Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old November 11th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Maryland NHSD 11/9 Post Tourney thread

Greetings, all.

Another NHSD tournament in the books, marking my anniversary, of sorts, as a Heroscape tournament director. Sunday, November 7, 2010, I co-directed Heroes Gauntlet Run with drewcula as my first TD adventure.
It remains the most demanding format I've run, but (like all of them) it was hella fun. And I came in second, which was icing on the cake. Go Crixus!

For National Heroscape Day 2013 I ran a straight 400 point, 18 hex format. I was curious to see what my local buddies would do with an unrestrained format, and it turns out the answer was (as Ollie, Jexik, and others have always argued) this format encourages variety at least as much as any other.

The Pokemon tournament in our reserved game space filled every table for most of what would have been our first round, so we wrapped after 4 rounds instead of the 5 I was planning.

Here are the final results, my tournament report will be forthcoming in the next couple of days:

1. Drewcula WWWW 1600 (TKN, Nagrubs x4, Marro Warriors, Isamu)
2. DS 1367 WWWL 1367 (Cathar Spearmen x4, Count Raymond)
3. Bassist of Doom W*WWL 932 (Cyprien, Sonya, AE, MW, Eldgrim)
4. KidScaper WWLW 1553 (Zelrig, Phantom Knights x3)
5. Stephen WLWW 1440 (Zombies x5, Zombie Hulk, Siiv)
6. Gurei Ornery LWWW 1575 (Quahon, Spiders x4, MW)
7. Akden LWWW 1550 (Marcus, 10th x4)
8. JohnGee LW*WW 925 (Arktos, Darkclaws, Quickblades, Swiftfangs)
9. Bill WWLL 1219 (Cyprien, Sonya, Atlaga, AE)
10. Hivelord #4 WWLL 1150 (Torin, Stingers x3, Raelin RotV)
11. Twinkie WLWL 1308 (Major Q9, Krav, Kaemon Awa)
12. Robber WLWL 1045 (Some kind of cheese. I forget what.)
13. 10th Reg. WLLW 1325 (Zombies x5, Zombie Hulk, Earth Elemental)
14. Big Boa WLLW 1224 (Cathar Spearmen x2, Marro Gnids x2, Q10)
15. Clancampbell LWLW 1294 (Romans x2, Marcus, Raelin RotV, AE)
16. Kyle LLWW 1304 (10th x3, Red Wyrmlings x3, Raelin RotV)
17. kldonnelly WLLL 1326 (10th x4, Marcus)
18. Fayth the Unstoppable LWLL (Nakitas, Wyvern, Estivara, Otonashi, Isamu, Spiders x2)
19. Zach LWLL 952 (Phantom Knights x4, Hydra)
20. The Minute Men LLW*L (Zetacron, Wyrmlings Black x3, White x1, Blue x2, 4th Mass. x2)
21. Xanth LLWL 1301 (Cyprien, Sonya, Marro Drones x4)
22. Connor LLLW 984 (Sybarris, Vulcanmech Incendiborgs, MBS, PK's x1)
23. Gary LLLW* 509 (Romans x4, NGS, Marcus)

* ~ Bye (counts as a win with no partial card scoring)

So many interesting things in here, as usual, but the most striking thing for me is that 3 years, almost to the day, after I ran my first tournament with drewcula, I came in second to him at another NHSD event, the same final position I had then.

Second most interesting thing: In a completely open format, we had as many Zombie Hulks as we did Raelins.

I'll have more in the next couple of days. Thanks all for coming, and thanks to those who brought maps and/or traveled great distances to join us. You know who you are!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:36 PM

kldonnelly knows what's in an order marker kldonnelly knows what's in an order marker
Re: Maryland NHSD 11/9 Post Tourney thread

Thanks for running it! I had a lot of fun, even if Zelrig did chew through my 10th on the first turn.
Old November 14th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I had a blast! When's the next one

Round 1 vs Akden (10th Regiment x4, Marcus Decimus Gallus) on Draugur by Mad_Wookiee (modified slightly by JohnGee)

I led out with the Krav, who took down a squad of 10th in the first round. I probably could have played them better by saving them for the endgame, but they were alright this match. I didn't have a decent run with the krav all tournament, which I was a bit disappointed by, but I enjoyed using them. The 10th and Stingers fought for the majority of the battle, always on my side of the glaciers. I'm not sure a figure crossed into Akden's territory. I killed off the 16th (whew!) tenth reg with one stinger left and a life left on the Hydra. The hydra perched on height and finished off a full-life marcus for the win. 1-0

Round 2 vs Drewcula (Nagrubs x4, Tor-Kul-Na, Isamu, Marro Warriors. Drop a Grub) on Dance of the Dryads by Typhon2222.

I felt confident going into the game, but I overlooked the fact that Tor-Kul-Na could reach my starting zone in two turns. And he did. I positioned my stingers on the heights to the sides of the roads and drained every turn, (As opposed to once during my entire last game) trying to punish Tor-Kul-Na before he could do much damage. Crap rolls and a failed drain two rounds later, my starting zone was emptied of just about everything. I bet a round's worth of Order markers on the hydra in the third round after losing most of the squad figures. TKN one-shotted him. I lost after halving TKN's life and killing a handful of grubs. 1-1

Round 3 vs Andrew? (Zombies x5, Zombie Hulk, Earth Elemental) on Road Rampage by Ch1can0

I felt like I wanted to open with the krav again, mostly due to their superior range. I went for the hydra, though, for the pure pleasure of chewing through a horde. I forgot about the zombie's 6-attack ability, and his life was halved in the first turn of attacks. I took out maybe 4 zombies with the hydra before switching to the krav the next round. They perched on the height to the right of the bridge and began sniping off zombies as the road took them uncomfortably near the starting zone. I blocked off a road point near the river so that they couldn't hit my starting zone and start making babby zombies out of my deactivated stingers. In total, I killed off another 7 or 8 (though about half popped up again due to the krav dying). The stingers cleaned up the rest of the wave, leaving 3 in his starting zone along with the elemental and the hulk. I finished the rest off with ease and spent about 3 rounds keeping my stingers out of the way of the hulk while putting a couple bullets here and there into him. Win, 2-1

Round 4 vs Gueri Ornery (Spiders x4, Quahon, Marro Warriors) on the Borogroves by Typhon2222

Gueri had a really fun army in the fact that he could engage just about every one of my figures before I could snipe them off. He was also in my starting zone by the end of round 1 and was wiping everything out with Quahon. My dice sucked and he had height. After the stingers and Krav became a losing cause, I tried protecting my hydra for later but Gueri positioned the dragon out of reach (heh, reach )

This one was just as short as round 2, and just as brutal. I finished the tournament 2-2 with two major losses and two fun wins.

Themes:
-Tons of common squads.
-I lost against armies made of cheapo commons and bonding huge heroes
-I won against unbonding (but still synergising) medium-point common squads making up the majority of the army.
-I suck at playing on Typhon's maps :P
Old November 15th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

That, sir, is a superior tournament report! Excellent job.

Here's mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Tournament Report

NHSD 2013
11/9/13
Savage, Maryland

Format:
400 points, 18 hexes

Tournament thread here; post-tournament thread here.

I rolled out this format because it had been a while since we had a vanilla tournament, and I thought it was a suitable way to honor the game on National Heroscape Day.

From the beginning I knew what my army would be. I've only run a C3V build once before, and I wanted to go all in this time: Count Raymond, Cathar Spearmen x4. 390 points, 17 hexes.

We're on a tight schedule at The Family Game Store, and the Pokemon tournament overran our first round, so we only ended up doing 4 rounds. Luckily we finished with only one 4-0 player.

Round 1:

DS: Count Raymond, Cathar Spearmen x4
The Minute Men: Zetacron, Wyrmlings Black x3, White x1, Blue x2, 4th Mass. x2
Minutemen played this as well as he could, I think. He led with the Wyrmlings, putting his order markers on the right ones, as far as I could tell. Unfortunately for him, the Spearmen were too numerous for the Blacks, too tough for the White, and too numerous for the Blues. Still, Minutemen had successfully spread me out, and his 4th Mass. made a valiant last stand before I overran them.

This was a good map. Good use of road, good balance of height with lava field. I'd use it again.

1-0

Round 2:

Dry Season, by Killometer

DS: Cathar Spearmen x4, Count Raymond
Twinkie: Major Q9, Krav, Kaemon Awa

Twinkie and his brother Bassist of Doom are both tournament veterans now, and they are both routinely top finishers at our events. I was worried - with good reason - that I was going down this round.

Twinkie set up KA on one side and the Krav with Q9 on the other. I fanned out the Spearmen, sending one squad up the right hill and another up the left, bringing them slowly up and forcing him to stay honest with his OMs.

The Spearmen were mobile enough to get to the second level quickly, forcing Twinkie to be careful with his placement of the Krav. The Spearmen crept up behind the ruins on both sides and made occasional appearances in force on the high ground. After I knocked out a couple Krav, Twinkie switched his OMs to Q9. The Spearmen were durable enough to keep coming almost as fast as they were getting Queglixed, and the big robot went down on an OM1 and I had a whole round free to cross to the other side of the battleground and impale Kaemon Awa at my leisure.

2-0

Round 3:

Bill: Airborne Elite, Cyprien, Sonya, Atlaga

Bill is a former tournament winner and nobody to take lightly, even though he has never owned a single piece of his own 'Scape. He's been my buddy for 25 years and uses mine.

After we set up I realized I had stupidly, stupidly left my whole army crammed together, forgetting about the grenades. And the AE got a first round drop. Luckily, I won initiative, and used it to (a) where I could, force him to engage me on otherwise optimal grenade-throwing hexes, and otherwise (b) spread out. I still lost a couple spearmen to OM 1 grenades; I had to defend from 3 of them; but the damage was mitigated.

The Spearmen match up pretty well against Cyprien, I think. With Count Raymond they are mobile, and they don't have to be adjacent to him to attack when he's on height. Eventually they wore him down, though he and Atlaga combined to kill Count Raymond. With Raymond out, the slower spearmen had a hard time catching & killing Atlaga, but eventually I successfully caught Atlaga and turned him into a little pincushion with wings.

3-0

Round 4:

Drewcula: TKN, Nagrubs x4, Marro Warriors, Isamu

I knew everything would depend on me forcing TKN to stay off the same level as my army so he couldn't stomp his way through it, and the map was a favorable one for my cause.

I swung part of my army around to the right, to go through the high ground and get at the non-TKN portion of Drewcula's army, while on the left I put a few spearmen at key points to force TKN to stay on the upper level, and not letting him trample down. My strategy on the right flank was successful: I ran through the Marro Warriors and a bunch of Nagrubs. I also successfully kept TKN on the upper level on the left flank. Unfortunately, despite many, many attacks with impaling spearmen, I just couldn't penetrate the Hivelord's thick hide. Drewcula eventually took 2 disengage rolls and a zillion Braced Spear rolls, dealing no damage, to pull away from where I had him tied up and circle around to the other side where he landed on the same level as my troops. Then, on an initiative switch, he immediately trampled through them.

Oh well. If I'd been a little luckier with the dice the results would have been different, but perhaps I burned up my share of luck taking down Twinkie's Q9 in Round 2.

3-1

Second place.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:28 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
-I suck at playing on Typhon's maps :P

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day