Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old August 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Disinfretinated

mecha frog knows what's in an order marker mecha frog knows what's in an order marker
Re: National Heroscape Day News!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Does it have to be on the 18th or could it also be on the 19th?

My son's high school marching band has a contest on the 18th, so I know we can't organize an event that day.
It can be on the 19th!!
National Heroscape Weekend!!!!

I downloaded the DCI for a test drive. Pretty sure I got the correct version. Heroscape was not listed as one of the default games and I did not see an obvious way of adding a custom game. Any ideas?
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:22 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
I don't know about which is better, from the perspective of good press, or drawing in new players, but from my experience, I think the big venue works better, especially on National Heroscape Day.

I see quote unquote little events draw in fewer players. But something like NHSD ranks second behind Gencon. Bigger seems better because people will come from far away to play.

Also, from my own experience, the first tournament I ever played in was NHSD last year. And what drew me to that, apart from the overwhelming support of the local community to encourage new players to the tournament scene (props to DrL), was the fact it's a National day devoted to the Heroscape game. I mean, how cool is that??!!

I think unless the smaller events are actually held in FLGS's, then the smaller venues really won't matter as far as the good press for the game or drawing in new players is concerned. Look at Saturday, we got no exposure except for a few curious looks in the Library.

That would be different in the FLGS, I think. So unless we're actually promoting the event with signage and posters and whatnot, then a bigger venue is much better. Of course, if we have all that promotional stuff, then smaller might be better. After proofreading my post, I don't guess I really answered anything.

But hey, bigger is fun - especially on NHSD!

Just my two cents.
No, I think you answered my question exactly. Thanks, rym!

Old August 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha frog View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Does it have to be on the 18th or could it also be on the 19th?

My son's high school marching band has a contest on the 18th, so I know we can't organize an event that day.
It can be on the 19th!!
National Heroscape Weekend!!!!

I downloaded the DCI for a test drive. Pretty sure I got the correct version. Heroscape was not listed as one of the default games and I did not see an obvious way of adding a custom game. Any ideas?
We use D&D minis structure so just choose D&D minis. Also keep in mind that I am the one who started the connection between Heroscape and DCI a few years ago. I have tried all the different tourney structures and we have found that D&D minis works well with what we do. Now, please explain how you got a download of the software.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Disinfretinated

mecha frog knows what's in an order marker mecha frog knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Now, please explain how you got a download of the software.
Google Fu. I'll PM you the link if I can find it quickly. Otherwise I'll have to send it to you when I get home.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha frog View Post
Quote:
Now, please explain how you got a download of the software.
Google Fu. I'll PM you the link if I can find it quickly. Otherwise I'll have to send it to you when I get home.
Thanks. You may have found an older copy as it is supposed to be available just to official DCI members.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Taking the initiative based on the wonderful accolades GB, Truth and R˙chean on how my trophies were such a great reflection on GenCon, I have decided to make trophies for the NHSD events being held around the country.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:39 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Taking the initiative based on the wonderful accolades GB, Truth and R˙chean on how my trophies were such a great reflection on GenCon, I have decided to make trophies for the NHSD events being held around the country.
That's awesome Onacara! Now, for a little personal touch, how about putting my name on the DFW NHSD trophy - that way it's ready to go!!

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-

Last edited by rym; August 21st, 2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Edit: Nevermind, actually requires winning more than 2 games
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM

demon_llama has disabled reputation

please forgive me if i missed this somewhere, i'm an old gamer, but new to the whole tourney thing (and technology). can someone direct me to info/how to's on how i might run an instore event for NHSD?
thanks...

...the rich
(My HEX Game Files @ http://www.scribd.com/_the_rich)
Lawton/Fort Sill Heroscape (monthly?) Tournament:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...506#post951506
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:26 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

In my case, I visited Wizards.com, went to their store finder, located a close shop, dropped in to check it out (make sure there is enough space, etc.), met the owners, asked about HS, set up a Game Day to feel things out, then moved up to a tourney later--with the owners' support and permission.

I don't know about adding in the DCI component, etc., but many of these store owners do (I'm going to chat with mine this weekend and find out more).

I also set up a thread here in the Events section, added it to the Calendar, and put a link in the relevant regional thread in Meet Other Scapers. The thread here was used to set up all details (choose maps ahead of time (I recommend the BoV), decide on glyph use (if any), army point totals, etc.). I have several links in my Index (see my sig) that help with some of these points.

After I had at least 12 people coming, I contacted Sandra and Len about prizes (that's HouseMouse and WarGamersHQ). They were both very kind.

That is a super-short version. I'd be happy to add more details. (There are a lot of details!)

Hope that helps. Happy to help more if I can.
Old August 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM

demon_llama has disabled reputation

thank you. i appreciate the information. i actually have a FLAGS here. know the owners well, reciently got them hooked on HS (been telling them for years how much fun it is, now they are hooked and trying to find older stuff). they do run other organized min's games (WOTC, WizKids, etc), and the idea of regular HS is a go. i'm looking for mechanics help (field size/set up ideas, point suggestions, style, etc).

i couldn't honestly see looking for support from Housemouse/WarGamersHQ. we're too small here (sounds strange considering we're on a major military post) and that support would be better sereved in a major city or convention, but i appreciate the suggestion.

have a funny day...

...the rich
(My HEX Game Files @ http://www.scribd.com/_the_rich)
Lawton/Fort Sill Heroscape (monthly?) Tournament:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...506#post951506

Last edited by demon_llama; August 21st, 2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: caps goof. please forgive me...
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I am going to throw my 2 cents in here in regards to support from HMG and WGHQ.

If you are running the event in a store that is selling the product then how can you justify having prize support from another retailer?

The purpose of the prize support is to advertise the retailer supplying the prizes. I know if I owned a store and held or let you hold a tournament there that I am not going to let you do it. So either you are going to do it on the slide which is not fair to the store owner or not acknowledge HMG or WGHQ properly which is not fair to them.
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
I am going to throw my 2 cents in here in regards to support from HMG and WGHQ.

If you are running the event in a store that is selling the product then how can you justify having prize support from another retailer?

The purpose of the prize support is to advertise the retailer supplying the prizes. I know if I owned a store and held or let you hold a tournament there that I am not going to let you do it. So either you are going to do it on the slide which is not fair to the store owner or not acknowledge HMG or WGHQ properly which is not fair to them.
In some cases it could be that the FLGS is interested in bringing the crowd into the location, but is not willing to front the cash for prizes. I don't own or operate a small business, so I couldn't really say for sure, but some stores may not want to invest more than the floor space for the event if they are unfamiliar with the brand.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day