Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old September 10th, 2009, 06:01 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker
Re: Colorado NHSD map thread

[/quote]The glyphs are the only low points in the middle, so anyone on the glyphs is giving up +1 attack to anyone attacking them. Still, I'm OK with taking out the glyphs and putting an extra sand double-hexer on those spots to make them level, like lafleurhero suggested earlier.

It will only take 1 squad per glyph to hold it for about 2 rounds. And a +1 attack vs a +1 attack for all common or what ever the case may be is kinda an unfair trade off. But of course thats a little of the point of glyphs but it is still really advantagous for the person on the glyph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralRolando View Post
Swamp Helix 7.1 (this one got bumped down for me because when it comes to flying close combat figures its plain man slaughter for the person who decided to try and take the highground first. 1 army type will win most battles on this.)
I'm not sure exactly what sort of army you're referring to. Flying close combat figures... are you saying that Minions will dominate this map? Give me a sample 500ish army build that you think would be dominant on this map.

I've tested this map a ton, and I haven't found that either range or flying dominates. The presence of the wind glyph balances things out a lot when it comes to flyers. Range does well, but melee figures can close the gap really quickly once they get up top thanks to the road bonus and the move glyph.
-Lauferhero

I see what you mean but it still focuses on only a few types of armys. I guess it at least deserves a 6.

-GR-

Deathreacers should be banned!
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Still struggling a bit with the quote tags, are we?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
The glyphs are the only low points in the middle, so anyone on the glyphs is giving up +1 attack to anyone attacking them. Still, I'm OK with taking out the glyphs and putting an extra sand double-hexer on those spots to make them level, like lafleurhero suggested earlier.
It will only take 1 squad per glyph to hold it for about 2 rounds. And a +1 attack vs a +1 attack for all common or what ever the case may be is kinda an unfair trade off. But of course thats a little of the point of glyphs but it is still really advantagous for the person on the glyph.
Well, we're not using common attack +1. Of course you're correct that holding the glyph is an advantage; I'm just noting that the figure holding it is vulnerable.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok
Quote:
Swamp Helix 7.1 (this one got bumped down for me because when it comes to flying close combat figures its plain man slaughter for the person who decided to try and take the highground first. 1 army type will win most battles on this.)
I'm not sure exactly what sort of army you're referring to. Flying close combat figures... are you saying that Minions will dominate this map? Give me a sample 500ish army build that you think would be dominant on this map.

I've tested this map a ton, and I haven't found that either range or flying dominates. The presence of the wind glyph balances things out a lot when it comes to flyers. Range does well, but melee figures can close the gap really quickly once they get up top thanks to the road bonus and the move glyph.
I see what you mean but it still focuses on only a few types of armys. I guess it at least deserves a 6.
Again, I'm not sure what types of armies you mean.

I wasn't disputing the rating of 5. If the map doesn't excite you, you could rate it a 3, as I defined the scale, without saying anything bad about it. 3 just means you don't feel like using the map; it doesn't mean the map is bad.

So, I'm not arguing the rating you gave the map. I'm arguing the side comment you made. I think the map works well for a pretty wide range of armies.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:15 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Still struggling a bit with the quote tags, are we?

I wasn't disputing the rating of 5. If the map doesn't excite you, you could rate it a 3, as I defined the scale, without saying anything bad about it. 3 just means you don't feel like using the map; it doesn't mean the map is bad.

So, I'm not arguing the rating you gave the map. I'm arguing the side comment you made. I think the map works well for a pretty wide range of armies.
I get you. I guess it's true I havn't played o it to the extent you have. But yeah it's just not my first choice.

And yes... I am struggling with quote tags. GRRR. sometimes they really annoy me. Plus i'm tired today. Lol^^

-GR-

Old September 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Elginb has disabled reputation

This is the main thing I want with maps: every hex on the board should be accessible to every figure in the game, such that any given figure can either occupy any space or at least engage a figure on any space.

I hate to play a game in which, say, a Deathstalker has literally no means by which to attack Syvarris without sitting back and hoping he comes closer-- that just makes for a boring and frustrating game, or simply discourages the use of shorter, double-spaced figures.

Here are my rankings, below. I haven't had a chance to play on most of them, so outside of the bias I stated above, I'm choosing mostly on aesthetic grounds. Also, some the the maps mentioned on this thread I haven't been able to get a good look at, so I omitted them from my rankings. Here goes:

7 - Fulcrum,

6 - Mayan Ruins, What a nice Park, Can't See the Jungle, Common Ground

5 - Highways and Dieways, Swarm Edition, Swamp Helix 7.1

4 - Katsuno Land, Forsaken Swamp, Radiator Springs, Halfway up the Downs 2.3, Flash Fire, Inbetweener, Molten Stronghold

3 - Hot Meal, Overseer,

2 - Stroll Through the Park SV1, Winter Holdout, Badru Valley

1 - Broken Skyline, Castle Rivers

7 stars: I'm really excited to play on the map. If I could only pick two or three maps, this would be one of them.
6 stars: I'm excited to play on the map. If I were picking all the maps (~8 regular maps and ~2 HoB maps) on my own, this would be one of the maps we'd use.
5 stars: I'm happy to use the map. It's not one of my top picks, but I like it.
4 stars: I'm not really excited about this map, but it's a good map and I'm fine with us using it.
3 stars: I don't like this map. There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't really want to play on it. If other people like it that's fine, I guess.

2 stars: I think this map has some issues that could make it boring/annoying to play on, or unfair/broken for certain figures or matchups. I vote no on this map.
1 star: I think this map is seriously flawed. If I end up playing on it, I'm probably going to be grumbling to myself the whole time. I vote a strong no on this map.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

OK, some preliminary conclusions.

First, I say we throw out anything that anyone gave a 2 or a 1 to. We have plenty of agreeable options so there's no point in making anyone unhappy. So Stroll Through the Park SV1, Winter Holdout, Badru Valley, Broken Skyline, Castle Rivers, and Sand Barrage are out.

Second, Can't See the Jungle and Common Ground have been a 6 or higher for all three people that have rated. They're in. That's 2 RotV and 2 TJ spoken for, for those keeping count.

Third, HoB modifications. Let's assume that if Halfway up the Downs is chosen, only thee glyphs (Move, range, Initiative) will be used, and if Molten stronghold is used, the standard startzones will be removed or drastically cut in size.

Sound good?
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation

So far, so good.
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Sounds good to me. what about the 3-5s? are we just gonna decide on those later?

Old September 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM

I have a new nomination.

http://tyrantsdream.com/yahoo_site_a...y.64122030.pdf

Old September 11th, 2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Sounds good to me. what about the 3-5s? are we just gonna decide on those later?
Yeah, no sense in trying to shake everything out right now. Let's get lafleurhero's feedback and kick it around a bit more.

I'd rate Molten Alley a 3. It's a decent map but the large size and lack of LOS blockers makes it a bit of a shooting gallery.
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM

yeah it is pretty large. We could always throw some more ruins on it.

Old September 12th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here is finally completed a map proposition for heat of battle event. I didn't get the other map completed in time so I'm going to drop that one. I will get my ratings on each proposed map, divided by HOB and normal maps on my next post, sometime today. I guess I lost my site supporter status so I can't upload the build instructions to the database. I might get that renewed sometime soon. For now if anyone sends me an email I can send it through that.

Thats a +1 defense glyph in the center. I tried painting it in but it's hard to see. it uses two SOTM sets as well as a few extra double snow tiles for stability, only visible from the outside of the map. Also a few extra double sand tiles.

Some things I aimed for in this map. Since HOB favors melee units, I looked to add some advantage with ranged without adding too much. there are only two spots where a range of 7 can reach even the outsice of that island, in order for ranged to really reach it, they have to go down to a less high spot. I tried to leave a lot more to think about on placement than the standard "take the high ground" aproach, the highest spots aren't always the best on this one.

Another feature is that all exposed land of the same height is the same type of terrain. This is something I like to do on my maps to make it so much easier to see who has height or if they are even.

Last edited by Cyborgs Gaming; September 14th, 2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added some comments about the map
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just going to Edit Dok's message with my posts in purple

Maps that are accepted for use are bolded. Maps that are dropped from consideration are struck out.

7 stars
Highways and Dieways, Swarm Edition 6 with sand tiles, 4 with glyphs
Swamp Helix 7.1 5

6 stars
Molten Stronghold (HoB) 2
Halfway Up the Downs (HoB) 5
Can't See the Jungle 7
Common Ground 4
Hot Meal 2
Katsuno Land 3
Stroll Through the Park 4
Overseer 1

5 stars
Radiator Springs (HoB) 3
Winter Holdout (HoB) 4
Fulcrum 5
Forsaken Swamp 6

4 stars
Mayan Ruins 6
Badru Valley 5
Flash Fire 4
Broken Skyline 4

3 stars
What a nice Park 5
Molten Alley 4

2 stars
Sand Barrage 2

1 star
Castle Rivers[/quote] 1

Added:
Rumblebowl (HOB) - 6

So with my picks. I think it's fair to say that Hiways and Dieways are official now with sand tiles in place of glyphs. Also Mayan Ruins and Forsaken Swamp seem to be in. The only HOB map that seems pretty solid is Halfway up the Downs, but hopefully you all like mine.

With my high votes in two eliminated that others also seem to like, maybe they should be reconcidered. Badru Valley, Winter holdout (HOB), and Stroll through the park. I think we can safely eliminate Raidiator springs (HOB), and I really do not like Overseer; Syvaris or the agents will dominate that map

So winners are Hiways and Dieways, Can't see the Jungle, Common grounds, Mayan Ruins, Forsaken Swamp, and Halfway up the Downs (HOB)

Two or tree more normal maps and one or two more HOB maps and we are set. Hopefully you guys like mine and we have that settled, otherwise some more HOB maps need to be made. That or be stuck with one I don't like, or bring back Winter holdout

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day