Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Old October 19th, 2010, 12:41 AM

Wild_Imagination Woo who?
Lightbulb A Vydar Elemental for Kurrok to summon....

I thought metal would be Vydar's preferred element, that and tough. So I picked AD&D's elemental wall to be (of course need to be repainted with metal paint colors) Vydar's Metal Elemental Wall...

So far I've been recommended to go ahead and make it just a "construct" and increase movement by one if that was why I made it a guard (which is was, but still think this comes off like a guard. Also suggested was to increase the defense ... don't know if that would be good since the point cost would probably have to be modified. I made the personality Tricky since most of Vydar's armies are tricky, but I think Relentless might work ... but don't know what personality should be given to a metal elemental.

The defense was thought to be too low for a wall, but I did give it an automatic shield with 3 more dice that can be rolled for defense.

I like the blocking ranged attacks and tried to word it so area attacks are also prevented against the protected figure. It was offered that a power forcing ranged attacks to target the wall be used, but that would still allow for area attacks and not necessarily require the protected figure to be adjacent.

Didn't know how to work the immunity for future abilities, thought that Trample Stomp and Chomp really need a figure that is a direct counter to them. But, I did think that Chill Touch would be able to affect the elemental. Would a flat immunity to any D20 attack be better? Would the point cost need to be changed to reflect that power?

If the MEW did have immunity to D20 attacks, that would make it immune to Searing Intensity. Would that make the Fire Elementals, too powerful?

Last edited by Wild_Imagination; October 19th, 2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:00 AM

VIRTU knows what's in an order marker VIRTU knows what's in an order marker
Re: A Vydar Elemental for Kurrok to summon....

Looks pretty good. You could probably even make his Move, Attack and/or Defense higher. I like the idea of him being a guard, though the other elementals are all constructs. I wonder what Ullar would have? A tree?

Old October 19th, 2010, 01:27 AM

Exclamation Re: A Vydar Elemental for Kurrok to summon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRTU View Post
Looks pretty good. You could probably even make his Move, Attack and/or Defense higher. I like the idea of him being a guard, though the other elementals are all constructs. I wonder what Ullar would have? A tree?
D&D's Wood Woad would work. Would it be a Wood elemental or a Nature elemental?

Have no clue what powers it should have.... Maybe a regenerate power when in water & 2 life... (otherwise regeneration would be meaningless).
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM

Post Re: A Vydar Elemental for Kurrok to summon....

Here's a revised version of the Metal Elemental Wall. Removed "guard" type and added a permanent +1 to movement and make it Move 4. Changed the wording so it's immune to all D20 attacks unless the attacker has Lava Resistance. Figured 98% of all fire based figures would have Lava Resistance ... plus it prevented Fire Elementals from hiding next to the elemental wall making them even more powerful (i.e. Searing Intensity will still effect MEW).

Still want the wall seen as more of a defensive than offensive, so left the Attack 2 ... plus it sort of balances out the powers so the 35 point cost doesn't need increasing.
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Nostradumbass

DrAwsm is surprisingly tart

How about instead of Wall Protection, you have some sort of screen enhancing ability?

Combined Force
For every Metal Elemental adjacent to this one, add one to its defense value.

This would give incentive to field more than one. That, and your range could last a little longer.
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I'd lower his range to 1 and bump his move up to 5. At move 4 he is unplayably slow.

Here's my attempt to capture what you want in three powers:
Metal Defense - When rolling defense dice against an attack add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled unless the attacker is Lava Resistant.

Wall Protection - Small and medium adjacent friendly figures roll one additional defense die against non-adjacent normal attacks.

Heavy Metal - Metal Elemental Wall may at any time be size Large. Its height does not change.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper View Post
I'd lower his range to 1 and bump his move up to 5. At move 4 he is unplayably slow.

Here's my attempt to capture what you want in three powers:
Metal Defense - When rolling defense dice against an attack add one automatic shield to whatever is rolled unless the attacker is Lava Resistant.
The Metal Defense was to block against D20 attacks. Namely Trample Stomp and Chomp, but there are a lot of D20 attacks that bypass defense dice being rolled. The Lava Resistant is to prevent powering up FE due to hiding behind the wall ... although FE really on help if they are sent directly adjacent to the opponent's army.

Quote:
Wall Protection - Small and medium adjacent friendly figures roll one additional defense die against non-adjacent normal attacks.
One extra defense die doesn't really protect all that much. I gues the Wall Protection I gave them is too powerful for their cost. Maybe it should work like the Nikita Agent's smoke screen.

Quote:
Heavy Metal - Metal Elemental Wall may at any time be size Large. Its height does not change.
Never tried to change it's height. Don't know what changing it's height would accomplish other than adjacency or movement up steep inclines or prevent damage from falling. Not really a power for a wall, but does sound intriguing for a Juggernaut figure.
Old October 20th, 2010, 04:48 AM

Think Wall Protection would work as 1 automatic shield for each adjacent Metal Elemental Wall, with a max of 2 against normal & special ranged attacks wouldn't be to over powered for a 35 point figure?
Of course MEWs can't benefit from other MEWs Wall Protection? My goal is to provide other figures protection, but not themselves.
It would give a reason for multiples...

Having a wall that can move 5 still seems wrong. But it would slow the game down if it wasn't faster... Mainly saw these as a mobile barricade for your start zone. *shrug*
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Imagination View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyscaper
Never tried to change it's height. Don't know what changing it's height would accomplish other than adjacency or movement up steep inclines or prevent damage from falling. Not really a power for a wall, but does sound intriguing for a Juggernaut figure.
The point was to make him immune to Trample Stomp and Chomp, actually, and certain other powers you'd probably also want him to doge (Paralyzing Stare, for instance). Maybe should have been Huge, even.

Making him immune to all rolls of a d20 is just wrong, so I tried to get what you wanted another way.

Good luck with your custom(s).

= =
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Imagination View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyscaper
The point was to make him immune to Trample Stomp and Chomp, actually, and certain other powers you'd probably also want him to doge (Paralyzing Stare, for instance). Maybe should have been Huge, even.

Making him immune to all rolls of a d20 is just wrong, so I tried to get what you wanted another way.

Good luck with your custom(s).
If the Metal Elemental Wall had more than 1 life, sure a immunity against D20 attacks would be a major power and the point value would have to show it. But an immunity like this with a 1 life figure (only one per card) ... it would be just a speed bump causing over powered figures to actually attack instead of using their D20 super power that is neither a normal attack, nor a special attack.
A paralyzing stare would be an offensive, not a defensive like I felt the wall should be.
I forgot that Trample Stomp, Chomp and a number of other D20 attacks specify small or medium figures only. I'll do some more research on D20 attacks and weigh the option of have a "grow" power instead.
The figure is big and bulky, but really only medium height. No way it could be huge ... especially compared next to a greater ice elemental. I really did want it medium so that Kurrok can bring it back into the game.
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

That's the whole point of my suggestion. Though you're not making it "Huge," in actual size, you are giving it the immunities of a large (or huge) figure. You are specifically *not* making it taller, that would have game consequences that you (correctly) want to avoid. It's simply an artificial way to say that, when the controller wants an immunity or protection normally afforded only larger figs, the wall gets it.

Paralyzing Stare was an example of another d20 power that you'd be defending against with that power; it's a d20 power belonging to Me Burq Sa & only affects small & medium.

It's just my suggestion, but I think it would be a novel mechanic that would resolve some of your d20 issues without going overboard or needlessly complicating things.

But it's your custom & I'll be interested to see what you come up with. No worries.

Cheers!

= =
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When and if you make these changes I'd also recommend cropping off the base. It'll do a lot for the card's appearance.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs