Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Spike TV's Deadliest Warrior

Did anyone else see this show on Spike TV? It pits two warriors from history against each other using scientific weapons testing and computer simulations to determine who would prevail in combat. This week it was the gladiator versus an apache indian. It was pretty cool to see the devastation some of these ancient weapons can inflict. It reminded me of Heroscape, especially with all the speculation that wave nine just might provide the exact match-up featured in the first episode.

The show airs Tuesdays at 10 pm. It's sort of CSI meets Myth Busters meets professional wrestling. I liked it.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:57 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Spike TV's Deadliest Warrior

So who won?

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:54 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post
So who won?
Spoiler Alert!
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post
It reminded me of Heroscape, especially with all the speculation that wave nine just might provide the exact match-up featured in the first episode.
This is a total Wave 9 tie in! If "Brawlers" turn out to be a Gladiator squad and the "Braves" are Apache....I will be amazed. Also, it looks like an upcoming episode will feature pirates.

I thought the show was pretty good. Some of the macho posturing was a bit silly and it was a little "pseudo-science-ish", but when the trident went into the dummy's guts and blood came squirting out, I was like "yeah, this is a cool show!"

I'm curious about the simulation they are running...i have a feeling it is not as scientific as they are letting on....

If they had run the simulation in an arena, no question the Gladiator would win.

I'm keeping an eye on this show!
http://www.spike.com/show/31082

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:11 AM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation

that simular show had we in germany ninja vs elit soldier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTmag...eature=related

it it so a trash how the try to find ist out.

now germans know ninjas s u ck , elite soldiers rules
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM

Levi Woo who?

I like that they run the simulation 1000 times and show you the results. I was surprised how narrowly some of these battles were won.

Someone needs to build a program like that for HS where we could put in 2 figures (or 2 500 point warbands) and run 1000 outcomes.

So far, there has been 3 shows:
Apache v Gladiator (4/7)
Viking v. Samurai (4/14)
Ninja v. Spartan (4/21)

All battles are simmed out by live actors as to illustrate the computer model results.

No one gets home field advantage like a gladiatorial arena or anything.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart

I've been watching this; first off, I'm glad someone finally made this show. It's needed to be done for years.

However, a couple of criticisms; first, they seem to only examine weapon strengths of the combatants. Whilst I agree that whoever has the more able ranged weaponry will ultimately win more battles, certain important details have been omitted or glossed over. Sticking a Gladiator in a wooded area where the Apache can easily outrun him gives a distinct advantage to the Apache, and, imo, if the Gladiator knew he was taking part in a contest in the wild open, he might opt for a different get up or attitude.

The Viking vs Samurai seemed a bit off too. The Samurai almost certainly would win 1vs1, but the type of viking warrior they classified was a "grunt" - a tough bastard, I know, but in the way a Marine is a hardnut, but compared to a Green Beret or SEAL, he's got a lot to learn - now a Samurai was obviously the absolute warrior elite in Japan, but in Scandanavia, there were warriors who used the berserkergang tactic (psychological and chemical enhancements) and were probably far more cunning that to run straight toward an enemy archer!

Finally, I am peeved theres no S.A.S! I understand the GB's and Spetznatz are in (if anyone has read Preacher, you might see why I am rooting for Spetznaz in this case) as special forces, but the S.A.S (well, their formal predecessors) were the first modern special forces in the west. But this is just a typical Euryon "WHERES THE BRITS!?" opinion

Anyway, the show is pretty good, I just wish theyd account for more than weapons, and try and include particular abilities and preferences of the warriors.

Oh, and heres the episode schedule;
Quote:

Season 1, Episode 1: Gladiator vs. Apache
Original Air Date—7 April 2009
An Apache - the greatest stealth fighter in American History, versus a Gladiator - crowd-thrilling killer of ancient Rome. It's stone versus steel, devious against direct, surprise versus slaughter, as these two go toe to toe in a no-holds barred battle to the death.
Next US airings:
Wed. Apr. 22 9:00 PM SPIKETV
Sat. Apr. 25 9:00 PM SPIKETV
Season 1, Episode 2: Viking vs Samurai
Original Air Date—14 April 2009

Viking versus Samurai. The savage Scandinavian raider that plundered Europe for three hundred years, against the blinding speed and skill of Japan's elite warrior class. It's power versus speed, ax against sword, berserk rage against precision, as these heavily armored legends face off in a battle to the death.
Next US airings:
Sat. Apr. 25 10:00 PM SPIKETV
Sun. Apr. 26 3:00 PM SPIKETV
Sat. May 2 5:30 PM SPIKETV

