Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old July 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby!
The Book of Ashigaru Harquebus

The Book of Ashigaru Harquebus
Fields of Valor - Collection 7 - Riflemen and Spearmen

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio:As the ashigaru yari was the main force in group combat, the ashigaru harquebus was the prime choice of warfare. Taking an untrained soldier and handing him a harquebus required very little training. All that was required was to teach him to load and shoot the harquebus while holding his position. An army of ashigaru harquebus could fire a wall of lead smashing the largest cavalry charge and reducing it to a mere pittance.

The harquebus revolutionized the way battles were fought. No longer was there a need to face your enemy, to look him in the eye before bringing him to his demise. Charging samurai cavalry, once the heart of a daimyo’s army, could be decimated by this faceless army of low-class warriors. To Einar, this was a perfect complement to the rest of his army. On Valhalla, the ashigaru harquebus are similarly altering the face of warfare. (Hasbro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
WAIT THEN FIRE
If none of the Ashigaru Harquebus move this turn, add 1 die to their attack.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • - N/A

Synergy Benefits Recieved
  • - HATAMOTO TARO : Heroic Defense Aura
    As Ashigaru, the Ashigaru Harquebus may benefit from Hatamoto Taro’s HEROIC DEFENSE AURA.

- KATO KATSURO : Kato Katsuro's Command
    As Ashigaru Harquebus, the Ashigaru Harquebus may benifit from Kato Katsura's KATO KATSURA'S COMMAND activation synergy.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - SACRED BAND : Disciplined Army Defense Bonus
    Having a Disciplined personality, the Ashigaru Harquebus may aid the Sacred Band with their DISCIPLINED ARMY DEFENSE BONUS.
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-_________________________________________________________________
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Rankings

Jexik: Ashigaru Harquebus- Pretend Raelin is always on your team and the 4th Mass Line don't already exist, and you've got yourself a respectable ranged squad. B-

OEAO: Ashigaru Harquebus- 3-4x Harqs and Raelin is essentially budget 4th. Just make sure to leave Kato home. B+

Cleon: Tier 6 (76/208)

dok (VC inclusive): B

Master Index
Base a Competitive Army Around: Ashigaru!
Unit Debate #29 -- Ashigaru Vs. Romans
Ashigaru: A Closer Look (How to use)

Unit Strategy Review
  • - TBA

Last edited by superfrog; March 5th, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: vc added
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'm not that impressed with these guys. With only 10 pts below the 4th mass, you get pretty much the same unit except that you have much worse defense, with no special ability that let's you boost that horrible defense. These guys will definetely not replace the 4th mass as a viable tournament army. Even with hatamoto these guys aren't that good. I would choose the tagawa archers over these guys anytime.

I do love the sculpts and love the fluff about them! I will have fun havinga swarming samurai army.
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:55 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
I'm not impressed with these guys at all. The Tagawa Achers are only 5 points more expensive, but bring an extra two defense and counterstrike. I too would pick the Tagawa Archers anytime instead of these guys.
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:58 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
They also lack the Soldier class that lets Marcus speed them up and boost their offense. They're certainly not going to replace the 4th Mass, though they're not all that terrible either.
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM

philowar is surprisingly tart
These guys are cheese. The Wait Then Fire ability has been recycled, which it shouldn't have been. The 4th Mass Wait Then Fire has the "don't shoot until you see the white of their eyes" theme behind it, yet these guys were handed it just because they have primitive firearms. Their defense is utterly ridiculous, and as previously stated, it cannot be boosted by an inherent ability. Furthermore, they do not benefit from Marcus (and yet they're Einar!). All in all, a big dud of a squad that I'd choose over the 4th Mass only if going for a themed army. I mean, 60 points for these guys when you can spend 10 more for the vastly superior 4th Mass?

Man, between these guys and the Tagawa Archers, all the samurai army ranged squads really stink.
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!
While these guys pale in comparison to the 4th Mass I don't think they're completely terrible.

These guys will fill roles nicely in casual games and backed with the Sacred band you can literally create some neat long lasting themed swarm armies.

Competitively? Not so much.

Grenade lobbyist
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Yeah, this is by far the biggest dissapointment in the wave. I really thought we would see something cool, a unique addition to the Einar power house. But what do we get? Toned down 4th Mass. Still, 4 ranged attacks aren't nothing.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:07 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
They aren't amazing, but, 4 attacks with a potential 4 dice for 60 points isn't terrible. One thing to keep in mind is that their value increases the more of them you field. 2 squads at 120, 3 at 180, 4 at 240...etc. The 4th are 2 at 140, 3 at 210, 4 at 280. When fielding three or more of them the point difference is significant. As I said, at least as far as attack goes you get pretty much the same as the 4th. As far as them not being soldiers, well it's accurate. The guys were more conscripts than soldiers, at least at first. They should have been soldiers though to benefit from other heroes, etc.

You could have:

Harquebus x4-240
Izumi-60
Kaemon-120
Yari x2-80

500 points and not a terrible team. Then Yari tie up witth the Izumi, Kaemon goes mid-range and the Harquebuses flank. I think it works ok.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:36 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Not bad, SC, but I think I'd drop one set of riflemen and the Izumi (though they were my favourite unit from the MS), for the Tagawa Samurai. The gives you something other than Kaemon with decent offensive ability (although WTF can make the riflemen good). Only thing that would still bother me about that army is only having one unit with more than one life.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
Hmm... Maybe the price is so high because you can stack Hamtaro and Raelin on them, which you can't do with the 4th... They have an attack of 4 with height with a formidable Hamtaro boosted 4 defense... Entrenched on a hill they could become a formidable threat.

Though, of course, the Tagawa Archers can do all that, with only one less attack die, a much higher defense, and counter-strike.

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Like the Roman Archers, I would pretty much never draft these guys without Raelin.
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:22 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
I think they are easily worth 60 points. Sure, they're no 4th, but not everything in the game can be just totally outstanding.

Compare them to Arrow Gruts. You get another attack and another unaided attack die per round for only 20 points more (plus the ability to get another attack die with Wait Then Fire).

Compare them to Tagawa Samurai Archers. You get an extra attack and the possibility of an extra attack die per round, but without counterstrike for 5 points less. Add in the fact that you can Wait Then Fire and I think that's an even trade off.

They can't benefit from being Disciplined like the 4th can from being Valiant, but they can fit into a Disciplined army nicely. Also, as someone else mentioned, for only 60 points, you can fit quite a few of these ancient warriors in your army.

I agree with Chimpy-they are worth their points but just aren't very exciting.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units