Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old April 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: Killometer's maps ~ updated map 4/2/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Gloomy Crevasse half map

This map was designed for the Embrace the Suck tournament in San Jose on 4/24/10. It requires 1 BftU. I designed it to give the team starting on this side the options of either rapid, protected access to the other half of the map (through the Shadow and LoS defended) corridor through the center of the map, or easily accessible, but slightly more vulnerable, positions of height.

I also added the vanity of ing and adding links to tourneys where my maps have been used in the OP.
Nice to see you using my half-map idea! I'm planning on creating an updated run with the half-map idea, using the common 24 starting zones. Maybe when that time comes you could help me oversee it?

MegaSilver
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Nice to see you using my half-map idea! I'm planning on creating an updated run with the half-map idea, using the common 24 starting zones. Maybe when that time comes you could help me oversee it?

MegaSilver
I was a little skeptical of the idea when you first ran the half-map contest, but now that I've seen it in practice I find it very interesting. My dungeon half-map was paired with cmgames SotM/VW/TJ half-map Swamp Thang
Spoiler Alert!
and, while I didn't get a chance to play it, the juxtapostion was appealing.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:58 PM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

MegaSilver
I was a little skeptical of the idea when you first ran the half-map contest, but now that I've seen it in practice I find it very interesting. My dungeon half-map was paired with cmgames SotM/VW/TJ half-map Swamp Thang
Spoiler Alert!
and, while I didn't get a chance to play it, the juxtapostion was appealing.
Well, I hope to expand the half-map idea sometime soon, so that others can enjoy it like and find it interesting like you did.

Would you be interested in helping me set up the project to bring half-maps to somewhat mainstream? I do plan on hosting a tourney at some point when people bring thier own armies and half-maps.

MegaSilver
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
[Well, I hope to expand the half-map idea sometime soon, so that others can enjoy it like and find it interesting like you did.

Would you be interested in helping me set up the project to bring half-maps to somewhat mainstream? I do plan on hosting a tourney at some point when people bring thier own armies and half-maps.

MegaSilver
Maybe you could take some of the top entries from your contest and start a thread along the lines of the TWAMP in the maps section. That would help bring the idea back into the general awareness of the site again, get some different people play-testing them and maybe get some established as "tournament-worthy". I'll be happy to intersperse my TWAMP work with work in a TWHMP. You should also poke your head in the Embrace the Suck thread in the Events forums and see if anyone who plyaed on the half-map combo has any feed-back on it.

Old April 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[Well, I hope to expand the half-map idea sometime soon, so that others can enjoy it like and find it interesting like you did.

MegaSilver
Maybe you could take some of the top entries from your contest and start a thread along the lines of the TWAMP in the maps section. That would help bring the idea back into the general awareness of the site again, get some different people play-testing them and maybe get some established as "tournament-worthy". I'll be happy to intersperse my TWAMP work with work in a TWHMP. You should also poke your head in the Embrace the Suck thread in the Events forums and see if anyone who plyaed on the half-map combo has any feed-back on it.
Well, the problem is now that my Half-Map contest is now out of date. The 48 hex start zones are unusable. I may need to run another contest with 24 hex only start zones, and then start a TWHMP (I'll change the name around of course, to avoid confusion. )

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out EtS thread.

MegaSilver
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Re: Killometer's maps ~ Horseshoe Hill added 5/5/10

I've wanted to build a 1 RotV map, but was having a difficult time not simply making an open killing field until I was inspired jointly by dok's Kitty Corner, MegaSilver's first version of Emerging Gorge and Oogie da Bruce's Secret of the Ancients to design:

Horseshoe Hill
requires 1 RotV, supports 1 random glyph

and I coincidentally answered why would you ever have to worry about shooting over voids.

Old May 6th, 2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I've wanted to build a 1 RotV map, but was having a difficult time not simply making an open killing field until I was inspired jointly by dok's Kitty Corner, MegaSilver's first version of Emerging Gorge and Oogie da Bruce's Secret of the Ancients to design:

Horseshoe Hill

and I coincidentally answered why would you ever have to worry about shooting over voids.
HaHa! I've inspired this work! Nice! The map's very neat especially with the void. It is very simplisitic, but its simplicity is what makes it neat. Good job, Kilo!

MegaSilver
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Horseshoe Hill

Always on the lookout for RoTV-only maps, I gave this one a run tonight. Fun map! Heavy Gruts vs Mohicans, and it turned into a mad scramble for the random glyph (which turned out to be Jalgard).

My initial observations:
  • The void in the middle seems to make players subconsciously move units to the outside of the map. Even though there is a safe run to move to the base of the horseshoe/U, it is a bit intimidating to have the enemy only 1 hex away...But out of reach.
  • The glyph becomes quite the choke point. Area affect units, like Shotgun Sullivan (who graced the Mohican team tonight) really seem to shine here, as it seems faster to take the low ground to the glyph...Thus creating a chaotic, churning mass of units.
  • Many a time, we tried to confirm Line of Sight over the inside facing edges of the hex adjacent to the innermost void space (the base of the horseshoe/U). That void really makes you think differently about placement of ranged units.
Thanks again for the map; it was a lot of fun.
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
Always on the lookout for RoTV-only maps, I gave this one a run tonight. Fun map! Heavy Gruts vs Mohicans, and it turned into a mad scramble for the random glyph (which turned out to be Jalgard).

My initial observations:
  • The glyph becomes quite the choke point. Area affect units, like Shotgun Sullivan (who graced the Mohican team tonight) really seem to shine here, as it seems faster to take the low ground to the glyph...Thus creating a chaotic, churning mass of units.
I haven't played this map with a glyph (most of the people I play casually with don't like them), but it sounds like it acted how I wanted-I was working to create a vortex of action as opposing armies swirled between height and the glyph.

Thanks for the report, and I'm glad you enjoyed the map.

Old May 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Re: Killometer's maps ~ Assault on Tyre scenario added 5/18/

Dino5's Design a Famous Map thread inspired me to build a map based on Alexander the Great's Assault of Tyre.

It requires 1 RotV, 1 BftU and 1 RttFF. Included in the build directions are special rules for the scenario, outlining army limits, and including a rule that allows the Attacker to replace water hexes with normal hexes, allowing them to build a bridge to the Defender's stronghold.

Old May 21st, 2010, 01:05 AM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I have begun introducing my friends to scenerio play and I may just have to play this one as the first custom scenerio. Great looking map and interesting mechanic with the causeway.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
I have begun introducing my friends to scenerio play and I may just have to play this one as the first custom scenerio. Great looking map and interesting mechanic with the causeway.
Thanks for the compliments, xraine, and I'd love to hear how it goes if you get a chance to play it.

Something to consider when deciding who plays which side (especially if you're playing with less experienced people) is that the defending side has it easier, but the attacking side usually has more fun. At least that's how it was for my brother and me during testing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios