Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old September 7th, 2015, 04:24 PM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart
NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2015

NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2015 All is negotiable!
First you must quickly let me know if Saturday, 10/17, is not possible.
Alright, I've copied and pasted last year's info below - changing the date.
Let me know what you guys think about format - the good and the bad.
And please give us an idea of whether you plan on attending, can't make it or just don't know
Thanks!

NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2015
Hello all diehard 'scapers,
Saturday, 10-17-2015, again at my apartment's rec. room at
14960 Sherman Way, Olive Tree Apartments, Van Nuys, 91405.
Hours are 8AM - 11PM. I was told that if necessary we may enter before 8AM.
I have enough tables/chairs for 14 games, so if more than 28 contestants sign-up we'll need more equipment.
Anyone wanting to stay for more gaming after the tournament is more than welcome!
There is a small kitchen for food prep. and storage.
There is a boys' restroom and a girls' restroom.
If you want alcohol, I suggest you wait until after the tournament and bring your own supply.
There is a good deal of parking (do not use the church parking @ Kester intersection) but try and carpool because there is a lot of competition for those spots.

Location: warriorneedsfoodbadly's clubhouse in Van Nuys (map)
Date: Saturday, 10/17
Time: 11:00 AM check-in, 12:00 PM begin play, tournament until 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM (no breaks for food, so bring lunch/snacks!), free play and pizza (not free) afterwards

Rules:
Format: swiss/simple, either 5 matches or 6 if more than 32 people, timed matches (see below), partial scoring, dual army play (see below)
Cost: $7 per contestant for prizes and rental of space.
Armies: 520pts, 24 spaces
May switch to a backup army once, if you have at least one loss, on your third or fourth match.
VC: allowed.
Marvel: not allowed
Glyphs: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=37362
Power Glyphs/Treasure Glyphs:
Random Treasure Glyph pool:

Heroic Rune (+1 attack)
Brooch of Shielding (disengage)
Scarab of invunerability(temp)
Potion of Healing (temp)

Treasure Glyph Traps:

• If you roll a 1–5, you set off the trap. Leave the Treasure Glyph symbol-side
up, roll a battle die - a skull results in unblockable wound on attempting Hero.
• If you roll a 6 or higher, you did not set off the trap, and the figure that
landed on the Treasure Glyph now picks up the Treasure Glyph.

Random Power Glyph pool:

Glyph of Wannok (Wound)
Glyph of Valda (Move +2)
Glyph of Dagmar (Initiative +8 )
Glyph of Kelda (Healer)
Glyph of Gerda (Defense +1)

Must Bring: Your army; army cards; dice; order markers; wound markers; special markers if appropriate.
Can Bring: Snacks/drinks; a contribution to the prize table.

Thanks,
wnfb

New Restricted List
The restricted list is composed of two parts: primary units and filler units. Your army can contain no more than one restricted primary unit, and no more than one restricted filler unit. If a restricted primary unit is common or uncommon, your army may contain multiples of that unit, up to a maximum of 300 points. If a restricted filler unit is common or uncommon, and you want to take multiples of that unit, you must treat it as a restricted primary unit instead.

Restricted Primary Units:
  • Deathreavers (A+)
  • Major Q9 (A+)
  • Raelin - RotV (A+)
  • 4th Massachusetts Line (A)
  • 10th Regiment of Foot (A)
  • Blastatrons (A)
  • Cathar Spearmen (A)
  • Fen Hydra (A)
  • Grimnak (A)
  • Heavy Gruts (A)
  • Knights of Weston (A)
  • Krav Maga Agents (A)
  • Major Q10 (A)
  • Marro Stingers (A)
  • Nilfhiem (A)
  • Quahon (A)
  • Sir Gilbert (A)
  • Vulcanmech Incendiborgs (A)
  • Airborne Elite (A-)
  • Braxas (A-)
  • Cyprien Esenwein (A-)
  • Greenscale Warriors (A-)
  • Kaemon Awa (A-)
  • Krug (A-)
  • Roman Legionnaires (A-)
  • Zelrig (A-)

Restricted Filler List:
  • Isamu (A)
  • Marcu Esenwein (A)
  • Marro Warriors (A)
  • Black Wyrmling (A-)
  • Eldgrim (A-)
  • Me-Burq-Sa (A-)
Will Attend
1. warriorneedsfoodbadly
2. Leotheanimal87
3. Xotli (+1, if necessary)
4,5,6,7. Quillon + 3
8. (post tourney) Detrimentalman

Not Sure

Can't make it
1. hivelord
2. The Silver King
3. RenMan

Confirmed Maps and Makers
1. Sirocco [Xotli]
2. Ticalla Sunrise [warriorneedsfoodbadly]
3. Blackroot [warriorneedsfoodbadly]
4. Sidewinder [Xotli]
5. Bad Moon Rising [warriorneedsfoodbadly]
6. (extra) If you can't take the heat... [Xotli]

Last edited by warriorneedsfoodbadly; October 14th, 2015 at 04:21 PM. Reason: adding mapmakers
Old September 9th, 2015, 12:46 AM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart
Re: NHSD: SoCal Slaughter! 2015

Count me in! My only thing, can we not allow VC? :P I'm still bitter about losing to a VC army last year :/ That's right Xotli I'm looking at you But I'm down for whatever. It's just my 2 cents on the matter. I was also thinking maybe (and this is a crazy idea here) we can base the tournament by only playing with arena of the planeswalkers figures! That's right, THE FIRST EVER ARENA OF THE PLANESWALKERS TOURNAMENT!!!! But then again this is national HEROSCAPE day

“Sometimes when you shout your wishes into the void, the void looks back and smiles” -HMK WELCOME BACK HEROSCAPE! I never stopped believing!
Old September 11th, 2015, 05:22 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotheanimal87 View Post
Count me in! My only thing, can we not allow VC? :P I'm still bitter about losing to a VC army last year :/ That's right Xotli I'm looking at you
Whereas I of course vote we go in the opposite direction and allow Marvel too. Hey, man: you know what my answer is to the VC problem: go and get yourself some VC, baby.

Or at least start taking a look at some of the cards and get familiar with them. To my mind, it's no different from when a new wave came out from Hasbro and you didn't have any yet: you just gotta expect that sooner or later you're gonna run into it in the tourney. I say that without VC, we're always just seeing the same old armies in the tourney every year. Unless we want to get much more creative in our tourney format. Which prospect I've gathered people are even less thrilled about than allowing VC ...

Anywho, I'm in, as is @Quillon (formerly known as SSX). The Smaller Animal is currently waffling, but I expect in the end he'll be there (we could count him as a "maybe" for now, perhaps). As for Quillon's crew, I imagine we'll see a few of them, but I don't have an exact count yet. I will work on that.

We should also probably start talking about maps too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 19th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
We should also probably start talking about maps too ...
Yes, let's.

After perusing the maps from last year, I'm thinking about using Sirocco for our practice map here at home. So that'll be a no-brainer to bring. And, as always, I can bring one (or even two) more map(s). What does everyone else want to bring? I say we plan on at least 5, for now. If it starts looking like we'll have more than 10 folks, we can start talking about additional maps at that point.

Thoughts?

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 26th, 2015, 01:13 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Still trying to pin down @Quillon 's crew. 1 is definite, 2 more are maybe's. Also the White Witch's dad has expressed an interest, but I'm not even counting him as a maybe yet. The Smaller Animal wants to play with me as a team ... I'm trying to talk him out of it, but we'll see. I've updated the OP with what I know so far. (And I threw in Leo, since he sounded pretty definite.)

How about you @hivelord ? And maybe @Detrimentalman ?

Who else can we tag here ... well, just poking back through the SoCal thread:
  • @SipNTheSauce is a newer player who popped in earlier in the year. Are you interested in joining us for the tourney this year, Sip?
  • @WreakLoosE we haven't seen in a while.
  • @michaeltaylor was with us last year ... right? Or was that two years ago ... ?
  • @S1R_ART0R1US we haven't seen for about 3 years, if memory serves.
  • Ditto @GamerHusband .
  • @Counterstrike was our winner last year, as I recall. Surely you're coming back to give us a shot at redemption, my good man!

That's all I see without either reaching back into the mists of time or sending a call down to San Diego. How about it, @Garada ? Feel like making the drive this year?

C'mon people! let's get motivated! I'm pumped up, myself!

We still need to talk about maps, too, but I'll make another pass through on that topic tomorrow.

EDIT: Some of those mentions didn't work. Possibly because people have been inactive too long. But I fixed them anway; hopefully they'll ping the folks after all. Worth a shot, anyway.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; September 26th, 2015 at 01:21 AM. Reason: fixed broken mentions
Old September 26th, 2015, 02:20 AM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's looking like I may end up in Texas that weekend for work. :/ This now the third year in a row I can't make it? Second? Either way, sad.

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old September 28th, 2015, 03:26 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivelord View Post
It's looking like I may end up in Texas that weekend for work. :/ This now the third year in a row I can't make it? Second? Either way, sad.
Third, I believe. Well, any chance things could shake loose for you? or should we put you down for a definite "no"? (And, as always: tell your pop he's always welcome to come even when you can't.)

I finally have definite "yes"es from all of Quillon's crew. Still trying to pin down whether the other father can make it. I will update the top post.

I've so far convinced the Smaller Animal to try playing solo if playing as a team with me would cause us to have an odd number. So I'll put him down under my name with an "if necessary" caveat.

I was going to start talking about maps tonight, but honestly I'm falling asleep in my chair. Long weekend. On the positive side, the Smaller Animal and I got in our first practice game tonight: woohoo! I won, but we're still feeling out strategies, so it's early days yet. I'm trying out a few new VC units that I've not yet played, so I'm going to try to get in as much practice as I can. Hopefully @Quillon will nail down his army soon and we can get a game going as well. Just for you, @Leotheanimal87 : I pledge to post you a link to every VC unit that will be in either a primary or backup army for any player that rides in my car. I won't tell you which unit goes with which army, of course, but I'm willing to let you do a little pre-tourney research to be better prepared on The Day.

Okay, guys, are we getting excited yet?

EDIT: I double-checked the restricted list against the current power rankings. A few A- folks got bumped up to A, so I moved them in the list accordingly, but that doesn't really change anything. One A- got bumped down to a B+: the fire elemental. I don't see any problem with taking them off the restricted list, so I went ahead and did it: please let me know if anyone disagrees. Should be helpful for anyone considering an elemental army at least. There are a few new A-'s on the VC side, but I didn't see anything that really concerned me, so I'm willing to leave that alone for now. (But I'm also willing to throw more units on the list if people would rather do it that way.) The 3 VC A's are unchanged, and there are still no VC A+'s, so I guess we're doing something right there. As always, debate welcomed.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Last edited by Xotli; September 28th, 2015 at 04:06 AM. Reason: update for restricted list changes
Old September 29th, 2015, 04:18 PM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart

I'm probably not going to tourney with VC, but I should be good for playing after the tournament.

I am missing various figures, probably borrowed and never returned. My initials SMT are on the underside of the base on all of my figures, thanks in advance for returning them upon discovery...
Old October 1st, 2015, 03:12 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detrimentalman View Post
I'm probably not going to tourney with VC, but I should be good for playing after the tournament.
Aww, c'mon ... don't be that way. I already said I was going to post every VC unit in any army that travels with me, so you can review them beforehand. As I said to Leo, it's no different from when Hasbro came out with new units, right? Or when Wizards started putting out the D&Dscape units. You just have to prepare for the unexpected.

Besides, a player of your caliber is going to beat me no matter what I have in my army. (Unless I get lucky, as I did last year with Leo ... but luck can happen regardless of army content.) Don't shrink from the challenge, man!

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 3rd, 2015, 06:14 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Okay, finally time to talk about maps. Here's what I posted on the topic last year:
Spoiler Alert!

And here's what we actually ended up with:
Spoiler Alert!

So, first off, I checked, and there are no new BoV maps. Bummer. So the list is the same. And I mostly haven't changed how I feel about the maps, so I personally am good with the same list of 10 (6 primary, 4 alternates) as last year. However, to keep things fresh, I'm going to make a suggested reordering, partially to reflect my desire for something new, and partially just because I'm in a different mood this year. Here would be the 6 and 4 I would suggest for this year:
  1. Sirocco [Xotli]
  2. Ticalla Sunrise
  3. Blackroot
  4. Sidewinder [probably Xotli]
  5. Swamp Thing
  6. If you can't take the heat...

If we need more:
  1. Draugur
  2. Bad Moon Rising
  3. Quasatch Playground
  4. Burial Marsh

Remember: this is just my opinion. I'd love for everyone to pitch in their thoughts. Rearrange my choices, or even go back to the big list and tell me I'm crazy for excluding this or that map. Let's have a dialog.

Also, if people want to start volunteering for maps now, that's cool. I will definitely bring two. More than that, I can't promise.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 4th, 2015, 04:30 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Anyone who's coming (so I guess that means primarily @warriorneedsfoodbadly and @Leotheanimal87 ): one of Quillon's crew needs one more squad of spiders than I have. We don't need the card; just the figures. Would one of you fine gentlemen be so inclined to lend a sister a hand?

If not, I'll help her figure something else out. But I thought I'd ask.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 4th, 2015, 05:25 AM

The Silver King is surprisingly tart

So I am currently 50/50 on going, the main obstacle for me going would be whether or not I have work that day, but since this would be my 1st tournament, I did have some questions.

I don't really get the restricted list, especially the filler unit part. What does a filler unit mean? Is it like having a sidedeck in trading card games, stuff that you can fill out your army with?

Also I barely have the slightest notion of what VC units are, could someone give me a list of them or something? I probably wouldn't be able to read through them all tho, before the tournament day.

As for the prize table, if we are bringing something as a contribution, what does it need to be? I don't have many extra Heroscape figures or pieces, and I think the ones I do have wouldn't make for great prizes (Brunak, Shiori, etc, you know, all the common-ish stuff).

As for the maps, I only have the Marro set, the Master set, and a 99% complete Castle set to contribute to that end, which I don't think would make any of the maps you listed. Would that prevent me from joining the tournament?

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day