Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 21st, 2012, 05:29 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: 450 point army

Well met!

My Reverse the Whip army for this event (if I acquire sudden wealth):

160 Wolves of Badru x 2
140 Werewolf Lord
150 Q10
450, 10 spaces

I've probably played a variation on this army the most of any in the last year, including in a tournament (4-1), so I am more familiar with them than many. And it has the necessary components for a strong, flexible, balanced and competitive army, if not Tier 1.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Pretty good list there, sixth. You are a touch off on the math on a couple, but it's a decent summary.

Some armies that WILL be played (but not by me):

50 Nerak
120 Grimnak
280 Heavies x4
450, 20 spaces

10 Isamu
80 Raelin
120 Blasts x2
240 Glads x3
450, 22 spaces

30 Eldgrim
420 4th Mass x6
450, 25 spaces (sit Eldgrim or a minuteman, depending on map/glyphs)

10 Isamu
80 Raelin
360 Stingers x6
450, 20 spaces

There's nothing else that I would be shocked not to see. I expect we'll see several variants on that stinger build (4x with Kaemon or a Hydra, 7x without Raelin), and I figure we'll see knightsx4 with Gilbert and 65 points of filler, but maybe not.

Most of the stuff I had planned required a slightly higher point total, so I'm still looking at several options.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!

An interesting one would be

Mohicans x5
Brave Arrow
Marro Warriors

Pretty fragile, but might get you to day 2

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Definitely 6 x 10th.

And I'm having a hard time not wanting to run 6 x 4th again.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:29 PM

SilentOwl is surprisingly tart

I LOVE this 450 point army :P

Minions of Utgar x3 - 330
Marro Stingers x2 - 450
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroche View Post
Definitely 6 x 10th.
Yeah, I suppose, although I'd expect more 10thx4/Raelin/(70 points). If you're just filling the startzone and not using Raelin, why not just use the 4th?

Quote:
And I'm having a hard time not wanting to run 6 x 4th again.
There's no build you have to apologize for in this format. Well, maybe rats & mezzos (a.k.a. the time limit army) but that's about the only thing I can think of. Everything else is just playing the balancing act between winning on day 1 and winning on day 2.

And hey, K-boom did win a game with 4thx6 on day 2 last year, so it's not as though it's a guaranteed 1-and-done.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Pretty good list there, sixth. You are a touch off on the math on a couple, but it's a decent summary.

Some armies that WILL be played (but not by me):

50 Nerak
120 Grimnak
280 Heavies x4
450, 20 spaces

10 Isamu
80 Raelin
120 Blasts x2
240 Glads x3
450, 22 spaces

30 Eldgrim
420 4th Mass x6
450, 25 spaces (sit Eldgrim or a minuteman, depending on map/glyphs)

10 Isamu
80 Raelin
360 Stingers x6
450, 20 spaces

There's nothing else that I would be shocked not to see. I expect we'll see several variants on that stinger build (4x with Kaemon or a Hydra, 7x without Raelin), and I figure we'll see knightsx4 with Gilbert and 65 points of filler, but maybe not.

Most of the stuff I had planned required a slightly higher point total, so I'm still looking at several options.
Well met!

Hey dok! I'm a bit . What're your criteria for army-building for Reverse the Whip? Aren't the armies above, and most of six's, what you'd expect to see if this were just a "normal" tournament?
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
There's no build you have to apologize for in this format
Oh, I wasn't being clear...how dare you not read my mind. I had backed up to general 450 builds since so many events are at that point total this year. That's why I was saying 6x10th. So you'd rather run 4x10th/Raelin instead? Huh...wouldn't more numbers be better?

So with regards to Reverse the Whip...no, I guess I don't want to run the 4th or 10th either.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 10:03 PM

Well met!

Sittin' here on a rainy Sunday night, I'd rather be playin', but . . .

I understand that low variance and absolute OM efficiency are the mathematical favorites to win. I've been 4-1 at every tournament I've been in. Partially because I never play top tier armies. Mostly because I haven't invested the time and effort necessary to be a top tier player. All of which is why I think the one of the following armies could win Reverse the Whip, in the right hands.

GBQ
150 Q10
150 Brutes x 2
100 Goblins x 3
450, 16 spaces

Hit 'Em High, Hit 'Em Low
185 Nilfeim
140 Heavy Gruts x 2
120 Grimnak
345, 12 spaces

Old School
150 Q10
150 Romans x 3
100 Marcus
50 Me-Burq-Sa
450, 17 spaces

Divide & KonQuer
150 Dividers x 3
150 Q10
100 Krav
50 Marro Warriors
450, 17 hexes

Last edited by kolakoski; April 23rd, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:02 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I feel like this army could hold its own against the majority of armies but provide enough disunity that on day 2 it could be tough for the opponent to use.
Axe Grinders x3 210
Krav 310
Eltahale 450

You could always go for the this version though, but the opponent would catch onto this armies strengths quickly
Axe Grinders x3 210
Q10 360
Raelin 440
Isamu 450
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Hey dok! I'm a bit . What're your criteria for army-building for Reverse the Whip? Aren't the armies above, and most of six's, what you'd expect to see if this were just a "normal" tournament?
Yes, to some extent, although the local scene in Colorado doesn't typically feature too many cutthroat builds like those. Still, I expect to see those armies in the main event. Plenty of people are just trying to make day 2, and they'll figure things out from there.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
That's why I was saying 6x10th. So you'd rather run 4x10th/Raelin instead? Huh...wouldn't more numbers be better?
Well... maybe. It depends on the matchup. Raelin is good.

450 is a bad number for 10th+Raelin because you're left with the worst-case 70 points of filler. At 455 you could just run 10thx5+Raelin, which I definitely like more than 10thx6. At 450, you can make a good argument for backing out to Raelin+10thx3 and then adding something else with the last 145 points (ratsx2 + Shotgun?), but that's getting pretty far away from where we started.

The main point I was trying to make is that, unless you're facing an all-melee opponent, 4thx6 trumps 10thx6 pretty clearly.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion