Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old November 11th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Filthy the Clown's Customs - Priscus, Gladiator Hero

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
The left box text could be shrunk down a size. Other than that it looks great. I love cards that have the figure poking a sword/etc out of the picture zone. It gives the cards a very neat 3D feel that the official cards are lacking. I'm not sure about the darkening, but that's your call. The stats need aligned better, and I think the wording on Taste of Freedom could be improved. "If all of your order markers are on Gladiators"... Also except Priscus doesn't need to be parenthases. Overall it's very good and like Lamaclown said you can definitely see the thought that was put into it.
I lightened the sculpt's image a bit (and enhanced the 3d effect on the sword arm). I also realigned the stats to grid, as well as added your wording change to Taste of Freedom. However, I am leaving (Except Priscus) as-is, as this is similar to the wording on Spartacus' card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Very nice custom Filthy! Shield pin almost make his normal attack worthless though, maybe 2 for the power's attack. He seems quite balanced regardless.
After thinking about this, I decided to leave Shield Pin as-is. My reasoning:
  1. As Priscus needs a reliable anti-rat/screen solution (goblins come to mind as well), a strength 3 special attack, with the defender rolling 2 less dice, gives him pretty good odds at taking down at least one figure (he can auto-kill a goblin without invoking Scurry, and he has a 62% chance to kill a rat, as well as not having to worry about Scatter). Note that he only gets one attack, which keeps this power in check. Plus, he can't use it on Large+ figures (which makes logical sense, as he would need to be large himself in order to pin a large+ figure with his shield).
  2. His regular attack can still take advantage of height bonuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
Oh yeah you need to put a period after Attack 3 and after Range 1 to separate the stats. Sorry I missed that before.
Fixed.
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

I did some more playtesting with Priscus over the weekend, and it helped to cement the benefits that he brings to the Capuans. I ran him in Capuan-heavy builds:
Priscus
Crixus
Capuans x4
Marcu (filler)
500, 15 spaces

VS

Game 1:
Torin
Stingers x3
Rats x2
Raelin v2
500, 20 spaces
-Loss for Gladiators (Torin and 3 Stingers left)

Game 2:
Marcus
Legos x4
Roman Archers x2
Parmenio
500, 24 spaces
-Win for Gladiators (Crixus and 3 Capuans left)

Priscus fits in nicely. At 110 points, he can fit in the shoes of Spartacus while allowing for some more Gladiators to be fielded. In this case, I teamed him up with the wrecking-ball-known-as-Crixus and 4 squads of Capuans. His abilities gave a well-needed boost to the Capuan squads (Crixus already has an impressive attack, although Priscus was still able to boost him). Taste of Freedom really goes hand in hand with the Capuans' initiative bonus, as the combination of first strike and extra attack lets them plow through targets of opportunity. This combination helps to offset the lack of 4 defense that the Inspired Capuans would otherwise get from Spartacus. Essentially, we are trading defense and movement boosts for more warm bodies, but it does seem to work.

Shield Pin Special Attack seems both balanced and complementary to the gladiators, as it gives Priscus an ability to punch a hole in a shield wall/screen in order to allow the Capuans to push through. This strategy worked nicely against rats and the Roman shield wall (Priscus takes out the center lego, dropping the defense of the rest of the shield wall). Of course, there are times where using his regular attack [only from height, though] will come in handy, but I did not have an opportunity to use it in my matches.

Although Priscus has decent stats, they are not overpowered. In the first game, the Stingers were able to take him out in 2 turns without drain (luckily, he had already cut a path through the rat wall...But the Capuans were slowly dwindled down); in the second game, he eventually fell to Romans. Against screens and small/medium foes, he can do some damage; against large/huge foes, you are better spent using him as a cheerleader and attacking with boosted Caps and/or Crixus.

At higher point totals, I would still include Spartacus in the Gladiator builds (although Priscus can be included in the build, the conditions of their abilities adds a bit of redundancy). However, at 500ish points or less, I like what I see in Priscus and what he brings to the table of the gladiators.

I have some more playtesting in the works, as well as a battle report with the Glads. Of course, any playtesting and additional feedback is welcome.
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Tickle Pickle

tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth tcglkn is a man of the cloth

Good job here man, I think you have him pretty much worked out and I look forward to what the SoV says. I also look forward to the new Tribesman Hero.
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM

.68 knows what's in an order marker .68 knows what's in an order marker

Longtime fan of your posting, nice job here on the custom. But now we all want to see the tribesman!
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM

Re: Filthy the Clown's Customs - Buckskin Joe, Tribesman Her

I have posted my plans for Buckskin Joe, Tribesman hero, on the first page of this thread.

Initial Stats:
Name: Buckskin Joe
Aquilla
Human
Unique Hero
Tribesman
Tormented
MEDIUM 5

Stats:
4 Life
MOVE 5
ATTACK 2
DEFENSE 4
RANGE 6
POINTS 70

Apache Fierceness: When Buckskin Joe attacks, he may attack one additional time.

Blood Brothers: After taking a turn with Buckskin Joe, you may move 1 lawman that you control up to 5 spaces, or attack with one lawman that you control.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

This guy reminds me of Jack Palance in Torreano.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
This guy reminds me of Jack Palance in Torreano.
I was thinking more along the lines of Bronson's character in Chato's Land, which also starred Jack Palance.
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:10 PM

I am working on a ranged squad for Valkrill: Vakrian Slingers.

