Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old October 17th, 2015, 06:29 PM

jetjake knows what's in an order marker jetjake knows what's in an order marker
Re: Peoria NHSD 2015: Power Rankings

Amazing day! thank you to everyone who made it and thank you to Just 4 Fun for hosting it for us. There was strong support for a winter tournament, so check back here soon
Old October 17th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Um... Why am I a moderator?

Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would try to make it to a winter tournament.
Old October 17th, 2015, 07:40 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

As would I.

Had some awesome games today. Great crowd. Thanks for organizing, kevindola!
Old October 17th, 2015, 08:55 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Standings

I will post my battle reports tomorrow or Monday, but I wanted to get some results up. Below are all the people who finished with a winning record. Congrats all. Thanks to everyone who drove out, it was a great fun event as usual.

Champion: kevindola 6-1 (Greenscales x2, Gorillinators x2, Mimring, Raelin)

Runner Up: Jonathan 4-2 (Cyprien, Sonya, Tagawa Archers x2, Johnny Sullivan, Frost Giant)

3rd: Evar Scarcarver 4-2 (Evar Scarcarver, deathstalkers x2, Raelin, Krav Maga, Air Elemental, Isamu)

4th: jdtenor 3-2 (Kaemon Awa, Raelin, Spiders x3, Sujoah)
5th: vegie's dad 3-2 (Major Q9, Tagawa Archers x4, Feral Troll)
6th: vegietarian18 3-2 (Major Q10, Anubian Wolves x4, Khosumet)
7th: jetjake 3-2 (Stingers x2, Anubian Wolves x2, Raelin, Deathwalker 8000, Iskra Esenwein)

Last edited by kevindola; October 18th, 2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old October 17th, 2015, 10:10 PM

jetjake knows what's in an order marker jetjake knows what's in an order marker

Here are some pictures of the tournament today

Here is the prize table. Probably the best prize table we have ever had.

Everyone waiting around for the championship game to finish.

Championship game between Kevindola and Jonathon.

Evar-Scarcarver and Vegietarian18 playing on Fire Isles.
Old October 17th, 2015, 11:33 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Here are some close-ups I took of my battles:

My closest game, with jdtenor:

And my just for fun game with vminer:

Old October 18th, 2015, 11:12 AM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker

Thanks everyone, especially Kevin for keeping it alive last time I attended was 2010 five years ago good to see the group is pretty intact had a blast yesterday. Got some good pictures yesterday.

THE FINALS

GROUP PHOTO

Will also post on the Heroscapers facebook page
Old October 18th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

NHSD 2015 Report

Every time a format encourages you to play figures regarded as weak, I always like to break out the Anubian Wolves since I think they are a good deal underrated. With four squads of Wolves and the Darklord, I had 155 points of good figures that I got to fill out my army with. I decided to play Major Q10, to add a Harquebus counter as well as some range.

Game 1 vs. briaka (10th x2, Sonlen, Mika Connor, Sharwin Wildborn)

10th are pretty good against Anubians, so I decided to open with Q10 with the goal of shooting down the Redcoats regardless of what he opened with. He opened with Reds and they fell fairly quickly, but it ended up being an even trade of Q10 for the Redcoats. Luckily, my B- segment of my army was a little stronger than his. He placed Sonlen very well, on a chokepoint that forced the Wolves to step into water to get up to even ground a turn later, but sheer number overwhelmed the heroes.

1-0

Game 2 vs. vminer (Deathchasers x2, Swog Rider x2, Jotun, Frost Giant)

I opened with Q10 again, since he was good at thinning out 2 defense figures last time. He shot down a few Deathchasers and their Swog before they got much done, but the Frost Giant crept up on him and got rid of him pretty quickly. The Anubian Wolves finished the giant and then moved on to the next Giant. Jotun smashed a few Wolves, but I eventually rolled my first 20 of the day and finished him off.

2-0

Game 3 vs. jetjake (Stingers x2, Raelin, Anubian Wolves x2, Iskra, DW8K)

I led with the Anubians since I was worried about Q10 against pretty much everything in his army besides DW8K. jake opened with Stingers, who had some red hot attack rolls, but I had some great fury rolls that allowed me to hit through Raelin's aura and limit their activations. That gave me time to eat through Raelin, even though she threw a lot of shields. Eventually he had to switch over to his own Wolves, and he was bit by not having Khousmet with a 1 attack and 1 dead wolf turn. That turned the tide of the game and was enough for my few remaining wolves to finish off the rest of his army.

3-0

Game 4 vs. kevindola (Greenscales x2, Raelin, Mimring, Gorillanators x2)
kevin's army was one of the best for the format; I think all bonding in general is really good in B- and lower formats and he had a very good bonding army. This board made things really awkward for me. There was a lot of high ground lava and the only path to the start zone was a swampy low ground. He just sat in his startzone and scorched wolf after wolf as I ran them into the grinder of Greenscales he had set up. In retrospect I maybe should have used Q10 to try and stop that, but even then we just would have been exchanging blows. I was also pretty worried about a Mimring fireline on my startzone as I went with Q10. I think I misplayed this matchup pretty badly but I just had to win one more game to go into the playoffs and get a rematch.

3-1

Game 5 vs. Ninja Status (Knights x2, Thorgrim, Sir Denrick, Sir Dupuis, Marro Warriors)

Unfortunately, I was not able to get that game. Ninja Status's Knights proved to be too much for the Wolves to handle. I only managed to get 5 wounds on Sir Dupuis and kill Thorgrim and six Knights with the entire forces of the Anubian Wolves, due to a combination of really poor fury rolls and Thorgrim rolling excellent defense. I always felt like I had a chance if the dice turned, but it just never happened. There was just too much left over for Q10 to deal with, and he fell to the Marro Warriors.

3-2

Overall, I don't think my army was really ideal for the format. Q10 wasn't the best use of the non-B area of my points, and Anubians inconsistency and limited number of activations hurt throughout the day. I think the best armies for the partial ban list format are probably bonding armies (Spiders, Greenscales, MacDirks). It's a fun format to see different figures played though, and it was a fun day of Heroscape. I got to play 7 games in 5 hours, with time for lunch, so that was pretty cool.
Old October 18th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Um... Why am I a moderator?

Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness Evar-Scarcarver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You forgot the battle report for our game that we played for fun afterwards! I'll just post it here...

Evar Scarcarver vs. Vegietarian18 -
Q10 kills everybody. The end.
Old October 19th, 2015, 03:01 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

I love restricted formats, and this was no exception. I ran through some possibilities using Deathstalkers, Granite Guardians, or even Monks, before I decided on a Nilfheim lite build of Greenies, Mimring, and Raelin. That left me 180 points of <B- and 8 figures to play with. I spent a lot of time debating between what to do with it considering Roman Archers or Harqs, but nothing really worked out nicely. I finally settled on 2 squads of monkey, because it fit nicely and I figured that 7 move, 6 range with tough would work well in this format as long as the Mimster could take care of the opposing special attacker. This was true the whole day where each game really was: ‘can my opponent take down Mimring early?’ If yes, I was in dire straights….if not, it was likely going to be one sided.
My army: Greenscale Warriors x2, Gorillinators x2, Mimring, Raelin

Round 1: vs. jdtenor (#4, 3-2)
Kaemon Awa, Raelin, Spiders x3, Sujoah, Drow Chainfighter

Map: Fire Isles (Wannok, Ulinavia)

Jdtenor mixed a first turn OM on Raelin and then sent out his Samurai, while I danced Mimring around to fire line, but the dice results for us were opposite. I got 3 Fire Line attacks on Kaemon (2 out of Rae’s aura), but didn’t get a hit. (I did kill a couple of spiders) I also got 1 FLA and 3 Greenscale attacks on Raelin, but only managed 1 wound. On the other hand, jdtenor got a normal attack and a pair of quick string blasts on Mimring. 2 of those attacks were 4 skull hits, and even with Raelin. Mimring didn’t survive.

With Mimring gone it was really just played for posterity. I spent most of my attacks on Raelin who had taken height on lava, but she absorbed everything. I had one chance when jdtenor moved Kaemon to low ground to stay off lava (taking a disengage hit to do so). The next round I got 3 heighted attacks with Gorillas but only got 2 of the 3 hits I needed and Kaemon moved back into Rae’s aura and special attacked the monkey off the board. Sujoah and the spiders eventually came in to clean up the stragglers.

Jdtenor got the win with a 1 life Kaemon, 5 life Sujoah, the CF, and 5 spiders left. For the second year in a row, I lost my first round game at NHSD.

Record: 0-1

Round 2: vs. Ninja Status (#9, 1-4)
Knights x2, Sir Denrick, Thorgrim, Sir Dupuis, Marro Warriors, Isamu

Map: Turret Rockets (Dagmar)

I helped NS come up with this army, because he was low on figure options out of his collection and I threw this out there. I think it can be pretty strong, but yes, the knights are slow, and boy this is a terrible map for the knights against flying range. I basically flew Raelin and Mimring up to the rocks and rained fire down. When he finally got Denrick and some knights up to the top, I flew Mimring and Raelin back off the heights. I felt dirty. Denrick did leap off to engage the Greenscales, but he didn’t have enough. The Marros might have had a chance, but I targeted them early to knock them out. I won losing 3-4 Greenscales.

Record: 1-1

Round 3: vs. Jonathan (#2, 4-2)
Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, Tagawa Samurai Archers x2, Frost Giant of Morh
Map: Side Winder (no glyphs)

Jonathan gave me my sole loss last year, and has come a long way in skill since our first game at NHSD in 2010, so I had to be prepared. The map is a big one, but Mimring’s range is too. J sent out Frostilicus and some archers while I perched Raelin and spent some time firing at archers and the giant from over the glacier. The archers scored a few hits with their arrows, but fire line burned them away. Eventually Jonathan sent Cyprien into my base to try and chill Raelin and the dragon but came up short, and he fell to swarming Lizardfolk and their King. With the Vampire gone, it was up to the Giant, but due to a missed OM, I was able to be aggressive and surround the Frost giant with Lizardfolk on height boosted my Mimring. While the lizards were pounding Frosty, Mimring could torch Johnny in the startzone and did so killing him before he could be activated. I eventually won the match picking off the stragglers with Mimring. I finished with around 3 greenscales dead and a few hits on both Rae and Mimring.

Record: 2-1

Round 4: vs. vegietarian18 (#6, 3-2)
Major Q10, Anubian Wolves x4, Khosumet
Map: Boiling Point (no glyphs)

I was very concerned with the Major as I was with all big special attackers this tournament, but the map laid out very nicely for me as I didn’t even need to spend an order marker on Raelin to position with the short SZ to SZ distance. I was able to fly Mimring to spots that were at least 8 spaces away from incoming Anubians and Fire Line Away giving casualties before they could even make it. When Vegie did send the wolves against me, they crashed into a wall of 6 defense greenscales who rolled very well on defense holding the line, even with Vegie rolling 4 or 5 attack with the Anubians. I had managed to ping a SZ Q10 with a couple and once the Wolves were gone I sent Mimring in up close to finish him off.

As Vegie stated earlier, a more aggressive Q10 early on would have punished me more for sitting back and he could have gotten almost a round of Q10 attacking Raelin, but he would have been seeing Fire Line attacks in response and left his Wolves prone to attacks as well. I would have had to make a decision about sending Greenscales out of Raelin’s aura to engage Q10 or just sit back and exchange FLA with Q10. (or using a Rae OM in round 2)
I think I lost just 1 or 2 greenscales (and a lava damage wound to Mimring) in this one. It was a very rough map/matchup and I rolled incredibly well to make things worse. That was Vegie and I’s 10th tournament game between each other. Topped only by my 11 tournament games (all online) vs. Dysole.
Record: 3-1

Round 5: vs. vegie’s dad (#5, 3-2)
Major Q9, Feral Troll, Tagawa Samurai Archers x4

Map: Remains of Clionesia (no glyphs)

Rolling Rumble had the games go by so quickly last year that I had decided to play 5 rounds instead of 4 before the playoffs. Last year we had 3 people (vegie, vegie’s dad, Jonathan) undefeated after 4 rounds of play. This year we had zero undefeated players after 4 rounds of play (in fact Vegie was the only one undefeated after 3 rounds of play), so we knew there would be a playoff for anyone with 1 loss. Vegie’s dad and I both had 1 loss so this was a de facto playoff game. So after my 10th all time tournament game with Vegie, I had my 10th all time tournament game with his dad. The defending NHSD champ.

A look at his army and I knew this game was really going to be about who would die first, the Major or the Dragon. VD sent Q9 out and I moved Raelin. I blundered here though, placing Raelin in a spot that outdistanced Mimring in the SZ. VD almost missed it, but saw it at the last moment and attacked down on the unprotected dragon hitting for 2 wounds. Fire Line was strong in retaliation though and my 4v7 got 2 wounds on the soulborg. Q9 retreated on his last turn and his attack against the Rae aura’d Mimring was blocked. My last turn I played aggressive sending Mimring to hit Q9 for a 3rd wound and torch 2 Archers. I then engaged with Greenscales. All my figures outside of Raelin.

VD won initiatve, but couldn’t get through any of the greenscales engaging him. Mimring attacked again as did 3 Greenies, but couldn’t break through. Q9 this time killed 2 of the engaging Greenies. On my next turn, I had the enticing opportunity to torch 7 (YES 7!) Tagawas who were lined up in the first row of the Startzone. As amazing of a story that would have been, I decided to fall back and try Q9 again. It went through and the major went down. I used the lost OM to torch another Archer.

VD sent the Feral Troll out and due to next round OM on GNators, he caught Mimring, but only did 2 wounds (1 life left). Around an initiative switch though, he was swarmed and killed by Greenscales and Mimring.
VD conceded at that point, left with his 2 attack samurai archers against the daunting task of Raelin backed Gorillas with height and tough and behind a Greenscale screen.

I won with a 1 life Mimring, and other than that I lost 3 Greenscales.

Record: 4-1

Last year finishing me with 1 loss left me out of a 3 man playoff. This year, however I was IN a 3 man playoff. Evar Scarcarver had won a pseudo playoff game against jdtenor to finish 4-1. Vegie was upset by Ninja Status to be eliminated, and Jonathan got his 4th win against vminer.

One of the drawbacks of Rolling Rumble is that the playoff situation isn’t as clean as a standard Swiss style. We had 3 players last year and 3 this year qualifying for the playoffs. The good side of course is the speed of games, which is significant. When we do swiss people usually get 5 games in, and with rolling rumble we usually get 7 games in at about the same time.

So we looked at strength of schedule and Jonathan (courtesy of already playing me (loss) and Evar (win)) had the best tiebreaker. So he played a for fun game while me and Evar matched up in a semi-final game.

Semi-Finals: vs. Evar Scarcarver (#3, 4-2)
Deathstalkers x2, Krav Maga, Raelin, Evar Scarcarver, Air Elemental, Isamu

Map: Ticalla Sunrise (no glyphs)

My first matchup against Kravs this tournament (Evar might have been the only one to bring them) had me worried as they can do damage fast and with Raelin I was worried I would need to come to them to break through 5-6 defense of Stealth Dodge.

Evar however played them aggressively, and it played into my all Greenscales first round pretty well. He won initiative and on the 2nd turn sent 3 attacks of 4 down on Mimring, but he only did 2 wounds. Mimring and 2 greenscales engaged on the next turn, but I was only able to kill 1 Krav. Last turn of the round and the Kravs killed a scale and 1 more wound (3) to Mimring. Mimring and the Scales were able to finish off the Kravs though without any further damage.

After they were gone, I flew back to the comforts of my startzone and hot Fire Line attacking torched deathstalkers. I aimed for those outside of Rae’s aura, but even the ones with jungle and Rae didn’t hold up. Scarcarver sent his namesake in, but I got to him with Mim and Greenies around an initiatve switch and he didn’t get a hit. I think I lost 1 or 2 greenscales and a handful of wounds on raelin, but my hot attack rolling with Mimring made it very difficult for Evar to come back.

Record: 5-1

Championship: vs. Jonathan (#2, 4-2)
Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, Tagawa Samurai Archers x2, Frost Giant of Morh

Map: Turret Rockets (Dagmar)

Jonathan got another try against me in the Finals to avenge his Round 3 loss. I also have to say, this isn’t a great tournament map in a lot of matchups. Poor Ninja Status had no chance against my army on this map. Jonathan was better equipped to handle my mobility to the turret rocks. Archers could still attack, Cyprien could fly up there for engagement, and even the Frost Giant could attack someone on the border, or he could jump up to the top with his extra move.

I started off with Rae-GNators-Lizards and managed to ping the Frost Giant for 1 wound who had been moved up in range. J did Archers-Frosty-Archers. I had wanted to get the gorillinators more involved in this game than the others because of how liberally Jonathan used the Samurai Archers in our first game and because of their speed for getting up on the height once they bypassed that crummy water blocker around the heights.
The armies engaged more heavily in the second round, but Fire Line and the Gorillas were cold doing no more damage to the positioning archers although did hit the Frost Giant for his 2nd. Jonathan also sent Cyprien into the fray in this round, reaching Raelin. I hit him for one wound, but it was promptly healed by killing the 1 greenscale I had sent to the top.

I had been worried about that play, but still played as if it wouldn’t happen. Raelin was alone atop the rocks with Cyprien, and only Mimring could reliably hit Cyprien. No way I was going to use monkeys to get 2v5s, so I had to slowly send up greenscales. An archer who had survived the previous round was in a great spot to engage any lizards that came out of the water space around the back way of the turret heights, so I was in real trouble.

The next two rounds were critical. Something that likely saved me was Jonathan only putting 2 Oms on Cyprien on both rounds. Throughout the next 6 turns Mimring repeatedly hit Cyprien with 4 attack while (once he fell off to attack a couple of archer who had moved into a line) while my Greenscales made the long long climb around the back. Cyprien killed another greenscale and killed Raelin, and put a hit on Mimring as well. Eventually though I killed the path blocking Tagawa and got 2 greenscales up to add their might to Mimring’s against the vampire. It was enough after Mimring hit a 4 skull attack and the greenies finished him off around an initiative switch. 2 more order markers on Cyprien would have been huge during those two rounds to either attack Mimring or retreat into my startzone to try and feed off of gorilla meat to heal up and get away from lizards.

The heat wasn’t completely off of me yet though, as the Frost Giant was able to engage Mimring (he took his 3rd wound disengaging from a Gorilla) who was on the border of the turret rocks (had to be to boost Greenies). He hit 4 frenzies in a row for 5 attacks (thankfully all of 4 attack), but heightened Mimring only took 3 wounds (1 life left). The next barrage of mimring on height and greensacles on height finished the Frost Giant and he rolled 0 skulls on Dying Swipe to keep the dragon still alive.

Shotgun Sully still could have been problematic, but Mimring was able to torch him and the rest of the Archers. Shotty had 2 tries to blast Mimring and a Greenscale, but all he did was kill his own Archer that I had engaged. It was a tense final game with the battles between Cyprien and Frost Giant. I won with 1 life Mimring, 4 greenscales, and all the gorillas.

Record: 6-1
Result: Champion, 1st Place

It was a very fun day. I won my 4th NHSD Championship after falling short the last two years. In hindsight, I really liked my decision to go with GS x2, Mimring, and Raelin. I spoke to a couple of people after the tournament who agreed that Gorillas x2 was the best range option to go with using my last 180 points. In practice though, the gorillas were a liability in my round 1 loss, and were never really useful in my 6 wins. I suppose they were a deterrent to vegie’s dad continuing our Round 5 game, and they were minimally useful in the championship game (although if Mimring goes down, I am happy to have them against Jonathan’s remaining Samurai Archers). Not sure what else would have been better to have, although Spiders x2 and Wyvern was the-non range option that I liked the most.

Thanks to everyone who attended and hope to do it all again next year, if not sooner
Old October 20th, 2015, 11:10 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

Standings and Armies (also updated in OP)

Champion: kevindola (4-1, 2-0 playoffs)
Runner Up: Jonathan (4-1, 0-1 playoffs)
3rd Place: Evar-Scarcarver (4-1, 0-1 playoffs)

3-2 Tier (alphabetical)
Jdtenor
Jetjake
Vegietarian18
Vegie’s dad

2-3 Tier (alphabetical)

briaka
Mike
Vminer

1-4 Tier (alphabetical)
Angel
Mario
Ninja Status

Armies
Spoiler Alert!
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:18 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Congrats Kevin!

Glad everyone had a good time. I wish we could have been able to make it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day