Season 1, Episode 3: Spartan vs Ninja
Original Air Date—21 April 2009
Spartan vs Ninja - the ultimate bronze age warrior meets the silent assassin from Japan.
Next US airings:
Sat. Apr. 25 11:00 PM SPIKETV
Sun. Apr. 26 4:00 PM SPIKETV

Season 1, Episode 4: Pirate vs Knight
Original Air Date—28 April 2009
A Pirate - the merciless high seas marauder; versus a Knight - the armored battle tank that crushed infidels underfoot. It's an explosive, bloody battle between two fighters who hate everything the other stands for - pistols versus crossbow, gunpowder against armor, and cutlass versus a spiked ball of death.
Next US airings:
Tue. Apr. 28 10:00 PM SPIKETV
Wed. Apr. 29 11:00 PM SPIKETV
Sat. May 2 7:30 PM SPIKETV

Season 1, Episode 5: Yakuza vs Mafia
Original Air Date—5 May 2009
Mafia - the deadly crime family that rule New York's 1920's underworld, versus Yakuza - feared gang lords that dominate the mean streets of 1940's Tokyo. Their bloody turf war to decide who is deadliest will be settled with machine guns, sawed off shotguns, pistols, bats, nunchukus and icepicks.

Season 1, Episode 6: Green Beret vs Spetznaz
Original Air Date—12 May 2009
Green Beret - America's elite special force, versus Spetznaz - Russia's top-secret, top-notch commandos. Trained to kill anyone, any when, anywhere - these super soldiers use a devastating array of weapons and tactics. It's the best of the west against the beast from the east in a post cold war showdown.

Season 1, Episode 7: Maori Warrior vs Shoalin Monk
Original Air Date—19 May 2009
One fights for perfection; the other to honor his ancestors. A Shoalin Monk - the ultimate pacifist killing machine from China versus a Maori - fierce, bone-crushing warrior from New Zealand. Steel whips, metal spikes and wickedly versatile hooks versus wood, shark teeth, stingray spines and stone. The hardest weapon on the battlefield is not made of steel.

Season 1, Episode 8: William Wallace vs Shaka Zulu
Original Air Date—26 May 2009
Both fight for revenge. Both built an army to spill the blood of their enemies. Deadliest Warrior gets personal with a battle between two of the greatest warrior-generals that ever lived. William Wallace - claymore wielding wild man from Scotland versus Shaka Zulu whose ferocity, speed and toughness became legend.

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euryon View Post
Finally, I am peeved theres no S.A.S! I understand the GB's and Spetznatz are in (if anyone has read Preacher, you might see why I am rooting for Spetznaz in this case) as special forces, but the S.A.S (well, their formal predecessors) were the first modern special forces in the west. But this is just a typical Euryon "WHERES THE BRITS!?" opinion
SAS isn't in because they were trying to be fair. How's this for SAS love? (shameful plug warning. Be gentle, I'm new to making custom units)
Old April 26th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well for those who are interested in this series, Season 2 came on last week. I got this article on Spike's website. There's also talk of a Deadliest Warrior Game for Xbox Live Arcade, so whenever that comes out you should check it out

On April 20th, SPIKE's Deadliest Warrior is back with a new axe to grind. We are bringing history's most legendary killing machines back to life for another round, and we'll test their weapons, strength, and skills to find out once and for all - who is deadliest. Tune in April 20th, at 10pm/9c, and hit the jump to see the warrior match-ups for Season 2!

SWAT vs. GSG-9

Attila the Hun vs. Alexander the Great

Aztec Jaguar vs. Zande Warrior

Jesse James Gang vs. Al Capone Gang

Persian Immortal vs. Celt

Roman Centurion vs. India's Rajput Warrior

Somali Pirate vs. Medellin Cartel

Nazi SS vs. Viet Cong

KGB vs. CIA

Vlad the Impaler vs. Sun Tzu

Ming Warrior vs. Musketeer

Comanche vs. Mongol

Navy Seal vs. Israeli Commando

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old April 26th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

They also had a special on before the first episode of season 2 where winning warriors from season one fought against one another. I'm not sure if it was a repeat from last season or not.

They had:

Spartan Vs. Samurai
IRA Vs. Spetsnaz

Old April 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabSheila View Post
They also had a special on before the first episode of season 2 where winning warriors from season one fought against one another. I'm not sure if it was a repeat from last season or not.

They had:

Spartan Vs. Samurai
IRA Vs. Spetsnaz
Who won?
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
Who won?
I'll send you a pm so I don't spoil it for anybody who wants to try and catch it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV