Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old September 20th, 2016, 05:12 PM

Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker
Recommend Me Some Units?

Hello all, I am looking for some advice/input from the community about which Heroscape squads/heroes I should get next as a I expand my collection.

As I live in England, I've never been able to find a tournament, so I'm not after the most powerful and competitive units. Instead I should like some recommendations of units that bring something to a casual fun environment.

I'm also looking to introduce more people I know to the game, so units that have a cool sculpt and easy to understand rules would be great (or anything you think might grab the attention of people who've never played Heroscape)

My current collection is 1X ROTV 1X SOTM and 1X Heroes of Laur so anything that provides synergy to that would be great, particularly if it'll bring out some of the lesser used figures in the game.

Oh, and shipping charges to the UK tend to be quite high, so the cheaper the unit's normal cost is the better!

Please say what units you'd recommend and why, thanks

The only Heroscaper in England.*
Prove me wrong.

*(Except for Lazy Orang)
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:58 PM
The Animator

JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Recommend Me Some Units?

I would suggest wave 1 packs, no heroscape is cheap anymore but the wave 1 packs were re-released shortly before heroscape was canceled so are in greater supply than some others (looking at you Aquilla's alliance). The Arrow gruts bond with the dragon in the base set for a fun little thematic army (smuag and goblins!) Venocs are high risk high reward units that are sure to turn some heads, and the Romans are all around solid and can bond with Ne-gok-sa from the base set.

just my 2 pennies.

Come check out my heroscape .gif Images.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30039
Old September 21st, 2016, 03:23 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Along with what JairEmia suggested, I would also try to find heroes that are relatively cheap but are incredibly fun. Figures like Cyprien are really fun and exciting to play with and against, and he and is wife are not too pricey! Some of the DnD stuff is cool as well, like the Fen Hydra.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old September 21st, 2016, 03:30 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Damn, it's Jairemia! Welcome back!

Oman, have a look around. Take your time. Figure out what interests you and get that. If you decide you like a common squad, get several of them. If you get a chance to get some units at a good price, don't pass up that opportunity just because you're not sure if you like them. "See Scape, buy Scape," is what we used to say, back in the old days.

Don't worry about what's "competitive." It's all fun. And it's almost all competitive, in the right context.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:41 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

I've found that collecting classic/fun heroes can be fun! (Figures such as Jotun, Braxas, Cyprien, Fen Hydra, Kaemon Awa, Krug, etc) I feel that each can bring new, unique, and exciting element into your game for less then buying whole sets! This is what I have done, and it has SERIOUSLY improved tons of games! That's my piece... @Oman1666

H E R O S C A P E
Old September 22nd, 2016, 02:01 PM

Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker

Thanks for all the responses so far everyone, it's been a real help.

I was also wondering, would you recommend buying figures in 'batches' for example The Roman Legos, Roman Archers and Marcus or in more of a random hodge-podge (e.g., getting 1 squad of orc gruts, the knights of weston and a Hydra just because I think they are cool).

I think the former might lead to better army builds, but the latter a more interesting range of sculpts which might be more appealing to new players. Which do you think is more important for casual play and getting people who've never played involved?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Prove me wrong.

*(Except for Lazy Orang)
Old September 22nd, 2016, 02:12 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I think, given the choice, it's better to get several squads of one common squad than to get one of each of a few different ones. It's not about making "better" or more competitive army builds, it's about having the experience of playing with common squads. If you only have one, or even two, you are missing out on one of the significant features of the game, which is playing with common squads. Without them, you don't have armies.

That said, do what you want. And when you get a chance to get some and the price is right, just get it. And the Roman Archers are awful.

= =
Old September 22nd, 2016, 03:05 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Don't worry about what's "competitive." It's all fun. And it's almost all competitive, in the right context.
Good job you put in almost - we don't want Mr. Taro getting ahead of himself.

Honestly, I kind of would worry about that, almost in inverse. With your present collection, I'd imagine you'd need to ban the Greenscales if you got them - them with Charos would annihilate everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I think, given the choice, it's better to get several squads of one common squad than to get one of each of a few different ones. It's not about making "better" or more competitive army builds, it's about having the experience of playing with common squads. If you only have one, or even two, you are missing out on one of the significant features of the game, which is playing with common squads. Without them, you don't have armies.
I'd say you can get away with two of some squads (most of the kyrie, knights I only have one of and that's fine, I specifically kept to only 2 squads of Heavy Gruts to make them feel like the elite of the grut armies as opposed to the Blade Gruts, etc.), but some you definitely want three plus - it's a case by case basis. Honestly, despite having several sets of two, the only squad I really wished I had more of at this stage is the Marro Drones that I have three of. Case by case, as I said.

In addition to what others have said, I'd recommend trying to proxy those figures you can't get (knights, for example, were like gold dust last I checked, but great to have and probably not too hard to proxy). I'd also look at getting into customs, particularly 'official' customs (yes, I know that's an oxymoron, just work with me here!) C3V and SoV took over the classic mantle upon discontinuation, and are pretty damn good (check out the Zettian Infantry in particular, seeing as you have the two decent Deathwalkers), and their units should generally be easier to find than most official ones. Also brilliant is C3G - even if you're not into superheroes, that's an amazing game right there - hell it got me into superheroes, which I'd previously (to my shame) assumed were just juvenile.

~ Lazy Orang, proving Oman1666 wrong.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old September 22nd, 2016, 04:23 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here is a good thread that might help you.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 05:23 PM
The Animator

JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby!

I don't know if Auggies provides international shipping but he has a few neat squads and heros in stock right now, and his prices are always the best your going to find.

http://www.auggiesgamestore.com/cata...engeance/93895

http://www.auggiesgamestore.com/cata...ars_rage/93906

http://www.auggiesgamestore.com/cata...ars_rage/93903

http://www.auggiesgamestore.com/cata...ars_rage/93904

The Marro drones are actually pretty rare, I don't expect them to be in stock long.

Good luck!

Come check out my heroscape .gif Images.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30039
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:16 AM

Thanks for all the continued help everyone, those Auggiegamestore links look a lot cheaper than Ebay (if they do international shipping for less than £20)

To take this thread in a slightly different direction... I routinely play with two other people and was wondering if anyone had some unit suggestions that might appeal to them directly. (After all, I love everything Heroscape, their the ones I have to convince to play with me)

My first player always seems to choose the same few units: the Izumi Samurai, Tarn Viking Warriors and Agent Carr are main-stays of his, with FINN THE VIKING CHAMPION reigning supreme above all others (due to the stupidest injoke I've ever had to endure.), I suspect also that after wiping out nearly my entire army in 1 round with them, he'll be using the Airborne Elite a lot more.

My second player favours high defence, high range units that she can keep at the back, in particular she is fond of Deathwalker 8000 the Krav Maga Agents. She's also a big history buff, so historically themed units are certain to draw her eye.

What units do you think these two might enjoy, and if I want to finally defeat them on the battlefield, which units should I craftily buy and not tell them about during the draft? :P

Prove me wrong.

*(Except for Lazy Orang)
Old September 23rd, 2016, 09:44 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Show them the options and ask their opinions?

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units