Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old January 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
This week: Joah 2 Nwojedi 0

Joah has disabled reputation

This is what I use if I ever draft Tae.
I think I did once, anyway.

Balor, from the Underdark set.
Old March 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM

MrBishop is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
D&D Mini's- As well made as they appear in the pictures?

The pictures of the mini's look great on the website but are they? The painting sculpting, etc. all looks top of the line. I have never seen an actual D&D mini, so, are they actually that well made or do they do one really nice one, take lots of pictures of it, then make cheap versions for the customer? How do they compare in quality to Heroscape mini's? Are they made of the same material?

I will consider buying some (even though I hate the idea of blind purchases) if they are the quality that they first appear!

Thanks for the help folks.
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: D&D Mini's- As well made as they appear in the pictu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishop
The pictures of the mini's look great on the website but are they? The painting sculpting, etc. all looks top of the line. I have never seen an actual D&D mini, so, are they actually that well made or do they do one really nice one, take lots of pictures of it, then make cheap versions for the customer? How do they compare in quality to Heroscape mini's? Are they made of the same material?

I will consider buying some (even though I hate the idea of blind purchases) if they are the quality that they first appear!

Thanks for the help folks.
I have a bunch that I bought off of Ebay to make customs for Heroscape. In my opinion, they are decent minis, though they are a bit smaller in scale than Heroscape stuff. The overal colors seem to be fairly dark in person as well. The dark colors combined with the black bases make them not stand out as well as the Heroscape figures. The quality of the figures on the web page do seem a bit nicer than the ones I actually have, but nothing drastic. It could also just be the lighting used when taking the pictures.

If you are planning to use these for Heroscape, check Ebay, as that way you can buy what you want rather than do the random purchase thing.
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
The sculpts are good but the paint jobs are mediocre. They're not the same as the pictures. Also D&D minis are not the same scale as HS.
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbistro
The sculpts are good but the paint jobs are mediocre. They're not the same as the pictures. Also D&D minis are not the same scale as HS.
Some Monster minis are good

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old March 5th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Ted has disabled reputation
I have a massive collection of D&D minis. The normal races would not work for HS but the monsters and monster races could work well. As to the paint jobs it is very random. I have some commons that have a great paint job and rares that look like crap. Although that is not the norm. The norm would be the rares look really great and teh commons are lacking in a good paint job.
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I think the humans are the weakest, but the other creatures and figures are a real range...with the crazier, bigger monsters being quite nice. The newer the expansion wave the nicer the sculpts and paintjobs I think.

Overall I actually prefer Heroscape sculpts and paintjobs because I think Heroscape has a more interesting style.

Are you looking for anything in particular? I still have a large box of figures to trade or sell. I got rid of a lot on eBay but there's still tons left.
Old March 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM

MrBishop is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Thanks everyone. If I decide I want to load up or figure out a specific figure I want, I will let you know jcb.
Old March 31st, 2008, 08:47 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Dungeons and Dragons Dungeons of Dread

I have dungeons of dread boosters already, but am not allowed to open them till April 7th. They have sweet miniatures displayed on the side of the box like a Lamia and a Vampire spawn.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:06 PM

Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker
Lucky. I can't wait untill the release.

GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Old April 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM

kboleen is surprisingly tart
Re: D&D Mini's- As well made as they appear in the pictures?

I just purchased the 4e miniature starter set and four boosters of the new Dungeon of Dread series and they have all been excellent. In the interest of full disclosure, this is my first foray into D&D miniatures so I really don't know the quality of the older series. I read on another site that WoTC was increasing the quality of their minis (and also the price, boosters are now $15) for all new expansion releases. I guess they needed to do something with a lot of companies getting into the mini business (i.e. WOW mins). Which surprises me as I thought blind purchase mini sales were declining.

"Be of good courage..."
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
Re: D&D Mini's- As well made as they appear in the pictures?

Yes, I've been pleased with the 4th ed minis as well. Really the quality in this range has been improving from set to set. If you look at some of the early sets like Harbinger and Dragoneye, most of those minis don't match up to what's available now. I would say D&D miniatures are a solid investment for anyone looking for generic fantasy minis.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures