Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 28th, 2009, 12:26 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!
Wink Tutorial:Nintendo DS Map Archiving for HeroScape (also DSi)

There was a discussion in another thread about using ebook readers to archive HS maps and that got me on a tangent of how many different HS things one might be able to on a NDS (or DSi). Anyway, after showing off a bit I was asked how this was possible so here's a tutorial:

How to Use a Nintendo DS (or DSi) to Store and View HS Map Designs

Difficulty Level:Intermediate/easy (you need to be able to install software, troubleshoot compatibility issues and modify settings to your system).

Hardware required: Nintendo DS, Internet connected computer, an NDS flash kit (I recommend an Acekard2 with an 8G Japan Kingston sdmicro). For working with the DSi the only difference is that you will need to obtain a DSi compatible cartridge. At the time of this writing, substituting the Acekard2 for an Acekard2i ($10 more or so) works just fine.

Software Required (all legally free to download): ComicBookDS, PictoDS, Ghostscrpit, Heroscape map pdfs.

Time required: If you have all the hardware, 1.5 hrs.

Ok, here we go!

Get hardware

Step 1: Secure access to an internet capable computer. Congrats! You have completed step one!

Step 2: Aquire a Nintendo Dual Screen. Owners of an NDS may call the number on the back with their serial number and purchase factory certified refurbished units for $90 with a year warranty.

Step 3: Get yourself a flash kit. I recommend doing a bit of research first, then check out "dealextreme"s deal on Acekard 2's. Your full development kit must include the cartridge, the storage medium (usually a microsd card that pops out of the back (8g or more) and a way to transfer data from a computer to the microsd card (usually included in the kit but not always).

Get and manipulate PC Software

Step 4: Download Comic Book DS from http://cbds.free.fr/Softwares/ComicBookDS/?language=en to your hard drive and unzip.

Step 5: Download and Install on your PC gs863w32.exe (ghostscript installer) from http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/GPL/gpl863.htm or anywhere else. This will be used by pictoDS as the PDF to JPG component (because there is no really good PDF viewer for the NDS)

Step 6: Download and install PictoDS from http://cbds.free.fr/Softwares/PictoDS/?language=en this program will use GS to convert PDF files to the CBDS format to be used on your DS cart.

Step 7: Download however many HS maps as you like, in PDF form from Heroscapers, to somewhere on your harddrive .

Step 8:Configure PictoDS (arguably the hardest software step). Under options/path settings Copy the following to your "pdf to jpg" line: "c:\Program Files\gs\gs8.63\bin\gswin32c.exe" -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=jpeg -r300 -sOutputFile="%outputdirectoryname/image%d.jpg" "%filename" Make sure that your Ghostscript actually exists. Also make sure the right destination folder is selected so you can find your finished product.

Step 9: Within PictoDS select and convert your HS maps from PDF to CBDS.

Step 10: Copy all CBDS files (your HS maps)to the CBDS system folder present wherever you unzipped ComicBookDS. You can at this point organize into subfolders all of your maps. Just remember, ComicBookDS will only look into folders and subfolders within the CBDS system folder for the files. You cannot store them on the root of the card or in a folder not within the CBDS folder.

Prep your SDMICRO card.

Step 11: You must format your microSD card by connecting it to your computer with whatever device your kit comes with and then copy onto it all the system files appropriate to your cartridge. Do a google search (or check guides on GBAtemp) for your cart to make sure you are putting th appropriate files.

Step 12: Copy the ComicbookDS.nds file(or alternate appropriate file) and the CBDS system folder (which has all your maps in CBDS format) to your carts root on your microsd card.

Step 13: Remove your microSD card from your comp, put it in the cart, and put your cart in the DS.

Step 14: Enjoy.

Final notes: A DSi updates itself automatically when connected to the internet. There may come a time when the AKi no longer works with the DSi.

Also, I do not and nor should anyone support the theft of intellectual property. Downloading games fow which you have not been given permission to do so by the publisher, owner or author constitutes as piracy and means that you are taking something that someone worked long and hard at to earn money to eat with. Not cool. Smiley says please don't do that.

Also, this process works for HSCodex, Game rule books, "Books of HeroScape" in pdf form, HeroScape Comic book and anything else HS related that you have in PDF. Have fun!

Last edited by DrRansom; April 6th, 2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added info for the DSi
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Tutorial: Heroscape Map Archiving on Nintendo DS

^This looks like a great program. I need to get me one of those homebrew devices.

Might I ask what other things it can do, aside from running games/Action Replay programs? Can the DS play video files with its better 67 mhz (the other being 33mhz) processor? How about a Word Processor, web browser, and audio player? If this can turn the DS into a mini laptop, then I'd say its pretty sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:53 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Here is how I am gooing to do this...

1-Get all the hardware
2-Bring it to Dr Ransom to do the rest.
3-Play Heroscape with him and let him win
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:31 AM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

1-Get all the hardware
2-Bring it to Dr Ransom to do the rest.
3-Play Heroscape with him and let him win
Hahah.. And SOLD to the gentlemen with the proper perspective on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Might I ask what other things it can do, aside from running games/Action Replay programs? Can the DS play video files with its better 67 mhz (the other being 33mhz) processor? How about a Word Processor, web browser, and audio player? If this can turn the DS into a mini laptop, then I'd say its pretty sweet.
Oh yeah, check out this thread: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=23795 The DS can be turned into an Ipod Touch, a video player, a web browser, even a VOIP phone (though it doesn't work well as that).
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Where can I buy an acekard?

-Vitm

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet

Last edited by Vydar_XLIII; March 2nd, 2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar is the man View Post
Where can I buy an acekard?

-Vitm
Google "DealExtreme", it's less than $12.
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM

I need help. I'd like to take all of the BoV pdfs and turn them into CBDS files.

CBDS has a wifi download option whereby you can download a number of freely available pdf's (in CBDS format) straight to your DS. I would like to do this with whatever HS maps I can but would anyone know how I would go about getting permission to upload our pdf's (in CBDS form) to this third party server?
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sweet. Another awesome use for my already awesome DS... plusrep (My cell doesn't have a plus sign on it. )

Sup3rS0n1c = Alexander the Great (August Cave) = Siege (Floating Archipelago)
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rS0n1c View Post
Sweet. Another awesome use for my already awesome DS... plusrep (My cell doesn't have a plus sign on it. )
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Bring it to Dr Ransom to do the rest...
This post got me thinking. Following the above steps may be a difficult process for some. For me it's pretty easy, especially since I'm familliar with the stuff. I could do this for Heroscape Trade if anyone was interested. I mean, I wouldn't want to do it for money but it would be a fun way of helping out fellow HSers and getting more into HS myself.

If anyone's interested, post in the other thread. I've got a worklog of sorts that I am going to do to my own cart and I could use that for the basis of figuring out what folks would want to trade for. Obviously I wouldn't include any copywrited materials that weren't freely available online but I could include anyone's favorite maps or HS related docs.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...919#post767919

Thoughts?
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

How did I miss this? + rep sir!

DWARVES!
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:07 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Tutorial:Nintendo DS Map Archiving for HeroScape

Can you view a PDF of other things using this program, like the official rulebooks? And can you view the map's rules?

-Vitm

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Re: Tutorial:Nintendo DS Map Archiving for HeroScape

Yes. As a matter of fact currently on my DS I have every HS rule book, official FAQ, the PDF version of the "Books" strategy articles from this website, all the BOV maps but one (having trouble with one for some reason), every issue of HS comic, every issue of the Codex and some other things.

If anyone attempts to duplicate the above, the process works with nearly 99% of all pdf docs. You just have to have the up-to-date version of everything.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios