Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old December 14th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thoughts on the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Hobbit has now been released in the US, and I was at the midnight showing last night. I'm going to post my review of it (it will have spoilers) and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on it as well.

Disclaimer-this initial review is only from one viewing of the 2D, 24 fps, version. I will see the 3D, 48 fps, Dolby Atmos on Saturday and post my second thoughts then. I'll also note, I am a long time fan of Tolkien, have read Hobbit, LOTR, and Silmarillion, multiple times, and while I'm definitely not on the level of someone like Professor Corey Olson, I know more than the general movie going public.

I really hate saying this, but I was kinda disappointed. Granted, in retrospect, I think my expectations were too high, without knowing what direction they were taking the film (more child-like or more LOTR-like). I also think the parts I didn't like are sticking in my mind more than the parts I did like, which may change after my next viewing.

Anyway, lets get started.

Loved the beginning. I was a surprised they did the same type of introduction, with a narrated flashback just like FOTR, but I thought it worked well. We saw more of Smaug here than I thought we would, with the scene of his tail, and I can't wait to see the rest of him. He's not as red as I imagined, but we'll have to wait and see what he's truly like.

Hobbiton possessed some of my favorite scenes. I loved how they incorporated so many lines from the book into the script, many word for word. The Chip the Glasses song was well done and did not some cheesy to me. Far Over the Misty Mountains was chilling, as always, and I glad it was a expanded over what was in the trailer.

The Trolls was another scene I thought they did very well. How they talked and acted was a very good mix of humour, yet still frightening. They were funny and stupid, but you knew they were dangerous, all the same.

Here is where the movie started going down hill for me. I don't know what to think of the Azog storyline. I understand them wanting a main evil guy they can set up and defeat later (now they have Smaug, Azog, and the Necromancer to defeat epically in the upcoming movies). I didn't like the wargs and goblins being on the West side of the mountains. It just too soon to bring them in.

Radagast was curious. I liked how much of his affinity for animals they showed, but I could have done without the bird's nest under his hat and the feces down his face. The spider attack was underwhelming, but I'm also glad they didn't reveal too much of the spiders already. Dul Guldur was enjoyable and reasonably freaky, with the introduction of the Necromancer, and his bunny sled wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be (it really seemed to work). I can't wait to find out how the Radagast storyline is going to conclude (dying, going off somewhere, etc. Some reason why he's not in the LOTR).

Rivendell was beautiful, like always. The White Council was fascinating, and I enjoyed just listening to them talk. I don't know how I feel about the mind-reading back and forth between between Gandalf and Galadriel, or Galadriel's whole disappearing stunt. (She supposed to have some telportation ability, or was she in his head the entire time?) Have to wait till later for my conclusion on that.

The Goblin Caves. Just way too cheesy. That's the main thing I can say. I really wish it hadn't been so cheesy. The Great Goblin was reasonably grotesque, but I wish the goblins had been more like the Moria goblins from FOTR than these pale things. All of the running around, swinging on bridges, sliding down steep slopes, was just too much.

Riddles in the Dark!! One of the most iconic scenes in the all literature, and for me, the most eagerly anticipated (and most nerve-racking) in the entire movie. I was very very pleased with it. I liked that the riddles used were nearly word for word from the book (i figured they weren't going to use every riddle). Gollum was reasonably sympathetic, (especially with the tear) but you still knew he was corrupted.

Out of the Frying Pan, and Into the Fire. I loved that this line was word for word in the movie and that the pine cone fire grenades were included. Eagles, were underwhelming for me, I so wanted them to speak.

Ending. Very much how I expected, with the close in on the mountain, and ending on the eye of the dragon.

Well, there's my review of the movie in brief, and there's a lot more I could say. I'm excited to see it again tomorrow, and see what sticking out to me then. Now that I know what to expect my opinion may be very different the second time around.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what other people thoughts about The Hobbit were.

OG Heroscape collection completed on 6/21/2016!

The new collection begins...again...hopefully...at some point...maybe...CMON Renegade!

Last edited by Garenex; December 14th, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:07 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Thoughts on the Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garenex View Post
I can't wait to find out how the Radagast storyline is going to conclude (dying, going off somewhere, etc. Some reason why he's not in the LOTR).
Radagast is in the Lord of the Rings.
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garenex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Quote:
I can't wait to find out how the Radagast storyline is going to conclude (dying, going off somewhere, etc. Some reason why he's not in the LOTR).
Radagast is in the Lord of the Rings.

In the books yes, since he's playing a decently large part in these movies, my guess is they will come up with something to explain why he was not included in the LOTR movies.

The new collection begins...again...hopefully...at some point...maybe...CMON Renegade!
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I am not surprised this one underwhelmed. Fellowship is easily the weakest movie in the LotR. It is all build up. Smaug is where its at for this story.
"Revenge?"
"You?"
"Hah"
"I am Smaug"

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 14th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I am not surprised this one underwhelmed. Fellowship is easily the weakest movie in the LotR. It is all build up. Smaug is where its at for this story.
"Revenge?"
"You?"
"Hah"
"I am Smaug"
This is definitely my opinion as well. I feel like once it's able to be watched in contrast with the other movies it'll appear better (though I don't like feeling like we're making excuses).

Old December 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Well the animated version does a great job in 90 minutes. I have a hard time understanding why this needed to be three 2.5-3 hour movies.
Smaug me.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:45 PM

Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby! Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby! Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby! Eraguy816 rolls all skulls baby!

Yeah. Who knows. One 2.5-3 hour movie that's more realistic.

My Youtube Channel

Eraguy816 is

in the Epic Fairyland Cave
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:59 AM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

Look, all it means is more Middle-Earth screen time for us. I for one am fine with another trilogy.

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Your wish is my command, Chief Underpants Eater

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The biggest issue for me was how they decided to depict the dwarfs. Half looked ridiculously over "Dwarf like". The other half just look like long haired slightly bearded kids that play in a band.

I understand why they choose to go with the more human features. The audience needs to see the facial features of the protagonists in order to empathize with their characters emotions. It is hard to stair at a face of hair and cheeks for nearly 3 hours and feel like you bonded with the characters.

But that facet alone was enough for me to not enjoy the film. Even if they had done them like I would have preferred, the rest of the film was a huge let down anyway. I'll just re-watch the animated one I remember as a child and forget I ever watched the new one.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
"Revenge?"
"You?"
"Hah"
"I am Smaug"
This is definitely my opinion as well. I feel like once it's able to be watched in contrast with the other movies it'll appear better (though I don't like feeling like we're making excuses).
I haven't seen it (going tomorrow), but I have to agree with this...we can't expect the first 3hrs of an assuming 9hr trilogy to be the best (right now). The rising actions are always the most boring part of a movie/book. Once we get the next 3hrs, we can start piecing it together. Then at then end of 9hrs hopefully our $30+ on tickets will have been worth seeing what was supposed to be a short trilogy.
Old December 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Saw the movie last night. I thought it was good. Not as good as the LotR movies, though neither was the book IMO.

Some of the dwarves didn't look very dwarvish, but they've said multiple times that they had to make the 13 dwarves identifiable throughout the movie which is totally understandable and that they did.

My favorite part by far was the eagles.

Also we played through the Hobbit Saga expansion in the LotR: LCG the night before we saw the movie. It was cool to see how well they adopted the book / movie into the card game.

Oh and Dwalin rocks!!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old December 15th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

PJ continues to pour contempt on Tolkien lore, my quick take.

Did he really have to mess with the back story so much? It was completely unnecessary to mangle the War of the Dwarves and Orcs and the story of Thror, Thrain and Thorin. If you needed an orc villian, why not just drag Bolg, son of Azog into the story early. You will need him in the end anyway. Unless...

Please don't tell me PJ is substituting Azog for Bolg at the Battle of Five Armies.

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies