Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old September 26th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
South Florida Belated NHSD

RESULTS in Post 91.

DETAILS:

At War and Pieces in Davie (near Fort Lauderdale and Nova SouthEastern University--just south of the 595 and west of the Turnpike)

$6 entry fee (this total is divided out as the prize pot for the top players)

November 8

465 points

24 starting spaces

Armies without A+ units will receive a +1 to their SoS (A+ include Raelin (1.0/RotV), Major Q9, 4th Massachusetts, Marro Stingers, Deathreavers)

BoV maps - Flash Fire (w/o center glyph--just the two on the outside edges), Hot Heights, Ticalla Sunrise, Arctic Divide with normal snow (but still slippery ice) and no elevated areas in the start zone

I'm thinking of including a "BoV" Lexan map into the semi-finals (or finals)--both to say thanks to Cavalier for the donation and to give you all a chance to see these in action (as well as to give us a different map to play on)--thoughts?

Glyphs: defense +1, initiative +1, d20 +1, move +2, unique attack +1, common attack +1, healing, order intercept

50 min. Swiss rounds; 4-people final (with partial point totals for unfinished matches (i.e. at 50 min. the games will be called, units will be tabulated using the "Fractional Scoring" Rules in G-Bob's Tourney Rules.)

Rough Schedule:
(9:00-10:00 - Set-up)
10:00-10:30 - Arrive, register, receive first map assignment (please be on time)
10:30-11:20 - First Round
11:30-12:20 - Second Round
12:20-1:00 - Lunch Break (I recommend bringing something easy and quick to eat)
1:00-1:50 - Third Round
2:00-2:50 - Fourth Round
3:00-3:30 - Score tabulations (4 semi-finalists determined), general prizes awarded
3:30-4:20 - Semi-Finals (Fifth round for those interested + movie room for kids)
4:30-5:20 - Finals (& free play + movie room for kids)
5:30-6:00+ - Prizes, takedown, etc.
(I have added in a lunch break and dropped to 4 pre-semi-final Swiss rounds; the 5th round can be played during the semi-finals, for those interested. I hope this is agreeable to everyone.)

EXTRA PRIZES (yeah!):
HouseMouse has added a $25 gift certificate to our prize pool (thanks, Sandra!)
War and Pieces will give away in-store discounts for Strength of Schedule, Best Theme, and other certificates
Plus, RotV figures for certificate winners
20 coupons from WarGamersHeadquarters
Cavalier Games has donated 2 Lexan maps (one water and one grass)!!
Grungebob has donated to our event an Agent Skahen and 2 Woos (woo-hoo!)
Heroscape double edition comic book

Coming so far (approx. 24 signed up!):
rudyvalentine (+1)
Boondocksaint (+1)
Winter (+3?)
goodlatte
justincaseur1-2 (+1)
himsati
lfvjh (+1)
Kyrinn
Mike (+3?)
Blue Dane
Ant-Q9
Little Blue Dane
1Mmirg (+1)

Keep spreading the news!

Original post:

Unfortunately, I have an important conference that has come up the weekend of October 18, so I won't be able to make it to the FF2.0. (My luck on games in Orlando is remarkably crappy...)

But, I would like to have a NHSD celebration (even if unofficial and belated) down here in South Florida. I've talked to Joey, and War n Pieces is happy to welcome us back (and has some extra space as well now, he said).

So, looking at my calendar (and not wanting to interfer at all with Necro's work up north--I know we have a couple of people from down our way going up there), I am thinking that November 8 or November 22 might work. (We'd do something fairly similar to our last tourney--see South Florida Game Days, where you can read up on past details.)

What do you all think? How many players can come out for the day? If we have enough (at least 12, I'd say), we'll make it a tournament with prizes, etc.; if not, we'll just do a game day, I suppose.

Please share your ideas and inputs.

Last edited by 1Mmirg; November 10th, 2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Keeping things up to date
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: South Florida Belated NHSD

I'm very much looking forward to another tournament event in Ft. Lauderdale. I can do Nov. 8th, but can't do Nov. 22nd (my daughter's birthday).

I'll have to find out, but I could potentially bring three players with me for a total of 4 from the gulf coast.

Thank you Mmirg for getting this organized. I'll spread the word on the gulf coast.

Rudy (Mark)
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

You rock. Much thanks!

Since you spoke first, we'll give Nov 8 precedence, unless there is a raft of players that can only do Nov 22. (Let me know, please, everyone else if the 22nd really does work better--nothing is decided/firm until I hear from more players...)

Look forward to seeing you again Mark and meeting some new gulf Scapers!

(BTW, I understand about birthdays--that is one reason I have been MIA recently: all three of my kids have birthdays within about one month's time! Then, my wife has hers only a few weeks later... Today is the last birthday party for the kids--love them, but I'm all worn out on parties for kids...)
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM

WinterIsComing is surprisingly tart

Looks Like I can do the 8th too. 22nd I might have a Cubscout activity to do. I should be able to bring 3 to 4 people. I'll confirm when we get closer.

My youngest son is turning 5 today, the party will be at little gym tomorrow. I am really looking forward to 30 kids screaming and running around for a couple hours. I feel your pain.

Valar Morghulis
Old September 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM

goodlatte is surprisingly tart

I'm good for the 8th of November as well! (likely better than the 22nd for me too).

I love the idea of tournament play as often as possible....$5 entry or whatever for some focused and timed gameplay.

For even more excitement and variety, I vote that we alternate our tournament meet-ups with 500-point and 300-point armies. The 500 point armies will train some of us to go to the big Heroscape tournaments and the 300-point armies make for quicker games, and (more importantly) an opportunity to see some different army configurations, opportunity for underdogs to surprise the topdogs, and some real variety in game play.

I think smaller armies could change the battlefield from stingers and krav maga to something different!!!

goodlatte
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Adrian Monk

This is great news. I think this will come together. I already have enough tentative players to approach online dealers about prize support. Please keep spreading the word!

Also:

goodlatte brings up a great point--what do we want to do in terms of points and any other rules?

I'd like to see us try something new (like 445) or something, but I am completely open to your other input and ideas. goodlatte, what are you suggesting for this tourney?

Are we all comfortable with a $5/6 entry fee (if we do 6, we don't have to worry about the tax thing Joey brought up last time)?

Do we want to put a Strength of Schedule bonus for not using A+ units? (Note: the Stingers are now A+.) Or do we have other ideas for keeping armies/games balanced and fun for all?

Any thoughts yet on maps, glyphs, etc.?

Look forward to your discussion and ideas.

(Winter, good luck--I'll feel your pain as 4 year olds take over my house today...)
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:26 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like the idea of higher point totals this time around. Anything over the 400 we did last time would allow for some new possibilities. In the 4 games I played last time, I only approached the time limit one time. Most of the games were over with plenty of time to spare.

I like the strength of schedule restriction on the A+ units too. They can still be used, but with a reasonable penalty.

Using the BoV maps was great last time. I'm happy to do that again, but I'm open to any ideas others have.
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:17 PM

WinterIsComing is surprisingly tart

This will be my frost Tourney so I don't really understand the need to mix up point vales. I do see the need for the strength of Schedule bonus though. $5/6 is fine with me as is BOV maps.

Valar Morghulis
Old September 26th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Adrian Monk

Changing the point values helps us to see new kinds of armies. If we play an even 500 pts. we will get a lot of the generic "Best of" armies that are here on the boards.

By doing something like 445 (435? 465?), we push people to be a bit more creative and come up with a (slightly) more original army.

I agree that the SOS bonus against A+ units makes sense (though I should add that many (even most, perhaps) tourneys do not do it) and I agree that BoV is the right way to go--but even there, there are several options...

FF2.0 added a SOS bonus for not using more than 3 of a common unit and a +1 to Frenzy rolls (as part of the theme). They've also kicked around requiring a single Huge figure, etc. The point is do we want to do any of these kinds of things, or keep it simple and just play a slightly odd point value. We don't even have to have the SOS for A+--or could turn it around and add a bonus for having a C or lower unit...

I'd like to keep it relatively simple, but I also want to hear what you all are thinking...
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Mmirg, I really like your idea of an odd point total. It forces some creativity and makes for some interesting army builds. 465 sounds good to me.

Even if most other tourneys don't use the SoS penalty for A+ units, I think it's fair and we should keep it. The idea of a boost for C or lower units is cool too. I'd be into trying that if it doesn't complicate things too much.

Requiring a huge figure on each army is interesting, but I'd prefer to have some flexibility and make that decision myself rather than have it be required.

I also like how we played the glyphs last time, limiting it to 'non-lethal' stuff.

That's my .
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:22 PM

justncaseur1-2 has disabled reputation

Me and my mom will be there.

Your Turn!!!
Old September 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Boondocksaint knows what's in an order marker Boondocksaint knows what's in an order marker

November 8 is best, right after the election so I'll some nice time off.

As far as I know, my girlfriend and I should be able to make it on that date. (not sure if Mark counted us as the ones he was bringing or if he had other people in mind.) I am all for trying some different stuff but I think we sould have 1 normal type of game so that new people like myself can see how real tournments work.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events