Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 14th, 2011, 02:32 PM

Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby! Onion Knight rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Demons/ghosts and religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
PS Onion Knight, that may be a simple question but it is a long answer. I've read several books on the subject addressing all sorts of things, no one of which is likely to be THE answer you would like. In a nutshell, it is a book written over the course of more than a thousand years with dozens of human authors which is cohesive, does not contradict itself, records prophicies and the answers to those prophecies, and through it all manages to describe who we are as people with perfect accuracy.
Aldin, I appreciate the attempt at the answer, I just don't understand how your response is evidence that it is the word of God.

Please keep in mind that I have read the Bible many times, I participated in weekly Bible study for years, attended Church regularly, read multiple periphery books all in order to better understand and deepen my faith. I have argued on these very forums on your side of the argument.

But it seems to me that we just can't escape that the crux of the differences between most of the viewpoints in this thread boil down to...

"I believe this because God told me to."

-Well, how do you know it was God?

"It's in the Bible."

-How do you know that the Bible is the word of God?

"Because it says so."

-Do we have anything more firm than that?

"Yeah, it mentions some Kings and stuff that is supported by historical fact. Rome and stuff."

-I don't think that counts as evidence that it's God's word...

"Well, just look at how long it lasted amidst all kinds of scrutiny."

-Uh...

"Maybe, you don't want to believe it because you don't want to change how you live."

-Actually, I want it to be true. I think it's beautiful. I'm just trying to be honest and I'm terrified to say these things outloud.

Okay, I may have added a little of my own situation on the end but you get my point.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General