Valkrill
Kobold
Common Squad (3)
Slingers
Relentless
SMALL 3

Stats
MOVE 6
RANGE 5
ATTACK 2
DEFENSE 2
LIFE 1
POINTS 55

Rain of Stone Special Attack
Range 5. Attack 5.
Three unengaged Vakrian Slingers within 3 clear line of sight spaces of each other may combine their attacks and roll their attack dice as one attack. All Vakrian Slingers participating in the Rain of Stone Special Attack must have clear line of sight to the one target. The defending figure compares height to the lowest Slinger to determine any height advantage.

Scale
When moving up or down levels of terrain, Vakrian Slingers may add 2 to their height.

They use the Kobold Slingers sculpt from D&D's Lords of Madness:

The Slingers offer a ranged option for Valkrill, as well as another use for Khosumet (and, in turn, Death Knights and possibly Badru). Their special attack is almost verbatim from the Roman Archers' Arrow Volley, but without the need for all of the slingers to be on the same level.
More information is available on the first post of this thread. I am busy playtesting the guys and putting them through the ringer, but please share any feedback and suggestions.

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; December 16th, 2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: New verbiage about Rain of Stone - thanks Taeblewalker
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Re: Filthy the Clown's Customs - Vakrian Slingers

I recorded another game with Priscus. He killed a bit more than his points and helped to boost the Capuans enough to take out some high-defense units (5-defense Death Knights and Dumutef), as well as allow for enough Capuans to weather a barrage of Taelord-backed attacks.
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
The Slingers offer a ranged option for Valkrill, as well as another use for Khosumet (and, in turn, Death Knights and possibly Badru). Their special attack is almost verbatim from the Roman Archers' Arrow Volley, but without the need for all of the slingers to be on the same level.
If you take that line out, you have to add the Ashigaru Yari language about comparing the target to the lowest slinger to determine height advantage. (Or the highest, or the one in the middle, whatever... but you need to pick one.) Personally, I'd be inclined to get rid of the adjacent requirement as well, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
More information is available on the first post of this thread. I am busy playtesting the guys and putting them through the ringer, but please share any feedback and suggestions.
Well, a quick comparison to stingers shows you're giving up a point of attack, 10 points, and stinger drain in return for a point of move, the special attack, and some synergy with Khosumet. All in all, that's a pretty bad deal, so we're not in overpowered territory here.
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
If you take that line out, you have to add the Ashigaru Yari language about comparing the target to the lowest slinger to determine height advantage. (Or the highest, or the one in the middle, whatever... but you need to pick one.) Personally, I'd be inclined to get rid of the adjacent requirement as well, but that's just me.
Good point, thanks. The revised verbiage:
Quote:

Range 5. Attack 5.
Three unengaged Vakrian Slingers within 3 clear line of sight spaces of each other may combine their attacks and roll their attack dice as one attack. All Vakrian Slingers in the Rain of Stone attack must have clear line of sight on the one target. The defending figure compares height to the lowest Slinger to determine any height advantage.
Besides adjacency, it makes sense to have some sort of requirement in order to use the special attack, such as requiring the 3 slingers to be within 3 clear sight spaces of each other. Otherwise, you could have slingers spread out on the board and still use Rain of Stone, which does not make much logical sense to me (I know, it is HS, where certain logic does not apply, but surely they would need a communications channel to determine the target; bellowing out across the battlefield does not cut it to me. ). However, this might add a bit too much complexity to the matter. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Well, a quick comparison to stingers shows you're giving up a point of attack, 10 points, and stinger drain in return for a point of move, the special attack, and some synergy with Khosumet. All in all, that's a pretty bad deal, so we're not in overpowered territory here.
At 70 points, they are comparable to Mohicans and Aubrien Archers; one with bonding, and the other with Frenzy rolls. My reasoning for the Slingers' base attack of 2 is a result of the comparison between these two squads. I am tempted to raise their base attack to 3, but I have not tested this yet. Another option is to allow bonding with Khosumet, but the wording could be rather testy (before taking a turn with the Slingers, you may first take a turn with one medium Darklord...Ugh).

The sculpts should come in the mail today, which will motivate me to perform some more benchmarking.
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM

Re: Filthy the Clown's Customs - Vakrian Slingers

The Kobold sculpts are about the size of Goblin Cutters, so their stats need to be tweaked to take account of their small stature. Here is a size comparison.

That being said, the sculpts are cheap ($.69 each on Auggies) and plentiful, and they have a pretty cool pose (like throwing a cue ball from a towel = nod to Seagal ). They are perfect as a cheap, ranged squad with a conditional special attack. The name might also need to be changed to something more generic (Kobold Slingers), as Vakrian is naturally very similar to Valkrill (in that case, they could also be Valkrian Slingers).
New stats, pending my playtesting:

Quote:
Valkrill
Kobold
Common Squad (3)
Slingers
Relentless
SMALL 3

Stats
MOVE 6
RANGE 5
ATTACK 2
DEFENSE 2
LIFE 1
POINTS 60

Range 5. Attack 5.
Three unengaged Vakrian Slingers within 3 clear line of sight spaces of each other may combine their attacks and roll their attack dice as one attack. All Vakrian Slingers in the Rain of Stone attack must have clear line of sight on the one target. The defending figure compares height to the lowest Slinger to determine any height advantage.

When moving up or down levels of terrain, Vakrian Slingers may add 2 to their height.
The lower defense seems more befitting of their small size, and they also took a decrease in points (they might be worth even less than 60, though, perhaps 50-55; playtesting should iron this out).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards