Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old September 10th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
NHSD in South Florida!! (Oct. 16)

We will be running our first National Heroscape Day tournament in South Florida this year. Every previous year, we have avoided the actual day of NHSD, since there have been other events. This time it is our turn and we hope that many Florida Scapers can join us.

I invite anyone interested in joining us for what I hope will be our largest event ever.

South Florida National Heroscape Day Tournament

What: Swiss style (4 rounds) Heroscape Tournament with Final Four

Why: NHSD!

When: Saturday, October 16, Noon-6pm

Where: CoolStuffGames: South Florida

5655 S. University Dr.
Davie, FL 33328

954-680-3929

$5 entry fee (goes to Final Four winnings pot for in-store credit)

475 point armies (with a 550 point total for the Final Four--must use the same original 475 point army, adding on new units to reach 550)

Only 1 A+ army card allowed per army (A+ army cards include Deathreavers, Major Q9, and Raelin (RotV)--you may have as many Deathreavers as you like and you may use Raelin (SotM) with another A+ unit)

24 space start zones

Maps

Quasatch Playground

I'm thinking about also using a few of the pending BOV nominees (maybe not pending for long)--ones that don't have any NO votes and in some cases were used at GenCon as well:

Tell Tale Forest (no image available)

Blackroot

Fulcrum

If you can't take the heat...

Jotun's Gap

We'll watch these and based on continued positive support, any of these may be chosen.)

More details

50 min. Swiss rounds and 4-people final, with partial point totals for unfinished matches (i.e. at 50 min. the games will be called, scores will be tabulated using the "Fractional Scoring" Rules in GrungeBob's Tourney Rules.)

Rough Schedule:
(11:00-12:00 - Set-up)
Noon-12:30 - Arrive, register, receive first map assignment (please be on time)
12:30-1:20 - First Round
1:30-2:20 - Second Round
2:30-3:20 - Third Round
3:30-4:20 - Fourth Round
4:30-5:00 - Score tabulations (4 semi-finalists determined), general prizes awarded, break for snacks/food
5:00-5:50 - Semi-Finals (Fifth Round for those interested)
6:00-6:50 - Finals (free play for everyone else)
7:00+ - Prizes, takedown, etc.

Glyphs:
Common Attack +1
Unique Attack +1
Defense +1
Move +2
Initiative +8
d20 +1
Healing
Wound

Treasure Glyphs (for Blackroot, for example):
Attack +1
Defense +1
Healing

Prizes Promised (I decided to do reverse alpha order this time, just to be fair):

Wizards of the Coast - 3 BftU (D&D) Master Sets; 1 wave of D2 - arrived!
Wargamer's HQ - $25 gift certificate (x2) + some t-shirts - arrived!
Vixentor Games - Custom dice bowl - arrived!
Troll and Toad - Looks to be sending some really cool things, more details soon
Miniature Market - Ten $10 gift certificates - arrived!
HouseMouse - $25 gift certificate - arrived!
CoolStuffInc - has something in the works, probably some boosters, more info to come

Please support these sponsors. These are the companies that help make our events possible and the Heroscape community better. Please remember them as you make purchases.

RSVPs:
1Mmirg +2 (+3?)
Mmirg's Princess
rudyvalentine +1
Boondocksaint +1 (?)
Grail +2
Blue Dane +2
Mr. Jumpy +1 (+2?)
rottiepaws (?)
millermixture +1 (?)
pstitle +1
justncaseur1-2 ?
Roderick2012 +1 ?

Last edited by 1Mmirg; October 15th, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old September 11th, 2010, 11:16 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: South Florida Scapers NHSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
475 point armies (with 75 point reinforcements for the Final Four)
One question about how reinforcements work: If my army comes to 470 and I make it to the final four and get 75 points for reinforcements, can I use the 5 points I was short with 75 points to reach 80 points?

To phrase it another way, do we play it as you are allowed to go up to 550 points in the final four or do we play it as you can add 75 points to your existing army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Maps

Thoughts so far:

Quasatch Playground
(I'm thinking about also using a few of the pending BOV nominees (maybe not pending for long)--ones that don't have any NO votes and in some cases were used at GenCon as well:
Tell Tale Forest
Blackroot
Fulcrum
If you can't take the heat...
Jotun's Gap
We'll watch these and based on continued positive support, any of these may be chosen.)
I really like Jotun's Gap and If you can't take the heat... as well as many of the other nominated maps right now.
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: South Florida Scapers NHSD

Thanks for the post. Yes, 550 becomes the new total, you can add more than 75 points, if you played with less than that previously.

I'll reword the first post to match.

Also, I've made some calls and while conversation is light here, we are getting a few more RSVPs. I'm looking forward to this!
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Adrian Monk

Re: NHSD in South Florida!! (Oct. 16)

Just a note, millermixture is looking to join us and is wondering if players are interested in his custom tiles.

You might recall we used his mirror tiles at our epic game day (blue mirror on the ice, green in the swamp, and red on the lava). These are truly great additions to any map--absolutely perfect for scenario play or for marking key points on a map, etc.
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:32 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I really like our map selection. With the exception of Quasatch Playground, I think these are all maps that we have not played on at previous game days/tournaments.

I just played a game tonight on Noctis and really enjoyed it. Just throwing it out there for what it's worth. 1Mmirg, it was your comment on it a few days ago in the BOV discussion thread that lead me to take a look at it.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Adrian Monk

Thanks. I haven't had a chance to play the revised version. It would be fun to have another BftU map. Anyone else have any feelings on this one?

Given that we have so many BOV (or almost BOV maps) available that we haven't used, I'm leaning toward sticking to those for this tourney, but I really, really did like this map--it just needed some balance issues worked through and it would have been great.

I'll take another look. And, again, I'm interested in anyone else's thoughts on this one as well.

Thanks for posting this one up. I really would like to re-nominate it for the BOV, if it's fixed it's earlier issues.
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Adrian Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocksaint
Wow some good looking prizes! And looks to be an amazing turn-out, Well it looks like Rebecca and I will be comming to your tournment after all. We talked and just liked the point total a little bit better. Plus, I have a really cool army idea.

Quick question. First tournment I played we had to report our reinforcments. At several other tournments and gencon, you do not. Leaves a bit of tactical planning once you see who your oppenents are in the final 4. Not a huge deal but can make a difference, especially if you play down a few points before the finals. Just seeing if you have a ruling on this.

Thanks!
Boondocksaint asked this in our main thread, so I'm posting it here as well, for anyone looking for this information.

Here is my answer (as you can see, this is not absolute yet, so feel free to say something--if no one speaks up, we'll run it this way):

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg
Wonderful--it will be great to have you guys out for this!

The prizes do look good--and hopefully there is still more to come. I'm working on it. (Sandra's $25 GC came through (House Mouse, I should say), and I'm hoping that tomorrow brings some good mail from most of the others!)

As to reinforcements, I was thinking of doing it GenCon style. You can choose your extras based on what you see in the Final Four. It is a nice way to add a tiny bit of drafting to the game.

My plan is that someone (me or someone not in the Final Four if I happen to make it) would act as recorder. That all the Final Four would write down their addition(s) and then report privately to the recorder, so there is no info leakage--the drafting happens simultaneously and privately. (Does that make sense? We haven't done reinforcements like this before, so I'm open to thoughts or refinements on this.)

With relatively mild reinforcements, I don't think this will be too big a deal. But, again, let me know your thoughts.

I'll also post this over in the NHSD thread, so the info is there as well.
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Adrian Monk

First, it looks like Troll and Toad and CoolStuffInc are adding to our prize pool--hurray for our excellent Heroscape sponsors!

Second, I have some questions about maps (and glyphs):

Blackroot uses Treasure Glyphs. Oops. I forgot. The map uses face up t-glyphs, so no traps needed--that will keep that part easy.

For the T-glyphs, I decided to keep it simple and just to use the basic from the BftU set (i.e. Attack +1, Defense +1, and Healing). The other glyphs vary quite a bit in their effectiveness and I'm not comfortable yet throwing them into a tourney setting.

Any issues with this?

Jotun's Gap I recently realized (can't believe I missed this--but I'm not alone) that Jotun's Gap has glyphs in places that only a single hex unit can stand. Apparently it was good enough for GenCon, but I do worry about that.

Should we use Jotun's Gap or not?

If anyone out there feels that the single hex only access to glyphs on the map is a real issue, I'll pull the map immediately. Speak up and let me know what you think. (Here or in a PM.)
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Roderick2012 Woo who?

Everything sounds great, but why Wound? is the worst possible glyph you can use in a tourny. It destroys balance and strategy. IMO it should never be used.

Check out my custom cards.
Roderick2012's Customs
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Adrian Monk

We've used Wound in all our tourneys. It makes the glyph important--worth contesting--but is hardly more powerful than the constant and sustained bonus that comes with an Attack +1, for example. Wound also ensures that people don't turtle--it encourages active play and not hiding, etc.

Is there something specific about it that you don't like? I'm open to your thoughts.

On another note:

I'm looking for help with maps.

I've got Jotun's Gap, Fulcrum, Blackroot, and Can't take the Heat already built.

I can do one more Jotun's Gap and one more Fulcrum, but that about taps me out. (I may have enough for Quasatch as well, I'll look.)

Anyone else able to bring a map? If so, which?

Set up starts at 11am.
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Adrian Monk

One more time: I can use a little help with set up and maps. Anyone else available to bring anything to help with set up? (Or just available to come help us set up at 11am or so?)

Thanks to Grail I think we might have the absolute minimum, but it might mean that we have to add in a map or two not listed above (i.e. something like Common Ground, just to have a single RotV map).

I'll do my best. My collection is decent sized, but not quite infinite .

(BTW, Vixentor's Dice Bowl came in today--yeah! Fun military style--anyone playing Sgt. Drake? )
Old October 15th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Boondocksaint knows what's in an order marker Boondocksaint knows what's in an order marker

We will try to get there a bit early to help set up. Not sure if Mark told you but he will not be comming, somthing at work came up. Have been to busy to try out any armies... I need to get one together! See you guys tomorrow!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day