Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:44 PM

BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker
BoneSnap's Maps -- Mines of Moria

Well, I guess it's time to give it a go with the whole map thing.

Code:
June 10, 2011: Helm's Deep added.
June 22, 2011: Mines of Moria added.
October 18, 2011: Mines of Moria -- Version 2 added.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Helm's Deep
[2] Mines of Moria
[3] Mines of Moria -- Version 2

BoneSnap's Customs
Helm's Deep

Last edited by BoneSnap; December 21st, 2011 at 04:26 AM. Reason: New Map
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:15 AM

BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker BoneSnap knows what's in an order marker
Re: BoneSnap's Maps -- Helm's Deep

Helm's Deep
By: BoneSnap and Mista

Here we start with an overview of the map. I'll apologize now for the Deeping Wall -- we were rather low on fortress pieces (I wonder where they went…), so it's a tad crooked.

Next up, we have a side-long view of the main gate.

You can see the small section of wall missing on that side tower to include the area that Aragorn and Gimli jumped from. Believe it or not, there is actually a path in there so that figures can really move through the tower to the jut, but we discovered later that you can only do it if your hands are a lot smaller than mine. We also have the ladders and pseudo battering ram.

Then we move on to an aerial view of the Hornburg.

You can see the battering ram at the gate in the bottom left corner. From there, the attackers had to work their way towards the tower and around that edge of the inner wall to the courtyard. There you can see the steps (Dungeon pieces) that lead to the interior of the fortress.

It's rather hard to see, but there is a bridge from the outer wall to the inner courtyard along the rocks in the bottom right edge of the gate area. It was very useful when the gate was breached and save almost 300 points of my army that got cut off from a more normal means of escape.

Along the Hornburg outer wall, there is also a small gap. For those interested, it leads directly to the top of the Deeping Wall. It actually caused me more than a little worry when the Deeping Wall was overrun before they even touched the gate. I almost had to abandon my first layer of defense before the true siege even begun. However, some heroics from Sonlen kept that opening bottled up.

Moving on, we have a close-up of the Inner Courtyard.

And a view from the back side, or "Throne Room."

You can see the Brandar Glyph set there in the back. That lead to the Caves, which were the last hold out if the defenders got mauled. I, for some reason, neglected to take any pictures of the caves, but they were no more than a single BftU's worth of terrain.

Well, I think that covers the Hornburg, so we're on to the Deeping Wall.

In this, you can see the inside view of the Deeping Wall. It's really not anything special, but it served it's purpose. The main things to point out are the two retreat routes into the Hornburg. As mentioned earlier, there is a passage directly from the top of the wall to the keep, but you can also see the stairs in the bottom right. There is a glyph at the top, right up against the base of the tower. This actually leads directly to the inner wall*. For those of you wondering, the section of the Deeping Wall directly over the water is actually removable so we can "blow it up."

To complete our grand tour, we have a closer look at the escape option mentioned above.

That little indent there is where the escape comes out. It also gives a look at the entrance to the inner courtyard. Overall, it didn't come into play much, but it seemed right to add.

*Explanation
Spoiler Alert!

Scenario
For those interested, the scenario we built for this is also listed below.
Spoiler Alert!

BoneSnap's Customs
Helm's Deep
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

nice work on the battlefield . might I inquire as to how many sets you used
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
nice work on the battlefield . might I inquire as to how many sets you used
You might. I'm not entirely sure what the answer is, other than a lot. This build combines virtually all the terrain we have between the two of us, which, at that point, was 10 RotV, 6 SotM, 4 BftU, 3 RttfF, and a number of the smaller expansions that had the terrain included. It was really surprising how many pieces it took to build up the base for the fortress. The Hornburg is sitting on a solid mass of tiles.

As for Fortress sets, I'd like to think that we had around 5-6, but I can't really remember. Since then and now, we've acquired more (found them at CoolStuffInc.com for $15; who wasn't going to buy?). We eventually hope to capture a real Minas Tirith, though rough calculations suggest we want 14+ Fortress sets plus a massive amount of terrain. Oh well, 9 down, 5 to go.

BoneSnap's Customs
Helm's Deep
Old June 11th, 2011, 12:55 AM

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

oh, Lordy Lou... epic
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:15 AM

pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker

Too massive! WOW! +rep
~P
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wow, that is one heck of a job! I did something similar once, but yours blows mine out of the water. Now I really wanna get a half dozen more fortress sets. Great work.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Very nicely done, Bone Snap.
Old June 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM

Nickydude Woo who?

I have a Fortress set coming in a couple of day... hmmm...

Thanks for the pics, looks great!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own..."
Old June 12th, 2011, 04:42 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker

Wow, that destroys mine.

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:04 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad you all enjoyed it so much. To be fair, though, we have done this two or three times before. I even have a picture of our last version:

This one was really blocky and hard to deal with. The structure was fragile and we weren't overly happy with it. That stupid tower fell so many times that we only put it back on to take the pictures. The only good thing about it was that we learned a lot for this build.

I've also got some good news. This week we're going to attempt a Mines of Moria scenario. Mista and I are going to begin setting up and planning tomorrow, though we won't play until friday.

BoneSnap's Customs
Helm's Deep
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:08 AM

mmm... Khazad-dum...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios