Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old January 7th, 2013, 04:32 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Unexpectedly Finding Unexpected Connections

Did you ever find an unexpected intellectual connection when you least expected it? In the days before the internet, it was even more unusual to find someone's playful reference, or serious source, or pun, or weird spin on something.

Yesterday the name of a Japanese Anime character popped up in a book referring to French history I was reading. What were the chances that I'd just happen to read a certain chapter in a book about Great Battlefield Commanders after I'd been watching a certain program streaming on The Anime Channel? Otherwise, I would have never have noticed the connection in a million years...

A French character in the Anime INFINITE STRATOS named Charles Dunois, turns out to be Charlotte Dunois, a girl. Meantime, I'm reading that Joan of Arc (The Maid of Orleans), a girl fighting her way into a man's world to a degree unheard of in that age, was historically in an army run by the Count of Dunois, an area near Orleans. Never would have caught it in a million years--but I did. Huh.

Did that ever happen to you?
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Your wish is my command, Chief Underpants Eater

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Unexpectedly Finding Unexpected Connections

I can't remember the occurrence specifically but, yes. I want to say it was very similar to your situation where I was reading a book and then later noticed that the inspiration for the protagonist in the book was another protagonist in another book.

The sad part is, this is probably a common thing.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:19 PM
A cool title

shafizele is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibechief View Post
The sad part is, this is probably a common thing.
10,000 years of human existence would amount to a whole lot of things being thought up already, I often think about "maybe someone already did this before me". The books I read are full of things that are completely unattached to science yet somehow connect to it anyway.

Whatever you do, DO NOT read this, it's completely pointless.
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:44 AM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

The moment when I found out Stormtroopers are named after NAzi Stormtruppen, among others.

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I was watching the anime "Desert Punk" last night. It's set in a distant future, somewhat post-apacolyptic. There was a treasure hunter in an episode, and he discovered an ancient relic, which happened to be the board game "Life." Except they called it "Living" in the anime. I thought it was funny. The treasure hunter made bank off of the discovery.

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General