Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker
Re: What board game brings out the worst in you?

I'm completely ruthless in Killer Bunnies. I don't care if I win in that game although it's always an added plus. No, my main objective in that game is to kill/steal as many bunnies as I can and with some of the cards in that deck, it can be pretty easy to start the bunny massacre.

Creator of Nowdays.
Old February 25th, 2012, 04:24 AM

CanScape has disabled reputation

One word:

RISK

...this is the game that makes friends enemies, brothers never speak to one another again, sets the stage for what could be the greatest or worst victory or defeat...it's pure evil in a box. I don't even like Risk for many reasons, but mainly because it was the first game that I played with others and saw how ruthless, childish and downright inhuman it could be. It speaks more about the players, of course, because there were times (very, very few) that we had a fun group, those who would laugh about the dice, the backstabbing, the balance of power switching back and forth...

...but our games usually almost always had 'that GUY' who would get too competitive, take something the wrong way...that guy who would actually get angry over a game of plastic and dice. The most confusing was that usually 'that guy' was the most mild mannered dude outside of a game of Risk! Not all, of course, but most.

Risk. Sigh. You just never saw anybody get 'that' worked up over a game of Axis and Allies, but Risk?...every time, I just waited for 'the moment'...lol. I actually have photos of some games where 'that moment' occurred, and the look on 'that guy' is always one of pure evil.

And usually 'that guy' never won, but when he did, one would be treated to a display of pompous "I AM THE BEST" the likes of which couldn't be easily matched.

RISK...can't say I much like it.
Old February 25th, 2012, 09:55 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Guess its all in how you take it. After learning and owning the game as a 12 year old (or so), my mother would ask me:

"Why do you tell your friends all your tricks when you play?"

"Well, its no fun beating others who don't know how to play as well as I do."
Old February 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
An a different note of "worst in me", on new years with a few drinks in us around 1-3 am, some friends played a game... Categories were things like "What shouldn't you do in a graveyard" or "What girls talk about in the bathroom together". With some of my friends, this got very vulgur very quickly...
With lead-ins like that it sounds to me like that game was asking for it. While you're not talking about poor sportsmanship, I know exactly what you mean about bringing your character to a new low. There's a certain depravity that these "clever-response" games (esp. with alcohol) can lead to. As long as everyone is having fun (and not easily offended) then I say "game on.
We played a game a while back called "Wise and Otherwise" where the objective is to take the first half of a random cultural (e.g., Nigerian, Estonian) maxim and provide a plausible second half. The first few rounds we played it straight and it was mundane and largely forgettable. Then about round three the clue was "In still waters..." and I wrote "poop floats." After that we voted on the funniest instead of the most plausible and the game quickly went downhill in an awesome, deliciously immature way.
I played a game a couple weeks ago called Cards Against Humanity. It's a free-for-download print-and-play game that bills itself as a "Party Game for Horrible People." Be warned, it's sort of a depraved version of Apples to Apples.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanScape View Post
One word:

RISK

...this is the game that makes friends enemies, brothers never speak to one another again, sets the stage for what could be the greatest or worst victory or defeat...it's pure evil in a box.
Classic Risk is a great game for its simplicity, but it doesn't age well against newer, balanced wargames. I'd much rather play Runewars where the game is capped at 24 seasons and gives multiple ways to win. Still- Risk has an intuitive charm that lets just about anyone sit down and give it a go. There's no question, though, that Risk is in the "Friendship Destroying Hall of Fame," right between "Remember that Money You Owe Me?" and "Hooking up with my Ex Girlfriend."

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:33 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanScape View Post
One word:

RISK

...this is the game that makes friends enemies, brothers never speak to one another again, sets the stage for what could be the greatest or worst victory or defeat...it's pure evil in a box.
I've had many sessions over the years in which a game of RISK results in someone throwing dice (or even flipping the board!).

And/But...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
Classic Risk is a great game for its simplicity..........Risk has an intuitive charm that lets just about anyone sit down and give it a go. There's no question, though, that Risk is in the "Friendship Destroying Hall of Fame," right between "Remember that Money You Owe Me?" and "Hooking up with my Ex Girlfriend."
So, RISK, while being the bane of many friendly game nights, endures. After all, if you learn to love to hate a game, that at least means that you've taken the time to play it. And for some reason, mine and I keep coming back for more!

However, the game that brings out the worst in me is either Scrabble (at which only one of my friends puts up a good enough fight for satisfaction) or Star Wars:Epic Duels (at which I went 13-0 one night, but still refused to give up Obi-Wan's deck).

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games