn the rest during the event.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day