Old May 25th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Aquaryan is surprisingly tart
My Favorite Authors

Here is a sample of my favorite authors:

James Rollins
Gregg Hurwitz
Matthew Reilly
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child

What are your favorite authors? (I accidentally omitted this when I first posted it)

Last edited by Aquaryan; May 27th, 2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: forgot to ask the question afterwards
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM
On Fire like in NBA Jam!

Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: My Favorite Authors

Question, is this a what is your favorite authors thread? if so,

Kenneth Oppel
Rick Riordan
Paolini
Kenneth Fletcher

Can you defeat a mind such as mine?
Riddler
Old May 27th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

J. K. Rowling
Orson Scott Card
Robert A. Heinlein
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation

Instead of just making a list, why dont you tell us why they are your favorite authors? You might get more participation that way.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM

Aquaryan is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaryan View Post
Here is a sample of my favorite authors:

James Rollins
Gregg Hurwitz
Matthew Reilly
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child
I had enjoyed reading James' novels from Day One. His first novel, Subterranean, caught my eye and without reading what it was about. I bought it. I have been a fan of his ever since.

I came across Gregg's Do No Harm, when I was waiting in line at the checkout stand. I found his novels to be characterization works. When I read these characters, I saw them as 3D. His later work is similar to Robert Crais (another good writer)

I found Matthew's novels to be a roller coaster with one action moment after another.

I love the character of Penderghast that Preston/Child created.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:39 AM

oni is surprisingly tart

Too many to list fully. Michael Moorcock, Roger Zelazny, Orson Scott Card, Robert Asprin, Dave Duncan, Haruki Murakami, Dashiell Hammett, Italo Calvino, Robert Jordan, John Okada, Jasper FForde, Dave Duncan, Matt Wagner, David Eddings, Barbara Hambly, Stephen R Donaldson, Lloyd Alexander, JD Salinger, Christopher Stasheff, Joel Rosenberg, and so many others!

Feed the newbs! Link to a common HS topic in your signature.
Storage ideas
What Should I get next?
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

George R.R. Martin

Jim Butcher

Robin Hobb

Raymond Feist

Robert Jorden (RIP)

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
On Fire like in NBA Jam!

Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

susan fletcher wrote the Dragons Milk series.

Can you defeat a mind such as mine?
Riddler
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Snoop Greyjoy has disabled reputation

I wanted to take the opportunity to spread the George RR Martin love.

I used to read almost nothing but Sci-Fi and fantasy when I was younger, and kind of burned myself out on it. GRRM has rekindled my interest in the fantasy genre and I really believe his Song of Ice and Fire Series ranks among the all-time best fantasy series.

If you give it a try, at least read all the way through the 1st book before deciding. A lot of those who arent fond of the series were those who were told how "great" it was and cant see what all the fuss is about. It really takes until about book 3 to realize the true genius behind it all, but you get some good stuff by the end of the first book, A Game of Thrones.

Some of my other favorite authors:
Roger Zelazny, Phillip J Farmer, Bob Woodward, John Fowles, Homer (lol, the Iliad is my all-time favorite "book")

Last edited by Snoop Greyjoy; July 8th, 2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:16 AM

Guerillinator has disabled reputation

I'd like to second the love for George RR Martin. Initially, the first book didn't overwhelm me with creativity and there are a lot of characters to keep track of, but as the storylines developed I was in awe of how complex, well thought out the book was. And the characters are some of the most well developed I've read. I would put it in my top 3 favorite fantasy authors.

Most people are familiar with Robert Jordan, his Wheel of the Time series is a masterpiece even if it does bog down in the later books. I also have really liked the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series, although the earlier books are again the best (at least in my opinion).

Terry Practchett's Discworld series has been discussed on threads before, and I've read over 20 of them in the last year and a half--the funniest and most well thought out books. Both the comic genius and clever satire are the best I've ever read.

Lastly, for those you'd like something else than fantasy, I'd recommend from SciFi anything by Frank Herbert (and his son's Dune follow-up novels are good, too) or Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game is among my top 3 favorite books of all time). From horror Stephen King is so good at character development and dialogue (and the Dark Tower is an interesting Fantasy series), Clive Barker's early books, Brian Keene's zombie novels (relentless pacing), and Brian Lumley's Necroscope stuff (he also does some good Lovercraftian type stories).

ok, this list is a little longer than I intended, and I still left several of my favorite authors off the list. I guess that's what happens when you're 37 and have been heavy reader since about 10 years old.

One in a million chances tend to come up nine times out of ten.
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:46 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ok, here goes!

Jeff Shaara(LOVED his historical novels)
Michael Shaara(Killer Angels is one of the best historical novels around)
J.R.R Tolkien(Who doesn't like the Lord of the Rings?)
Brian Jaques(LOVED his Redwall series)
Kathryn Lasky(LOVED her Guardians of Ga'Hoole series, a fantasy series about owls)

That's my list! I'm sure that there are other authors that I just couldn't think of off the top of my head.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:36 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Kurt Vonnegut - Love his dry cynicism.

Chuck Palahniuk - Amazing story lines with gripping detail.

Kafka - His bland writing with deep meaning intrigues me.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books