Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Index to Excellent Threads and HS Resources

** Note: I have updated this thread - see the INDEX 2.0 for my current work collecting excellent threads for Scapers. **

Due to the number of excellent threads that I keep having to search for again and again, I have decided to make an index of threads I consider excellent or use often (putting it in my sig makes it always easily available to anyone--thanks to Kroc for the inspirational example; everyone is welcome to include it in their sigs as well--availability of information is my goal).

Praise for the Index (mostly included here for kicks and giggles ):

If I were new to this site and wanted to plunge, full force, into the heart of the very best of HeroScapism; the first post in this thread would be the best reading list possible at the moment. - Revdyer

- Cavalier

Whether unfamiliar or versed in the game, The Index is requisite lore for any and every 'Scaper. - Soul Shackle (who also added a useful tinyurl to this thread: http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu)

I welcome suggestions for any significant threads that I may have missed--and I totally understand if you also just skip right over this thread, no need to read it at all. I know that many of these are stickied, but even then I forget which forum it is in (Competitive vs. Official, etc.). If you are giving suggestions, I recommend a PM, that way if I decided not to use it there is no public record .

*This is a continual work in progress*

Heroscape Notebook - Threads for reference (ones that I print and keep in a notebook)

Synergy in Heroscape...Visually - Ryougabot's awesome visual reference to all of HS's synergy--great for army-building
Heroscape Stat Cards - I like these as printed sheets for reference in a notebook; BGG source
Trading Card Sized Cards - These work better as stand-alone, smaller versions; thanks Raudulfr Shieldcrusher
Heroscape Power Rankings - spider_poison's classic and much-debated rankings, with Jexik's color-coding
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners - simple guide to HS by LongHeroscaper
Battlefields of Valhalla (Best of Tournament Maps) - Display - the best of the best for tourney maps; thanks to all involved!
Heroscape Official Scenarios - I love the variants these bring to a game
Points Costs for Individual Wounds/Squad Members - Each unit listed by relative value (for those that use partial points) - thanks boom and Oogie Da Bruce

Other Excellent Reference Threads (but ones I don't usually print out for various reasons--usually just because of the amount or flexibility of data involved)

Sisyphus' Probability Tables
Best use of attacks against squad figures
Heroscape One-on-one matchup calculator
The Definitive List of Definitive Lists
Heroscape Omnibus
Gary's Heroscape Website (and thread on Scapers)
Heroscape on Wikipedia - I'm not a Wikipedia fan, but I've found this to be a decent resource at times
Heroscape Magic Number / Sweet Spot Compilation - excellent work by mccombju
Synergy by Attribute and Synergy by Recipient - two very useful and thorough guides by Killometer

Units

Battleplan: A Heroscape Army Builder (and thread on Scapers)
The Books of Heroscape in PDF
Heroscape Army Builder (and thread on Scapers)
Unit Strategy Review: Index
The BOOKS of Heroscape INDEX
Figure Suggestions for WotC - make your suggestions here; thanks to Kroc for keeping this updated
A Study in HS Unit Genres - thanks to Just_a_Bill for the graphs; update forthcoming
Factions in Review - Dredd Stev analyzes major unit groupings in Heroscape
What Makes a Unit "Bad" - Mr. Migraine examines the so-called bad units of HS (leading to many other Scaper insights)
Master Index of Figure Based Threads - MKSentinel's massive index of threads discussing a broad range of HS units
XXXX Point Army - An index of potentially competitive armies (thanks Killometer)
Heroscape Power Rankings - spider_poison's classic and much-debated rankings, with Jexik's color-coding

Rules

Rules questions to Hasbro
Rulebooks - PDF
The Advanced FAQ - "recommended reading for any scaper" - R˙chean
Hold the Phone!! - a lighter look at rule oversights (thanks, keglo, for giving us Rule-Breakers Anonymous .)
The Reality Regarding Rules Revisions - Aeston's look at rules revisions--and the impact on HS
The Dice-Rolling Magna Carta - funrun's excellent look at fair/fun dice-rolling (not official, but very well done)
The Top 10 Most Frequently Overlooked (yet [ab]used) Rules - Jexik
Clarification on Special Attacks and bonuses - Cavalier

Maps/Terrain

Beyond King of the Hill - Better Map-making (rdhight)
Building a glyph pool - rdhight
Velenne's Map Review Blog - excellent resource
Velenne's Tournament Maps and Fun Scenarios - excellent maps, great resource!
Heroscape Map Database - Eckels' master list of maps
Resource: Terrain sets contents - SoulShackle's remarkable visually enhanced listing of all terrain set contents
Virtualscape - link to download page
VirtualScape for first-time users - LongHeroscaper'svery helpful guide to one of Scapers' best resources
Battlefields of Valhalla (Best of Tournament Maps) - Display - the best of the best for tourney maps; thanks to all involved!
Heroscape Official Scenarios - I love the variants these bring to a game
How to share your maps with the world - LongHeroscaper's excellent intro to sharing your maps
Cartographers of Valhalla - An Index of Mapmakers - Dignan's master index
GenCon Map Contest 2009 - R˙chean's push for more maps for tourney use
The Tournament-Worthy Asymmetric Map Workshop - ollie's move to broaden our map-making

Tournaments (just beginning this section)

Simple PNP Tourney System
- thanks, Grungebob, for an accessible tourney system
Sisyphus' Tournament Director - I haven't used this yet, but hope to (seems to have good reviews)
Tournament Scoring Methods: A Census. - ollie's examination of current tourney scoring practices

Product

List of Heroscape Supplements - Wikipedia's listing of all HS products; so far it seems thorough and accurate
What Should You Get? The Waves Ranked - boosters and sets ratings based on the Rankings (gamjuven)
UPC Bar codes for existing Heroscape sets - for all the collectors out there (thanks, lonewolf and Just_a_Bill)
A List of Heroscape Product's Sizes & Weights (For Shipping) - thanks to cosmosis (and markwars) for this incredible list
A rough Guide to buying Commons - Einar's Puppy offers thoughts on how many of each common to purchase

Strategy Guides

Heroscape Competitive Rules of Thumb
The Injex - Index of all of Jexik's excellent threads, such as What's in an Order Marker
UPC's Excellent Strategy Blog
Strategic Maneuvers/Tips and Tricks Index
Tournament Armies Played
Gencon Championship - Armies Played - thanks to lonewolf for compiling this
The Idiot's Guide to Making a Competitive Army
Competitive Tournament Champion Armies - a must read for the competitive minded player
ARM - Anti-range movement - melee armies of the world unite!
Soul Shackle's Strategy Threads and More - includes low-cost counters to heavy hitters
Shame in using A+ units in tournaments? - an interesting (and somewhat divisive) look at armies at tourneys; thanks, Hogg.
The Breakdown of a Competitive Army - KCU_Master_2007 combines excellent previous threads to rethink army building
Cookie Cutter Army Discussion and Tiers - Jexik

Administrative Threads

DropBox for Site Improvement Ideas
Title Advocacy Thread
Your HSers REPUTATION And You

News

truth's front page blog
Official Wizards Feedback Thread - Take 2 - thanks to bunjee for cleaning things up for us!</SPAN>
(Now Archived) Official Wizards Feedback Thread (Summary pg 1) - also Jexik's useful hub for WotC feedback

Old News

2007 GENCON NEWS
I need help finding photos wave 8 sets - GenCon 2007 and Wave 8 info/links included
A Who's Who to Wave 8 and 8.5 - excellent, easy-to-use guide by HeroscapeLunatic--thanks!

Other Excellent Threads

Embrace the Suck - rdhight's insightful look at units and their worth
HeroScape Color Theory (teekay predicts Aquilla and makes color matter)
Before Heroscape - Aeston's history of HS's genesis</SPAN>
Geek is NOT a Bad Word - A Little Advice on Girls & Scape - Dredd Stev
The Truth about Truth! - some great history on Scape and Scapers--thanks TheMainMan and hextr1p (second page)
My Favorite Games Are The Close Ones - Grungebob
Tournaments Are Fun - Jexik
100% Theoryscape - Sarpedon has begun an insightful look at several aspects of HS
Best Thread List: TheoryScape, MathScape, and The Meta Game - wriggz' own excellent index thread--very nice work!

Wriggz' Compilation of Theory-based Threads:

Army Sweet Spot
Beating the Dice
Mastering the Game
Too Much Common
Luck and Skill
The Importance of HeroScape
Variance and Power- At Odds?
Jokerism: Art of Mindsgames
Heroscape Color Theroy
Thoughts on Competitive Unit Pricing

Game Nights/Family Play

Heroscape Game Night Ideas! - Gomolka's review of ways to spice up a game night
heroscape family - includes family HS suggestions and markwars' famous "sandbox letter"
The Dynamics of a Free-For-All - Dredd Stev offers good advice for FFA game play
Introducing new players - a hub for many links and threads on how to spread the Heroscape virus

Game Variants

Add-Ons Heroscapers Should be Aware of ... - A list of homebrew additions that may just improve the game ...
Quests of Heroscape - Thanks to Teamski, Malechi, & Nether (and markwars for the reminder)
Command Cards - straight to the download page (thanks to jbbnbsmith and Malechi for these)
HeroScape Automated Battle Rules - also a more direct link: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/stilettogames@sbcglobal.net (Thanks to Edge0001 for these--fun and flexible! We use them for team play against an enemy force.) (Update: Here is a local link on Scapers.)

The Draft

I need an easier way to draft... (Soul Shackle)
Custom Drafting Rules (Low Point Rule) (Xotli) - not a long thread, but good ideas
Draft/Counter Draft (cavie)
Draft Tourney..... (Alastair MacDirk)
The Surprisingly Tart HeroScape Draft Wizard (netherspirit/Reqman) - discussion thread
My Way of Drafting (Cleon--thanks Necro for mentioning it)
Heroscape Game Night Ideas! - Gomolka's thread includes lots of great drafting options
Counter-Drafting Notes (rdhight)
Reinvigorating the Draft - (1Mmirg) comments welcome

Storage

Hahn and Bunjee's Stanley vs. Plano Smackdown - the greatest battle of storage ideas ever
Storing the Jungle? - what to do with these new pieces (thanks Finrod for getting the thread started)
nether's - Stickers, etc (PG13) - lots of goodies in here (thanks nether!)
Cavalier's Storage Labels - just what it says
Card storage? - ideas for keeping your army cards safe and sorted
Card protectors? - I've seen several of theses (and use them myself)--very nice way to keep your cards safe
Portable Storage for Large Collections - thanks Blue Dane (and others) for sharing
Just_a_Bill's RotV-box Heroscape Collection Storage System - great way to re-use all those Master's set boxes
Spider Box Posse (aka New Tourney Box) - Onacara's wonder
Storing Figurines - lots of players share their ideas in this thread

For Fun

The Adventures of Chedwick and Sven Comics
- hilarious, simply hilarious
TSA..Toy Sneaking Anonymous - all too true...
Chiefs Easter - no comment needed
Extreme Map Builders: Post Your Monsters Here - inspirational (and sometimes insane)
Dr. Weirdscape's unparalleled maps - simply amazing (though nothing simple about these...)
Character Battle- Main Thread - a great idea and often insightful
Heroscape Figure Count - nobody is really keeping track, are they? (Killometer has got this going again--thanks!)
Remarkable Post Counts - thanks to Rev for giving us a way to memorialize our significant post cost moments
Heroscape Party Fouls - Velenne's guide to not-so-official rules
Heroic Relationships - Soul Shackle's compendium of units' relations to one another
Origins of HS Names - nice compilation of character name origins
A Heroscaper's Bucket List - thanks to Dredd Stev
Ask Papa-'Scape - thanks for the laughs, Rev!
Your MBTI personality and the Heroscape effect - Myrkidia Giant incorporates MBTI to HS (Field Marshalls Unite!)
Academics Anonymous on Scapers: Editorial Board for JoHS - meeting of the nerds
Dragonslayer's MOAM - about as funny as HS can get--excellent stuff in here!
Mooseman's Heroscape Photos - best of the best
Unit Battle Royale 2009 - a fun contest that offers an insightful glimpse at unit popularity (and a bit more)

Customs/Repaints (I know little about this aspect of the game, so any suggestions here are welcome; these are a few that I have used. I'd love to get the link to the Castle repaint/wash cover article that was done a long while back for example. I didn't put in the excellent Custom stickied threads, because these are easy to find and I never forget where they are .)
Index Thread: How-to's/Recognition for Custom Creations - thanks to bunjee and funrun
funrun's HS Repaints - includes exclusives
Rocktroll's excellent Exclusive Figures Repaints - A How-To Guide to all
Come here if you want to paint your own GenCon exc. and EOV - includes links to the exclusive cards (& Basic sides)
Beginner's Painting Tutorial
whitestuff's advanced gimpshop tutorial
Heroscape Blank Cards and Symbols - thanks netherspirit and Doc Savage
Grishnakh's Custom Terrain - arguably the best of the best
Ren's Terrain Mods/Tutorials - Renquist's guide to some terrain mods (some pretty stuff in here)
Raudulfr's Custom Terrain - (this exact link is to his dice tower tutorial, so I can find it again, but the whole thread is great)
Repainting the Castle - tips from Grungebob and others (a more conversational tutorial)
sportcult's custom terrain - unbelievable
Comics Customs Creators Guild - the C3G - a new look at supers in Scape
Mercenary Map Makers Guild - M3G - super maps

Netiquette & Scapers Online

Forum Conduct Please Read
- Heroscaper's Official Guidelines for Participation (GrungeBob)
Smart Mouth Responses to Innocent Questions - GrungeBob: "How is my response helping the community?"
Scapers and Your Safe Internet Experience - ninthdoc: "use common sense"
The right way to enter Scapers! - Shades fan's intro to how to join Scapers in a positive way
Welcome aboard! - Aldin's welcome to new members, includes overview of site and resources
If you happen to want my respect (or rep) here - Revdyer (brief but excellent comments--a must read, I believe)
An Open Letter to "Help Me Build an Army" Threads - Nooblargives good advice for using Scape to build an army
Meet Other Scapers Index - Zorgophlats' helps you get started meeting new players near you
Positive, Productive Posting - my own thoughts on making our posts more valuable and meaningful
Poll-ution - Onacara talks about the ins and outs of polls (read before making a poll, please!)
Better Posting and You Revisited - Miniature Geek's we-wish-it-were-just-humorous take on posting (if you TXT, please read it)
NOTE: Before Posting Your Question... - Soul Shackle's excellent FAQ for new Scapers (read it before posting a question)
Noobs and You - Dredd Stev insightful look at how we treat new members here at Scapers
Scaper of the Week - Index - Thanks, H_e_H for putting this great idea together

Local Ones (feel free to ignore these if you aren't in FL )

FLORIDA organization
South Florida Game Days

Mine

Reinvigorating the Draft - additions, comments, suggestions welcome
A Study in HS Unit Genres - thanks to Just_a_Bill for the graphs; update forthcoming (someday...--Yeah it happened!)
Genres in Heroscape: A Study Revisited - finally updated my look at genres; your insights are welcome
The Index - you're reading it ... (with tinyurl now, thanks to Soul Shackle: http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu)
Academics Anonymous on Scapers: Editorial Board for JoHS</SPAN>
Introducing new players - a hub for many links and threads on how to spread the Heroscape virus
Positive, Productive Posting - my thoughts on making our posts at Scapers more valuable and meaningful
Mmirg's Moderately Marvelous Maps - my map thread

Need a plasticrack fix?

HouseMouseGames.com
HabroToyShop.com
Current HasbroToyShop.com Promo Code and an excellent offsite source as well (thanks lothar42)
War Gamers Headquarters - direct link to Heroscape section; main site: wargamersheadquarters.com
Online Shopping Guide - awesome resource, thanks Billtog!
FLAGS - great compilation of HS-friendly local gameshops (thanks, Shades fan)
Heroscape Price List - Jay Cain brings order to online HS shopping

Main Sites

Wizards.com - and the store finder link (find store, start a gaming group--a recipe for fun--cf. here as well)
Heroscape.com

Last edited by 1Mmirg; May 4th, 2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Just trying to get it all in :D

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online