Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

Old March 9th, 2024, 09:22 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Age of Annihilation Map Contest

@MegaSilver , if I'm using 2x Battle for the Wellspring, can I use 9 water tiles? Or do you want to save enough water for 2x Ewashia?

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old March 9th, 2024, 10:12 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
@MegaSilver , if I'm using 2x Battle for the Wellspring, can I use 9 water tiles? Or do you want to save enough water for 2x Ewashia?
For 2x BftWS, the cap is 6 water tiles, as the other water tiles belong to both Ewashia still.

Later on I'm sure those water tiles will be use for the BftWS maps, but for now we'll hold off.

Last edited by MegaSilver; March 9th, 2024 at 10:32 PM.
Old March 9th, 2024, 11:18 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm feeling like I know the answer, but can we use Treasure Glyphs?
Old March 10th, 2024, 11:11 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just set out the hexes and Ticalla jungle parts on my table for one of each set.
It's a fair amount to work with, but it feels really weird to be working with Jungle stuff without Swamp hexes and water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old March 10th, 2024, 11:21 PM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurrig View Post
I'm feeling like I know the answer, but can we use Treasure Glyphs?
No. They are not part of the sets.
Old March 11th, 2024, 04:23 PM

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Sluice Gate

Submission 1:
The Sluice Gate at Laur's Edge (VirtualScape)
(For PDF click here)

Back View
Top View
1x AoA, 1x BftWS, 1x LJ

Total counts:
8 24-hex Grass
7 7-hex grass
5 3-hex grass
6 2-hex grass
14 1-hex grass

2 24-hex Rock
4 7-hex Rock
1 3-hex rock
7 2-hex rock
6 1-hex rock

2 7-hex sand
1 3-hex sand
2 1-hex sand

23 standard water
7 wellspring water

Wall pieces (based on the photo, not on the original post):
8 pillars
4 small wall connectors
2 broken wall ends (or perhaps the broken one and a large one) to form the sluice gate itself.

5 jungle trees
6 jungle brush

I believe this is every part in the three AoA launch sets except for the large wall connector.

Flavor Description:

At Laur's Edge lies a minor wellspring on a hill, yet even these are of great value to the Valkyrie of Valhalla. In days long past, this wellspring was fortified with a sluice to control the flow of the magical waters. During storms, some of this water, diluted with rainwater, flows downhill in a stream, nourishing astonishingly large flora for Laur, before reaching the beginnings of an ancient canal at its foot, directing the flow toward the ancient ruins of a Kyrie stronghold.
Two squads approach the wellspring to stake their claim. They hear, but do not yet see, rumblings on the other side of the old canal walls, and prepare their weapons for inevitable combat.

Technical Description:

A symmetric map made using the three AoA launch sets. I have built rotationally symmetric maps before, but with these parts, I have an odd number of water (generally), Wellspring water, AND jungle trees. This necessitates mirror symmetry in order to use every part. Then, I had the idea of having both armies start at the foot of a hill, and make it on the same side of said hill. The new modular walls were a fast and easy way to prevent Syvarris, Deadeye Dan, or other ranged units from shooting over the gap between starting zones, and these can be easily contextualized as the start of a canal.
The jungle terrain allows for nice cover throughout, inhibiting range units somewhat, but the river and increasing height are the defining features. The FotA gate proxies for two new pillars, with the damaged wall segments intended to hang over the water representing the sluice, at which point they are removed (opening up the space for a unit to stand there), and dramatically altering how most units can navigate the hilly terrain.

Special rules:

At the beginning of the game, the Sluice Gate is closed, and all water hexes initially on the board (except the 2 Wellspring Water hexes and 4 ordinary water hexes on the top layer) are treated as Swamp Water instead of their usual type.

Any unit can, when ending its move on a Glyph of Brandar, choose to open the sluice gate. When opened, remove both Glyphs of Brandar from the battlefield.

Upon opening the gate all small or medium units on a water space lose their footing and are moved one space downstream if possible. Movement happens simultaneously, and if a directional choice is available, the player who opened the gate chooses the spaces. I'm sure you can figure it out. No unit moved in this way will take any leaving engagement attacks. (Yes, if a small or medium unit opens the gate, that unit WILL land in the wellspring tile below and be forced to drink). Units cannot move onto or off of an Ice tile created by Greater Ice Elemental as a result of opening the gate.

Following this, all water tiles behave according to how they actually are (water or Wellspring water as appropriate).

Immediately after opening the gate in this way, each unit (irrespective of current health, or even being a Hero) on a Wellspring tile makes a Wellspring water tile roll (roll a d20, on a 12+, heal 1, on a 1 or 2, suffer two wounds) as if accidentally swallowing some water (even Large/Huge units that were not moved).

Any water tiles placed by Ewashia are always considered ordinary water, and NEVER considered part of the stream.

Optional bonus rule?: Any unit may, after the sluice gate has been opened, move downstream through water as with ordinary terrain. Any lateral or upstream movement will end a unit's move as normal. Any figure choosing to move with the flow in this manner must end its movement on a water hex.

Final note: Why don't we have mirrored 24-hex pieces? Renegade plz.

IRL pictures, since Ticalla foliage in VirtualScape doesn't look very impressive.

Edit: There's a minor mistake in the instructions with a 2-hex sand piece instead of two single-hex sand pieces. These are just used to support the hill.

Quote:

Last edited by Nukatha; March 12th, 2024 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added PDF
Old March 11th, 2024, 04:55 PM

Looks like you need to add the start zone locations. Which I forgot to add to the OP.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting a submission with custom rules either. Which is fine. This contest is more intended for competitive maps. Which I also realize I was not clear about. My apologies for both mistakes.

I do like the direction you're going with the map design. I don't think we've seen a map like this one before or at least not for a while
Old March 11th, 2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Looks like you need to add the start zone locations. Which I forgot to add to the OP.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting a submission with custom rules either. Which is fine. This contest is more intended for competitive maps. Which I also realize I was not clear about. My apologies for both mistakes.

I do like the direction you're going with the map design. I don't think we've seen a map like this one before or at least not for a while
Darn it. I thought the upload captured the version with the start zones.
The nice thing is, it is perfectly playable without the gimmick.

Quote:

Last edited by Nukatha; March 11th, 2024 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Reupload completed, now with starting zones.
Old March 11th, 2024, 09:37 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post

Darn it. I thought the upload captured the version with the start zones.
The nice thing is, it is perfectly playable without the gimmick.
Not to pile on, but it also looks like you've attached the .hsc file, not the PDF with the build instructions.
Old March 11th, 2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Not to pile on, but it also looks like you've attached the .hsc file, not the PDF with the build instructions.
Can you tell that I haven't used VirtualScspe in a few years? Thanks for the reminder. I'll generate and upload it shortly.

Quote:
Old March 11th, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Quote:
Can you tell that I haven't used VirtualScspe in a few years? Thanks for the reminder. I'll generate and upload it shortly.
Haha, if you need help with anything feel free to send me a PM or message me on discord
Old March 11th, 2024, 10:09 PM

Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness Myriadite wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's a very neat map! I like the story behind it and the special rules.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games